• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Effects of Tua's injury

Bedlam131

Boomer Sooner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Tua had a season ending injury (hopefully it will not be a career ending injury). I am not here to argue whether he should or should not have played or who is "at fault" but, to think about the effects of that injury on college football.

First, how badly will it effect bowl season? We have already, in the past few years, seen high profile and draft pick players skip their bowls. Will Tua's injury make more players reconsider playing in a bowl? Will bowls become just glorified scrimmage games between teams playing next year's roster? I fear this will be the case outside the CFP and maybe the New Years Six bowls.

Second. There have been bad injuries in football the last few years but, none as high profile as Tua. Will this cause the NCAA and Athletic Departments further water down the game we love in the name if "safety?"

Anyone have any other ideas on the effects?

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will bowls become just glorified scrimmage games

That's how they started out in the beginning.
And most have fallen into that category ever since.

If it's a glorified scrimmage, and not a playoff game, then I have no real problem with players skipping them if they feel the need.

And I'm not sure what might be done in the Tua case that would have made it not happen.

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will this cause the NCAA and Athletic Departments further water down the game we love in the name if "safety?"
What could have been changed about that play to make it safer other than going to two hand touch on the Qb's?

Hang_On_Sloopy08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Football is a dying sport with about a 2-3 year shelf life after this injury.

Bedlam131

Boomer Sooner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What could have been changed about that play to make it safer other than going to two hand touch on the Qb's?

Nothing in my opinion but, that will not prevent those who have never played the game or simply do not understand it from changing it to be more "safe" Whether the change is effective or not.

Diego Roll Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing in my opinion but, that will not prevent those who have never played the game or simply do not understand it from changing it to be more "safe" Whether the change is effective or not.

Unfortunately, hard hits (even high ones) are not the culprit in most cases. The plays that end seasons usually are ones in which a player is fallen on in a bad way. There is no way to prevent this, as players are just bigger and more athletic today.

You could change most any rule, but it isn’t going to change the fundamental laws of physics or anatomy.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tua shouldn't have been on the field and even though the injury wasn't ankle related, we will never know if a healthy Tua avoids that take down. However Alabama was in playoff contention and no one is going to bail on that opportunity.

As for meanness bowl, high projected players will continue to make "business decisions" and that is now part of the game. Can't blame em but there are plenty of guys who are going to suit up to show something to the scouts one last time or because they love their teammates.

What happened to Tua doesn't move the needle.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Football is a dying sport with about a 2-3 year shelf life after this injury.

Congratulations. People have said some pretty stupid hyperbolic stuff in this forum before...but you sir are the cat's ass...

Here's your trophy...

iu

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 0.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh... It's a violent sport. If you try to play it "safely," then it becomes an entirely different game. Either take the risks, or miss out on the potential rewards.

Hang_On_Sloopy08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congratulations. People have said some pretty stupid hyperbolic stuff in this forum before...but you sir are the cat's ass...

Here's your trophy...

iu

My 3 year old niece has stronger feels than you you little triggered soul.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remains to be seen. I heard this was like the Jackson injury which won't be good. Hoping for the best for him.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My 3 year old niece has stronger feels than you you little triggered soul.

Without knowing anything about her, I am going to guess that she could type something in here that was less retarded with her little 3-year old ham fists. It might be less coherent, but it wouldn't be any dumber.

iu

Bedlam131

Boomer Sooner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh... It's a violent sport. If you try to play it "safely," then it becomes an entirely different game. Either take the risks, or miss out on the potential rewards.

I do not disagree but, some will try and make it a "safe" sport.

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally, I don't give a fuck and don't understand why anyone else would.

The kid breaks easy. So, finish the degree and get a GDed job like the rest of us.

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally, I don't give a fuck and don't understand why anyone else would.

The kid breaks easy. So, finish the degree and get a GDed job like the rest of us.

There could be something to that.

Maybe it's in the water in Hawaii.

Every one of their highly touted QB's break like brittle. Mariotta at Oregon, The kid from UCF. Now Tua.

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There could be something to that.

Maybe it's in the water in Hawaii.

Every one of their highly touted QB's break like brittle. Mariotta at Oregon, The kid from UCF. Now Tua.

Well, it happens. Those Samoans are strong as hell...maybe stronger than their joints can handle. With those bad ankles, his hip might have been fucky after walking unnaturally from ankle pain.

Hell, I dislocated my shoulder in HS football. Should my mommy have stood out in front of the school and demanded football not be so rough? Fuck no, shit happens. Tua's hip means nothing.
At 50 years old, my shoulder never hurts anymore, but my ankle, wrist, knee and hip are all fucked up from playing tennis. Obviously, tennis needs safety regulation.

Hang_On_Sloopy08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Without knowing anything about her, I am going to guess that she could type something in here that was less retarded with her little 3-year old ham fists. It might be less coherent, but it wouldn't be any dumber.

iu

How did get triggered AF about an obvious joke about the OP? Must breed them pretty soft down in the south.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's how they started out in the beginning.
And most have fallen into that category ever since.

If it's a glorified scrimmage, and not a playoff game, then I have no real problem with players skipping them if they feel the need.

And I'm not sure what might be done in the Tua case that would have made it not happen.

Maybe that is how the rest of you weirdos think but there hasn’t been a Rose Bowl game outside of the WWII era where the game was remotely a glorified scrimmage.