• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: ECF: Boston Celtics vs Cleveland Cavs

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we're gonna see some offensive explosion from JR in this series. The last 2 series he was the primary defender for Paul George and then DeMar DeRozan. This series will be a big break for him defensively.

Jordan23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we're gonna see some offensive explosion from JR in this series. The last 2 series he was the primary defender for Paul George and then DeMar DeRozan. This series will be a big break for him defensively.
big break, aren't they planning on having him guard Thomas?

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
big break, aren't they planning on having him guard Thomas?

No, Lue said he doesn't like JR on point guards, he's gonna keep him away from IT.

Kyrie (and Shump when he's in) will be in charge of IT. JR will be on Bradley.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah, still gotta play the games. Shit can happen
True.

That said: I'm a huge Celtics fan and I put their odds of winning a seven game series against a healthy Cleveland team at around 2%.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A hell of a lot better than that Wiz defense
It's all a matter of motivation... when LeBron is motivated, he's a one man defensive patch on an otherwise lackluster defensive team.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's all a matter of motivation... when LeBron is motivated, he's a one man defensive patch on an otherwise lackluster defensive team.
ehhh....of course LEBron, but Shumpert, Smith, Thompson are all solid defenders as well.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ehhh....of course LEBron, but Shumpert, Smith, Thompson are all solid defenders as well.
Yeah... the Wizards have a lot of "solid" defenders too if you look at them one by one... yet, they don't play solid team defense for some reason. Something's gotta give.

It's motivation. These "solid" guys are coasting a lot of the time... but effort is a lot of what makes or breaks defense.

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True.

That said: I'm a huge Celtics fan and I put their odds of winning a seven game series against a healthy Cleveland team at around 2%.

Easy boy easy boy

2%? Really?

( I have them at 1%)

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Cavs win this is 6.

I think the Celtics will steal this first game. LOL at the #1 seed having to "steal" a game though. The Celtics are coming off a tough series that has them playing at the highest level. The Cavs have had a huge layoff and some rust could be there, just like the Warriors against the Spurs in game 1. Add to the fact that role players generally play better at home and I think the Celtics win this one. The Celtics defense looks good right now on the perimeter. If they can rebound half way decent in this game, I have a feeling they get game 1.

larryjohn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah... the Wizards have a lot of "solid" defenders too if you look at them one by one... yet, they don't play solid team defense for some reason. Something's gotta give.
It's motivation. These "solid" guys are coasting a lot of the time... but effort is a lot of what makes or breaks defense.

What the Cavs did last year in the finals ... and the only way they will win this year ... is to play solid team defense.

This is where I think Love, Korver and somewhat Irving are better defenders than they appear. A lot of NBA is not one-on-one (where they would struggle) -- but is pick&roll where it is more about defending as a team (switch or hedge, rotation, etc) than it is just defending the single guy you are guarding. A key part of that defense is knowing where to be as the play unfolds.

One constant is the bigs need to be able (at least sometimes) to switch onto the ball handler -- and a guy like Kevin Love has shown he can occasionally do that and not embarrass himself ... much. (better than Kanter, ZaZa, Bogut, ... and some other Cs) (but Kevin should avoid switching onto IT -- who will embarrass him)

I think it also helps a guy like JR knows that Lebron will call him out if he doesn't play hard D.

The Cavs defense definitely sucked for the 2nd half of regular season.