• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

ESPN pulls Williams from MNF opening

SRPnVA

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NO WAY i WOULD VOTE FOR HIM if there is no one else I won't vote,i won't vote for some one I don't think can do the job,and OBAMA we all know he can't do the job so if thats the way it pans out I won't vote

Well in my mind Romney had a better chance vs. Obama than McCain ever did. McCain got nominated then everyone realized he didn't know shit about the economy. Then he hired Sarah Palin... The rest is history. Romney seems like a pretty smart guy. I don't really care what religion he is or any of that. I'm voting for the person who I think is the smartest of the two.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
The stupidest thing about this is that he didn't even compare anyone to Hitler. He was making an analogy about two people in diametric opposition to each other. People at Disney & ESPN are apparently too stupid to understand the difference.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Netanyahu to Hitler is a more apt comparison.

WOAH! Thems some harsh words Clyde. How is Benjamin Netanyahu similar to Adolph Hitler?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The stupidest thing about this is that he didn't even compare anyone to Hitler. He was making an analogy about two people in diametric opposition to each other. People at Disney & ESPN are apparently too stupid to understand the difference.

Or they don't think much of their customers, whom of which, of course, misinterpretted it, too. He didn't help himself when he "clarified" by saying that "they're the enemies (Obama and Biden)" because when you think Hitler you think enemy and when he said Hitler people go immediately into saying that he called Obama Hitler. My word of thumb if I ever got famous or into politics would be to never mention Hitler unless the person I was talking about was a murderous genecidal dictator (or other redundant adjectives) like Obama, I mean, Hitler. Yes, I'm only kidding.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Why didn't anyone assume he was comparing John Boehner to Hitler? This level of stupidity is very frustrating.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I like Hank's music, I tend to agree with his comments, and he's my kind of people...but damn, if you speak boldly the consequences can be bold. ESPN had to make that decision, if they don't the public, press and pols jump on it. It wasn't political, it was $$$ and distraction; they did what was inevitable. Who gives a spit about a song that opens the game?

I'm more upset about the choice of commentators than that song going away. I've watched Monday Night football long before that song became the anthem....things change...as long as they don't take away the classic theme music, I'm good!...Hell, its time for a new song, but PLEASE NOT from Faith Hill! Let's go old school, "Drop kick me Jesus through the goal posts of life."

Can't bring Howard back from the dead, but can we at least get back Giffords and Al Michaels back on?...they were the best!

I don't think so. I think if ESPN just ignores it, this gets very little attention. My guess, as some have said, is that they were looking to change to intro anyway and this gave them an excuse.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

It was a pretty thin analogy.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Netanyahu to Hitler is a more apt comparison.

WOAH! Thems some harsh words Clyde. How is Benjamin Netanyahu similar to Adolph Hitler?

He's certainly closer to Hitler than any president we've had in the last fifty years (and probably longer) if we're looking at it from the perspective of persecuting citizens in one's own nation. You only tolerate his actions because of the side he's on, Sick. If he were Muslim, and the Palestinians were Jews or Christians, you'd be completely up in arms about him.

And for the record, I'm not taking sides in the Israeli-Palestinian debate. I'm just saying Netanyahu has done some pretty awful things to the Palestinians.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
...perspective of persecuting citizens in one's own nation.

How does he persecute his own citizens?

You only tolerate his actions because of the side he's on, Sick.

Let's not get convoluted; at this point I was just asking a question.

I'm just saying Netanyahu has done some pretty awful things to the Palestinians.

Like what?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Why didn't anyone assume he was comparing John Boehner to Hitler? This level of stupidity is very frustrating.

If you're referring to your excuse-making, yes it is. He referred to Obama as "the enemy." Given his political views and the network he was appearing on, I'm sure he was referring to the conservative Prime Minister of Israel rather than the Democratic President of the US. Makes perfect sense.

As said, Williams has the right to express his opinion, and I personally think everyone is overreacting about this. Comparisons to Hitler, unfortunately, are a dime a dozen in politics. But pretending Williams wasn't making an implied comparison of Obama to Hitler is just plain dumb.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
...perspective of persecuting citizens in one's own nation.

How does he persecute his own citizens?

You only tolerate his actions because of the side he's on, Sick.

Let's not get convoluted; at this point I was just asking a question.

I'm just saying Netanyahu has done some pretty awful things to the Palestinians.

Like what?

Like bulldozing Palestinians homes, towns, and other properties.

I'm not getting convoluted. I'm being quite straight-forward. You don't have a problem with Netanyahu because he is Jewish and has taken action against Muslims. Flip that around and you'd be irate.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
If you're referring to your excuse-making, yes it is. He referred to Obama as "the enemy."

There were TWO enemies in the analogy. I don't think he's dumb enough to liken a guy who's much like leaders from a bunch of European nations (Obama) to a dictator who killed 3 million Jews. You have to infer what he was thinking to make such a conclusion. That's not fair nor intelligent. I hold people to what they do & say, not to what they could be thinking.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If you're referring to your excuse-making, yes it is. He referred to Obama as "the enemy."

There were TWO enemies in the analogy. I don't think he's dumb enough to liken a guy who's much like leaders from a bunch of European nations (Obama) to a dictator who killed 3 million Jews. You have to infer what he was thinking to make such a conclusion. That's not fair nor intelligent. I hold people to what they do & say, not to what they could be thinking.

You don't make inferences from what people say? Ever? Wow.

It's possible Williams isn't dumb enough to make the comparison outright (though I seriously doubt it), but there is absolutely no doubt which way the comparison goes. And it is never a coincidence when someone uses Hitler as a comparison point. This is not a right vs. left thing to me. Both sides use comparisons to Hitler, and they are always asinine.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00

So because you don't support Israel's sovereignty it's fair to liken him to a guy who committed the genocide of millions of people?

You don't have a problem with Netanyahu because he is Jewish and has taken action against Muslims.

If Netanyahu tried to build settlements in Egypt or Jordan I wouldn't support his actions. Since he did it in the sovereign nation of Israel he's justified. You're referring to a matter of borders not religions.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
You don't make inferences from what people say? Ever? Wow.

If I do I ask the speaker to confirm them. That's the fair thing to do.

Both sides use comparisons to Hitler, and they are always asinine.

We agree on that. It's fair to make comparisons to Nazi Germany to show what can happen if a government assumes too much power like when Hitler took over major industries (Auto, Banking, etc). But the first thing people think when they hear the word Hitler is the Genocide, so it's stupid to make that comparison unless you're comparing him to people like Mao, Stalin, Ho Chi Min, etc.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

So because you don't support Israel's sovereignty it's fair to liken him to a guy who committed the genocide of millions of people?

You don't have a problem with Netanyahu because he is Jewish and has taken action against Muslims.

If Netanyahu tried to build settlements in Egypt or Jordan I wouldn't support his actions. Since he did it in the sovereign nation of Israel he's justified. You're referring to a matter of borders not religions.

I didn't liken Netanyahu to Hitler. That's obviously not a fair comparison. I said it's a more accurate comparison than likening Obama to Hitler.

I don't think leaders should discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, or religion within their own borders. I don't think there's any justification for that, though Netanyahu certainly isn't the only world leader to engage in this sort of behavior.

Oh, but that's right. You don't make inferences. So I'm sure when he bulldozes exclusively Palestinian areas it's just coincidence. Out of curiosity, what's your view of segregation? If they say it was separate but equal, it must be true, right?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I didn't liken Netanyahu to Hitler. That's obviously not a fair comparison. I said it's a more accurate comparison than likening Obama to Hitler.

You're a little hard on Netanyahu. Obama isn't a hop skip & a jump away from a nation (Iran) with a leader who publicly said he supports the all out destruction of his country. Obama isn't neighbors with powerful terrorist groups like Hamas and Jihadists like Al Qaeda.

I don't think leaders should discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, or religion within their own borders. I don't think there's any justification for that

How is he discriminating? He didn't do a survey of people living in the west bank before the settlements.

Oh, but that's right. You don't make inferences. So I'm sure when he bulldozes exclusively Palestinian areas it's just coincidence.

To call it a "palestinian" area is to say that Israel is not a sovereign nation, but it is.

Out of curiosity, what's your view of segregation? If they say it was separate but equal, it must be true, right?

I could answer this question, but I don't want to change the subject yet again.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

You're a little hard on Netanyahu. Obama isn't a hop skip & a jump away from a nation (Iran) with a leader who publicly said he supports the all out destruction of his country. Obama isn't neighbors with powerful terrorist groups like Hamas and Jihadists like Al Qaeda.

I don't think leaders should discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, or religion within their own borders. I don't think there's any justification for that

How is he discriminating? He didn't do a survey of people living in the west bank before the settlements.

Oh, but that's right. You don't make inferences. So I'm sure when he bulldozes exclusively Palestinian areas it's just coincidence.

To call it a "palestinian" area is to say that Israel is not a sovereign nation, but it is.

Out of curiosity, what's your view of segregation? If they say it was separate but equal, it must be true, right?

I could answer this question, but I don't want to change the subject yet again.

I never said there aren't valid or semi-valid reasons for his actions, but that's irrelevant to the conversation. In their policies, Netanyahu is much more severe - and at least partially along racial/religious lines - leader than Obama or most American presidents.

We don't have to use the term Palestinian. We can say Arab or Muslim and it would have the same effect. Its policies that explicitly or in application treat groups differently. And there's a pretty good chance it would violate our Equal Protection Clause if those actions were taken in this country.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I never said there aren't valid or semi-valid reasons for his actions, but that's irrelevant to the conversation. In their policies, Netanyahu is much more severe - and at least partially along racial/religious lines - leader than Obama or most American presidents.

Fair enough. I would add that he's under much more severe circumstances than the U.S. though. I think that's a good place to end this part of the conversation unless you disagree with what I added.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Fair enough. I would add that he's under much more severe circumstances than the U.S. though. I think that's a good place to end this part of the conversation unless you disagree with what I added.

I don't disagree with that. I do agree this is a good place to end.