• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

ESPN Sports Science SB pass would've been caught

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
maybe if they ran the ball more in the red zone we woulda won

And maybe if JFK got the flu that morning, he wouldn't have been shot. Neither hypothetical changes the fact that the ref's blew that call and many others for a huge Ravens' advantage.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was "catchable" if the receiver was faster. Great insight. Go sportscience.

I actually did find it pretty interesting. That memorizing where the sideline thing was pretty cool IMO. I can see him doing it because he got a ton of emails stating to do one on that play. It was almost like a Mythbusters type video.

But that was not why the 49ers lost. I try to believe that if a team loses on the last play, then they can't blame it on the last play. Of course, I don't always claim it, but it really is the truth.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And maybe if JFK got the flu that morning, he wouldn't have been shot. Neither hypothetical changes the fact that the ref's blew that call and many others for a huge Ravens' advantage.

Clearly, JFK should have had the flu, why didn't we run?!!!

Just kidding, I just wanted to mix the analogy with our situation in hindsight.

By-the-way, we were going to run one but for the timeout.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually did find it pretty interesting. That memorizing where the sideline thing was pretty cool IMO. I can see him doing it because he got a ton of emails stating to do one on that play. It was almost like a Mythbusters type video.

But that was not why the 49ers lost. I try to believe that if a team loses on the last play, then they can't blame it on the last play. Of course, I don't always claim it, but it really is the truth.

Maybe it was just that I had that awareness when I played, so I didn't find that part special? I'd do the same with the ball in the air. If you see maybe .3 seconds of its trajectory you have enough to know where it will land.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

refs blew a lot of calls that game. we needed to execute with our best. imo the ravens couldn't stop kap or our running game.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was never any doubt for me that had he not been held, he would have had an attempt at catching it.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What this tells me is not that he would've caught it, but rather to those who claim the PI shouldn't have been called because it was uncatchable were being illogical when the holding was the reason it appeared so. I can't say he would've caught it or that it was likely.

Can anyone tell me whether being catchable is relevant to holding/contact beyond five yards? It doesn't seem like it would but does holding require a thrown ball at all to be called? I don't think it needs to because I feel they have called this on sack plays and the principle of the rule is against doing this. I know PIs are different and may or may not apply here.

Last edited by a moderator:

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holding should not matter if the ball is thrown, I don't believe. PI does and must be catchable.

That said, this play, you don't call in the Super Bowl. Kaepernick should adjust his throw to that.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holding should not matter if the ball is thrown, I don't believe. PI does and must be catchable.

That said, this play, you don't call in the Super Bowl. Kaepernick should adjust his throw to that.

Thanks, that's what I thought. I like to ask rather than assuming relying upon logic.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chiefs?? Really?? :lame:

I think Kansas City is on that list because if they win 8 games, we get a better draft pick. We could pick around 30 picks higher with a 8-8 record than we would with a 7-9. I think that's reason enough to root for them until 8 wins and then root for them to stall at 8. I won't root for Smith to lose (but know that beyond 8 we don't want a win), so it'd be better for them to be 6-8 going into the last two and then rooting for them to win those.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Where were all these pussy, ticky-tacky flags in the Super Bowl? :mad2: