• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Electric smokers

SU Nittany Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,096.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a Green Mountain pellet smoker and love it. The one in post 2 looks interesting.

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I looked at electric smokers last month when I decided to replace my homemade drum smoker.

I ultimately decided on a propane smoker, as it's easier to just replace a burner if it wears out than the electric stuff.
b-bb-bbcdbd14_img_20120918_181156-jpeg.338522

I went with the Smoke Hollow 44" smoker. This thing is massive. All of 5 feet tall, maybe more. I've used it 4 times now and absolutely love it. I can set it at 250 and know that in 3 or 4 hours is still gonna be 250.
It does require many wood chip refills on a long smoke tho. The chip pans are small. I solved that problem by getting an A-MAZE-N Pellet Smoker and running that on the bottom rack. I can get up to 12 hours of smoke from that.
51nnSgKFVmL._SX466_.jpg

Also, instead of filling the water pan with water, I put 3 red clay bricks in it instead to act as a heat sink. The jury is still out in that one. I'll know more after this weekend.

Do you use chips or pellets in this tray?

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you use chips or pellets in this tray?

It's designed for pellets. What it's not designed for are propane smokers. I struggled to keep it lit this weekend, and couldn't figure out why. After researching it a bit I learned that propane burners take a lot of oxygen to run and leaves none for the smoldering pellets.
There some mods that are required to allow extra air flow into the unit. Eventually I will add a small 4" vent fan, operated by a rheostat, to it so I can fine tune the amount of airflow into the pellets
It seems like a lot of extra work, but in the long run it will give me a "set it and forget it" smoker

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's designed for pellets. What it's not designed for are propane smokers. I struggled to keep it lit this weekend, and couldn't figure out why. After researching it a bit I learned that propane burners take a lot of oxygen to run and leaves none for the smoldering pellets.
There some mods that are required to allow extra air flow into the unit. Eventually I will add a small 4" vent fan, operated by a rheostat, to it so I can fine tune the amount of airflow into the pellets
It seems like a lot of extra work, but in the long run it will give me a "set it and forget it" smoker

My electric like with previous electrics I've had has the issue of adding chips. This could help a lot if it will fit in the wood box.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been using electric smokers for years. You cannot beat them for simplicity and ease of use. I make brisket, beef and pork ribs, pulled pork, burgers and my favorite bacon.

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My electric like with previous electrics I've had has the issue of adding chips. This could help a lot if it will fit in the wood box.
They make two sizes. I bought the 5x7 size tray and it fits where the regular wood box fits.

I don't remember what the other size is. They also make tube smokers (lol) that probably wouldn't work well with smokers.

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Cobrabit

Has it stood the test of time.

Or have you moved on to something else?

Still going well. Only issue I've had was the tube that you remove and add wood chips to warped under the heat and was difficult to reinsert. I ended up taking plyers and bending the side walls down to taper it to make it easier. However, I did buy the A-maze-n grid for pellets and just light that for a continuous smoke without having to add chips during a long cook. If I'm just doing burgers, chicken, or something else with only an hour or two of smoke, I still use the tube and chips. For the butt below, I used the A-maze-n grid. The ribs, turkey burgers, and sausage were with chips. Those were the most recent smokes I've done with pictures.
20200328_193934.jpg 20200418_160926.jpg
No other complaints and it's extremely easy. Set your temp and it's like a crocpot in maintaining it, even in cold, rainy conditions. Temp may fluctuate plus or minus 10 degrees, but that's a lot better than maintaining a stick burner under similar conditions.

I'd definitely buy again.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still going well. Only issue I've had was the tube that you remove and add wood chips to warped under the heat and was difficult to reinsert. I ended up taking plyers and bending the side walls down to taper it to make it easier. However, I did buy the A-maze-n grid for pellets and just light that for a continuous smoke without having to add chips during a long cook. If I'm just doing burgers, chicken, or something else with only an hour or two of smoke, I still use the tube and chips. For the butt below, I used the A-maze-n grid. The ribs, turkey burgers, and sausage were with chips. Those were the most recent smokes I've done with pictures.
View attachment 242069 View attachment 242070
No other complaints and it's extremely easy. Set your temp and it's like a crocpot in maintaining it, even in cold, rainy conditions. Temp may fluctuate plus or minus 10 degrees, but that's a lot better than maintaining a stick burner under similar conditions.

I'd definitely buy again.

That looks great.
Looks like you've done that a few times.

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That looks great.
Looks like you've done that a few times.

I've certainly gotten good use out of it over these two years. My favorites are Boston butts and pork belly burnt ends. Burgers are also really good smoked.