• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Enough evidence to prove Dez's catch was called correctly

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,454.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dez2.0.gif

boltfan72

ex-Charger fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"was called correctly", as in "initially called correctly"? Pretty clear he's stretching for the goal line, i.e. making a "football move".

BoBlake

Hoopla Cash
$ 937.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"was called correctly", as in "initially called correctly"? Pretty clear he's stretching for the goal line, i.e. making a "football move".

What would (could) he have done differently had he just decided to "go down"?

boltfan72

ex-Charger fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What would (could) he have done differently had he just decided to "go down"?
Well if he were on the 10 yard line I don't think he stretches the ball. Probably pulls it in and maintains control. Look I won't debate whether or not the ball came out. I just think the rule is lame. Anybody with eyes can watch that video and see that he had both feet down, took another step, and stretched the ball. Throughout all that he had control and made a football move.

Cowboys got hosed, rule is lame. In an effort to take judgment away from the refs the NFL also took away common sense.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As obnoxiously insulting to everyone's intelligence the rule is, it was the correct call per the rules. The rule is pretty awful in general when we now have multiple games, including now a playoff game, where this swung the odds towards one team, dramatically. That's not what the rules are meant to do so long as the actions are within reason.

jctoo

cult elitist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not trying to be ass (ok, yes I am), but whatever happened to the rule that the ground cannot cause a fumble?

BoBlake

Hoopla Cash
$ 937.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not trying to be ass (ok, yes I am), but whatever happened to the rule that the ground cannot cause a fumble?

It still can't, but 100% of the time the ground causes incomplete passes.

jctoo

cult elitist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As obnoxiously insulting to everyone's intelligence the rule is, it was the correct call per the rules. The rule is pretty awful in general when we now have multiple games, including now a playoff game, where this swung the odds towards one team, dramatically. That's not what the rules are meant to do so long as the actions are within reason.

Instant replay was intended to end the controversy's ... it hasn't. So if it doesn't perform as intended, shouldn't they just do away with it?

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Instant replay was intended to end the controversy's ... it hasn't. So if it doesn't perform as intended, shouldn't they just do away with it?

I think we are being disingenuous if we imply Replay was intended to solve everything. There are some items that aren't really reviewable for a reason- they are implicitly judgement calls. Not saying the entire rulebook is invalid, I am just implying this particular rule is a very awkward fit, at best, and needs to undergo some significant changes here. As it stands right now, it's very difficult, for me at least, to say with a straight face Dez didn't catch it in the plainest of terms. Officially, it was correctly ruled as incomplete per current NFL rules, however.

jctoo

cult elitist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we are being disingenuous if we imply Replay was intended to solve everything. There are some items that aren't really reviewable for a reason- they are implicitly judgement calls. Not saying the entire rulebook is invalid, I am just implying this particular rule is a very awkward fit, at best, and needs to undergo some significant changes here. As it stands right now, it's very difficult, for me at least, to say with a straight face Dez didn't catch it in the plainest of terms. Officially, it was correctly ruled as incomplete per current NFL rules, however.

The comment was somewhat tongue in cheek ... I know that no rule will solve everything, but it seems instant replay has caused just as much controversy as existed prior to implementation.

As to the ruling ... 1/2 dozen one, six another ...

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The comment was somewhat tongue in cheek ... I know that no rule will solve everything, but it seems instant replay has caused just as much controversy as existed prior to implementation.

Not even close.

Now we argue about splitting hairs on close plays like that Dez catch. Before we would have to lament completely blown plays that were clearly incorrectly called deciding the outcome of a game.

Fan's would mob the league office with torches and pitchforks (or at the very least ridiculous amount of insulting tweets) if they took instant replay out of the game within a week or two of removing it.

There is an overturned call (a call that was CLEARLY wrong) in most NFL games. Letting those stand would incense the fans, players and coaches knowing there is a system to fix it.