• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

ESPN Insider - Ranking WRs into fantasy tiers

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Part 1 of 3

Ranking WRs into fantasy tiers a useful exercise
Eric Karabell

Fantasy owners probably don’t need to be reminded over and over and over about how deep the wide receiver position is, but that hardly means a tiered system for draft preparation doesn’t remain critical. There are, like in the other positions, the best of the best at wide receiver comprising a top section, then scores of others providing -- at least in theory, as this is merely projecting -- varying levels of expected performance, security and other factors making them a bit less valuable. And so on and so on until you get past the top 60 or so options.

Last week we started this informative -- to me as well! -- summer process of directing players into tiers, and just like the quarterback list, this is pretty much one man’s opinion and it can be swayed from time to time. I’m hardly so set in my ways when it comes to life, love and the pursuit of evaluating players and strategies that I cannot evolve with the times, even though I nearly ranked Mike Quick. You should make your own rankings and tiers, too, and don’t include 1980s wide receivers. But if you don’t, here are my thoughts at wide receiver.

Tier 1: Very start of Round 1!

Antonio Brown, Pittsburgh Steelers:
Yes, this is the first time I’ve had a wide receiver No. 1 overall as best I can tell, but Brown is deserving. What can he do for you? In the past two seasons, he has averaged 132 receptions for 1,766 yards and 12 scores. And by the way, this blog entry and the tiers are for standard (non-PPR) leagues. Brown’s the best and arguably in his own top tier.

Julio Jones, Atlanta Falcons: You could switch him with the next guy on this list, based on upside and touchdowns, and I wouldn’t argue. I’m not going to dig too deep comparing them. Jones gets more targets, scores less, but did outscore Odell Beckham Jr. in 2015 in fantasy. Even that could change.

Odell Beckham Jr., New York Giants: Pretty darn good. No complaints.

DeAndre Hopkins, Houston Texans: Scared us ever so briefly by holding out. He’ll be fine. This ends my top tier.

Tier 2: Later in Round 1, early Round 2

A.J. Green, Cincinnati Bengals: Like many of the fellows here, not much negative to point out. Has never caught 100 passes nor scored 12 times, but it wouldn’t be surprising if each occurred this fall.

Dez Bryant, Dallas Cowboys: Worry about the foot and his quarterback’s health, but the numbers from 2012-14 were outstanding. Could make the case for him in top tier.

Allen Robinson, Jacksonville Jaguars: The No. 4 wide receiver in standard formats could use more targets, but he really is this good. Just check out his cool tattoo.

Jordy Nelson, Green Bay Packers: He’s back, and for now there’s no reason to expect a drop-off from 2013-14 numbers.

Brandon Marshall, New York Jets: Outscored every receiver except Brown and Jones last season, and Ryan Fitzpatrick is back to make it all happen again. No, really, he could.

Tier 3: Round 3

Alshon Jeffery, Chicago Bears: Too generous? Perhaps, but I don’t see much difference in his projected stats and those of Nelson and Marshall. Could score 10 times and flirt with 90 catches. Again.

Mike Evans, Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Pretty much everyone expects more catches, more yards and the touchdowns from his rookie year, not last year. I concur.

Amari Cooper, Oakland Raiders: Reminds me of Julio Jones. When he’s more consistent, numbers could look the same, too.

Keenan Allen, San Diego Chargers: PPR stalwart needs to stay on the field. Might have led the league in catches last year had he not suffered a lacerated kidney last year.

Tier 4: Early-round 4

Sammy Watkins, Buffalo Bills: I admit the Clemson star scares me a bit, but the skills are elite. Worth a look.

Brandin Cooks, New Orleans Saints: Reminds me of Watkins. Could be better, could be a top-10 guy. Just wasn’t consistent.

Tier 5: Later-round 4

Demaryius Thomas, Denver Broncos: The current state of Denver quarterbacks might scare you away, but ask yourself this: Was Peyton Manning good last season? Thomas was still one of seven wide receivers to catch 100 passes, and he was 13th at the position in standard fantasy points. And he could be a lot better this year if he limits the drops.

T.Y. Hilton, Indianapolis Colts: The return of Andrew Luck should solve whatever concerns you have with him.

Julian Edelman, New England Patriots: Injury is the problem, not that his starting quarterback will miss the first four games. And you can see I’m not terribly worried about his durability.

Randall Cobb, Green Bay Packers: Two years ago he was great. What changed last year? Jordy Nelson was gone, so more attention shifted toward Cobb. Now, Nelson's not.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Part 2 of 3

Tier 6: Round 5

Doug Baldwin, Seattle Seahawks: I seem to be alone on some island in liking the veteran Baldwin, who was pretty ordinary for four NFL years and half of 2015 and then … he was Jerry Rice. Russell Wilson is awesome. They can run the ball. Why can’t Baldwin be a top-20 WR?

Jeremy Maclin, Kansas City Chiefs: Top-20 wide receiver last year with Alex Smith at QB. Don’t misread the situation. Maclin’s good and safe.

Kelvin Benjamin, Carolina Panthers: Welcome back! Now your team’s offense is a bit different than you remember it, but you should fit in nicely.

Jarvis Landry, Miami Dolphins: Everything but the touchdowns, and it wouldn’t be so shocking if those doubled.

Eric Decker, Jets: Last year's success was mainly about the touchdowns, and it wouldn’t be so shocking if those were sliced in half, unfortunately.

Donte Moncrief, Colts: Breakout guy for many, including myself. Just make sure you’ve got safe WRs already secured.

Tier 7: Round 6

Josh Gordon, Cleveland Browns: Perhaps he deserves his own tier, really. Could be a top-five WR. He was in 2013. Could be out of football before you read this. You think anyone knows? This is roughly where I’m comfortable taking on the risk.

Golden Tate, Detroit Lions: Calvin Johnson is gone and someone has to catch 90 passes with 1,000 yards. Golden opportunity for Tate.

Emmanuel Sanders, Broncos: See his pal Demaryius. When Trevor Siemian throws 32 touchdown passes we’re all gonna look silly passing on Sanders, too.

Tier 8: Early-round 8

Larry Fitzgerald, Arizona Cardinals: The Cardinals get their own tier. Yes, taking the old guy first among this trio goes against conventional wisdom, but haven’t we doubted him before and looked silly?

Michael Floyd, Cardinals: Perhaps the most upside of the three, probably, but it’s been four years now with ordinary results. I think the numbers improve, but we’ve also looked silly recommending the breakout.

John Brown, Cardinals: A mere two games with more than 100 receiving yards, but still topped 1,000. Seems like there’s a floor here that scares me. And I have no interest in choosing more than one Cardinals receiver. I’ll probably avoid the guessing game, actually.

Tier 9: Later-round 8

DeVante Parker, Dolphins: Popular breakout candidate based on first-round draft status a year ago and six receptions of more than 20 yards in the final three weeks of his rookie year. But likely a bit overrated in fantasy.

Allen Hurns, Jaguars: A bit underrated, actually. One of 10 wide receivers to reach double-digits in touchdowns last season. Not saying he gets there again, but he’s more proven than most realize.

Jordan Matthews, Philadelphia Eagles: Staying in the slot, methinks, but still a solid contributor.

Tier 10: Round 10

DeSean Jackson, Washington Redskins: Finally, fantasy owners aren’t choosing him as a top-20 wide receiver. He’s overly reliant on the big plays, and could be wearing out his welcome with this team.

Michael Crabtree, Raiders: Surprising performance from him in nearly matching his career year. But unlikely to continue as Cooper emerges more.

Marvin Jones, Lions: Looked better before the Anquan Boldin signing, but there could be a 1,000-yard campaign looming.

Kevin White, Bears: Essentially a rookie after missing last season, so don’t forget the upside. Problem is Jay Cutler isn’t the gunslinger he used to be.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Part 3 of 3

Tier 11: Round 11

Sterling Shepard, Giants: Hotshot rookie should star, but it’s hard to recommend No. 2 receivers on the same team as the top receivers. Is there one in Pittsburgh, Atlanta or Houston you like? How about Dallas and Cincinnati? Thought so.

Tyler Lockett, Seahawks: He’s the real reason you worry about Baldwin.

Michael Thomas, Saints: We’ve seen plenty of rookie receivers have big seasons. Drew Brees has a star here.

Corey Coleman, Browns: One of many new Browns receivers, but a dynamic option if he gets the targets.

Tier 12: Round 12

Willie Snead, Saints: Feels like a monster drop-off from Tier 11, no? Snead nearly reached 1,000 yards, and despite a rookie competing with him, each could thrive with Brees.

Vincent Jackson, Buccaneers: Yep, he’s still in the league, and two seasons ago -- and three and four and five -- he topped 1,000 yards and used to score touchdowns. Not that most people care. They simply won’t draft an old wide receiver.

Tavon Austin, Los Angeles Rams: The rushing yards do help, but don't seem too repeatable with Todd Gurley around. And the receiving portion of the yards isn’t there.

Torrey Smith, San Francisco 49ers: Keep telling yourself how Chip Kelly is a genius. But still, this late, why not Torrey Smith?

Markus Wheaton, Steelers: Antonio’s sidekick with Martavis Bryant missing the season due to suspension. They’re not the same talent.

Stefon Diggs, Minnesota Vikings: Had us fooled for a month or so last season before destroying the owners who kept relying on him.

Tier 13: Round 14-plus

Travis Benjamin, Chargers: Sneaky-nice option in PPR formats.

Kendall Wright, Tennessee Titans: Hard to believe he had 94 catches for 1,079 yards in 2013. Has 93 catches for 1,123 since.

Mohamed Sanu, Falcons: Ask Roddy White about how much Julio Jones shares the wealth.

Laquon Treadwell, Vikings: Can argue this rookie over Diggs. Fair point.

Dorial Green-Beckham, Titans: Can argue him over Wright, too. The overriding point is relying on Vikings and Titans receivers isn’t a great idea.

Steve Smith Sr., Baltimore Ravens: Feel like I’ve vastly underrated him. Wasn’t he producing major numbers before the injury? I’m not worried about him being old. I probably need to move Smith up a few tiers.

Will Fuller, Texans: A good rookie, but again, how many targets could there possibly be?

Josh Doctson, Redskins: Rookie, and not a healthy one at this point.

Anquan Boldin, Lions: Depth signing, most likely.

Phillip Dorsett, Colts: Likely to move up a few tiers soon if the Colts keep promising he’ll be the third fellow in the three-receiver offense. Immense upside with him and Moncrief. Perhaps Hilton is in the wrong tier.

Breshad Perriman, Ravens: If only knees didn’t tear so easily.

leftypower

THE NFL HAS GONE TO HELL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again - flow of the draft and what other owners do - will definitely affect the rds - - as will league settings. In a 3WR league, no way do some of those guys last until the rds denoted - ex, all tier 3 guys. ...

Tiers are fine although not really any different that just a list. ... defining generic rds is really a wasted effort IMO.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This tier system I disagree with a lot...

Can I ask, why punish DThomas and not have an equal punishment for Emanual sanders?? That makes no sense to me...

and by ranking Gordon so high, shouldn't that hurt Coleman more??

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol at desean could be wearing out his welcome with the team. Whoever wrote that clearly doesn't research much. Dude has caused exactly 0 problems in DC aside from giving opposing DCs headaches.

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DJac gets hurt too much. That's the problem. It's hard to draft him. But he works for a WR 4 or 5.

Yeah the colts could have hurt Hilton with his new role. Moncrief could end up the new top option.

Thomas is definitely in a great spot but I worry about the saints dividing up reps outside of Cooks. Really hope Nicks does not make the final roster.

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This tier system I disagree with a lot...

Can I ask, why punish DThomas and not have an equal punishment for Emanual sanders?? That makes no sense to me...

and by ranking Gordon so high, shouldn't that hurt Coleman more??
I Get the point, but my two cents as to why. .Sanchez, Semien, Lynch, whatever it ends up being, the probability of them having a connecting with a superb consistent, shot to intermediate route runner, and playing the short passing game, will hurt Sanders less than it would hurt DT, so from a certain POV, the more you downgrade DT, the less you have to downgrade Sanders, as in, he thinks Sanders' skilled is a better fit for a bad QB than DT's is. .I get where he's coming from, not so sure I agree, but I can see why he would think that

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So sick of this Josh Gordon hype. Can't wait until he shuts me up or shuts everyone else up.