• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

ESPN league please help

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rising Underdogs - Free Fantasy Baseball - ESPN

I feel I am close to having top notch hitting and maybe one piece away. Rendon, Abreu, Cain, Castellanos are paying off big time and Rajai has to be a FA steal because he's getting regular ABs with Detroit unlike with Toronto. At the same time I could use stronger pitching.

I have thought of packaging Wieters with something to aim for Posey. I have also thought of using Votto or Stanton to grab a ace or get the best 1b or top 5 OF. And with Votto hot right now, there really could be no better time. I also have Machado on the DL and I think he'll be an upgrade over Asche when he returns and then there's Taveras which remains to be seen.

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never played in a league that scored game winning RBI, double plays turned, or outfield assists.. so I'll abstain from any specific opinion.

But given that position players have 11 scoring categories, none of which are negative. .And pitchers only have 7, one if which is negative and another of which may as well be called the mythical unicorn category. ..I wouldn't be too concerned with trading for an ace.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pick up Sunday starters, doesn't matter if they're great or not. Abuse that 12 start - Sunday exemption rule. If your staff leads your league in innings you'll be great. If your staff is even close, you'll be just fine. Its of the utmost importance in ESPN leagues. Rendon and Nicky C will both have 3rd base eligibility soon. (Very soon for Castellanos) not sure what you have at second, but Rendon,(prolly your lone second baseman) Nicky C and Machado is overkill at the hot corner to me. I wouldn't be too worried about trading Votto for another 1st baseman personally. But if be emptying my position players and adding pitching depth.... Depth that's set to start on Sunday.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think I'd waste talent by packaging anyone with Wieters for Posey. Wieters can be a fine catcher. I would wait it out a little bit, and strike when the iron (or the player) is hot with one of your OF for a SP. Pretty decent team if Machado can come back strong... speaking of which, his hype might take a spike up upon the eve of his return, so I wonder if you can upgrade at 3rd, and just wait out the pitching for now??

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I did just drop Asche for Kousmanof, or however you spell it. And I picked up Springer upon hearing he was coming up. I got too many outfielders though and none are droppable to me. Cain is important for those steals and I believe Taveras is up if he stays healthy before the end of May. I do have those set up guys that help my pitching out though.

The thing with Votto is he is untrustworthy. And he plays for a team the cards and brewers when at their best can beat up on and he is under immense presure in the proccess. And Stanton, well, he has a injury past. And considering the marlins still rely on him I'm concerned he's going to get hurt again. Players get hurt on bad teams.

Last edited by a moderator:

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I did just drop Asche for Kousmanof, or however you spell it. And I picked up Springer upon hearing he was coming up. I got too many outfielders though and none are droppable to me. Cain is important for those steals and I believe Taveras is up if he stays healthy before the end of May. I do have those set up guys that help my pitching out though.

The thing with Votto is he is untrustworthy. And he plays for a team the cards and brewers when at their best can beat up on and he is under immense presure in the proccess. And Stanton, well, he has a injury past. And considering the marlins still rely on him I'm concerned he's going to get hurt again. Players get hurt on bad teams.

Players don't get hurt any more often on bad teams, they are just less likely to play through minor injuries. Stanton looks like an elite hitter right now, so don't sell him for less than late first round value.

As for Votto, he might be the best hitter in baseball. His only flaw is that he does not ever chase a pitch outside of the zone and he is completely content to take a walk. He is as trustworthy as they come, sure to give you an average over .300, 100 runs and 75+ RBI from the 2 spot. Since your league seems heavily skewed towards hitting, it would be hard to get equal value in a Votto for SP trade.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing with Votto is he is untrustworthy.
:wtf2:

Cain is important for those steals and I believe Taveras is up if he stays healthy before the end of May

Looks like Lorenzo has hit the DL and the Cardinals are very patient, and they will stick with Bourjos/Jay until deep into the year, IMO. Not that Oscar is a bad stash or anything, but May? I disagree.

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I had to drop Cain. Last week I lost big and now six games out of my division. I added set-up guys with the lowest ERA on FA. I'm actually thinking of selling Cueto or Shields for a closer and another good set-up pitcher. What I might do is try to upgrade on hitting, pair Stanton with Cueto or Shields to try to get a bigger OF or a upgrade at shortstop, which is my big weakness. Or shop one of my pitchers for a SS and closer.

What could I get for Stanton+Shields, Shields alone, or Cueto alone?

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Machado being back should hopefully boost my hitting. Is Alex Pressley about to slump again? Who right now is getting big playing time due to injury?

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
whoa!! slow down Brees!

1. a bigger OF than Stanton? :wtf2: (I wouldn't take Trout for Stanton and Shields or Cueto)
2. you are being too short (pardon the pun) with JJ Hardy... he will come around to hit 20-25 HR
3. trading Cueto and/or Shields is not a good idea (IMO), they are the strength of your rotation and you'll notice it when they're gone
4. you should clean up your hitters, and add more pitching (especially if you're intent on trading some to upgrade hitters)... no need of owning guys like Alex Presley, Colby Rasmus, or Olt.
5. the RP you picked up might look nice now, but that's a dangerous road to travel, as they can (and will) easily skyrocket your ERA and WHIP with one bad outing.

I might try Farquhar, and definitely grab Hector Rondon who might be the Cubs new closer.
Grab pitchers like Roark and Trevor Bauer (who should be getting called up very soon).

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What could you get for Stanton and Pitcher X? Whatever you wanted. . And it wouldn't be enough. Don't do that

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bauer is almost 100% on his way now... Carrasco to the bullpen!

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
whoa!! slow down Brees!

1. a bigger OF than Stanton? :wtf2: (I wouldn't take Trout for Stanton and Shields or Cueto)
I get the sense the marlins are playing well at home, but terrible away.

2. you are being too short (pardon the pun) with JJ Hardy... he will come around to hit 20-25 HR

Hopefully
3. trading Cueto and/or Shields is not a good idea (IMO), they are the strength of your rotation and you'll notice it when they're gone

4. you should clean up your hitters, and add more pitching (especially if you're intent on trading some to upgrade hitters)... no need of owning guys like Alex Presley, Colby Rasmus, or Olt.

Rasmus can hot for power though, he's matchup friendly against teams that are bad with pitching or well managed(red sox). And Ozuna seems to be good for home games and hitter parks, evidenced by him homering against the braves. So I need alternatives.
5. the RP you picked up might look nice now, but that's a dangerous road to travel, as they can (and will) easily skyrocket your ERA and WHIP with one bad outing.

Having more than one helps though. When I am short on starting caliber pitchers I need those set-up guys to help lower the ERA and WHIP. Last year I had Rosenthal and Crain and they did wonders. I still have Rosenthal(drafted) but he's now a closer and Motte is on DL.

I might try Farquhar, and definitely grab Hector Rondon who might be the Cubs new closer.
Grab pitchers like Roark and Trevor Bauer (who should be getting called up very soon).

Roark is gone. And Bauer has burned me before and he plays for an AL team. This is a 12 team keeper league here. Well I just did make some trade offers. I offeredShields in only 1 but I did offer Cole in others. I am trying to get that extra boost in hitting that I need. And I have bad weakness in stolen bases and my biggest division rival has good hitting, good pitching, and is strong in that steal stat due to having Mike Trout. I made one stupid move before the season started......dropping Melky.

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I picked up Bauer

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is it specifically Sunday starters?

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is it specifically Sunday starters?

You can have 11 starter go between Monday and Saturday. Or 12, but if you do, then your done getting points for starters. If you have 11 or less go prior to Sunday, you can have five starters go, and three more if they qualify as relievers, and still get their points. It's the major flaw in ESPN scoring. And the key to victory.

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I added Niese and Locke. Niese will pitch on Sunday as well, Locke is just set for Monday atm.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Locke stays up he should be pitching Sunday. (Assuming he does well enough against Petit tommorrow.)Buccos have an off day on Thursday. Those extra Sunday starts are a monstrous advantage.

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can have 11 starter go between Monday and Saturday. Or 12, but if you do, then your done getting points for starters. If you have 11 or less go prior to Sunday, you can have five starters go, and three more if they qualify as relievers, and still get their points. It's the major flaw in ESPN scoring. And the key to victory.

Drives me up the wall in our league Smitty.:gaah: