• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Eastern Conference Finals: 1) Cleveland Cavaliers (57-25) vs. 2) Toronto Raptors (56-26)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, those Boston Celtics teams their last few seasons were not even close to the 1-seed. However, they knocked the Cavs out in '09 as a lesser seed. Also, they made it to the Finals as a 4-seed.

ChrisGar15

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont think any team has ever swept their way through a conference before...

do you ever remember it?

Longest playoff winning streak is the Spurs at 12. (lockout year)

Spurs lost a game in the first round ... then won 12 straight ... including winning the first 2 in the Finals. (first round was best of 5)

So as far as I could tell, no team has swept the first 3 rounds in the playoffs. (at least since they went to 16 teams in the playoffs)

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will give the Cavs credit. They're getting easier opponents than what the Thunder and Dubs are getting. However, they're taking care of business, and tonight they looked pretty god damn dominant. You can only control who you face.

Being that I'm cheering for anyone not Cleveland, I'm upgraded to mildly concerned. There's me giving the Cavs some credit, so I don't get any butt hurt betties later on in this thread.

Exactly.
They've done so far everything that they control.
I still say that any of the road game performances that they've played so far would have all been losses vs whoever the WC winner is but who is to say they won't have another gear when challenged by whoever that ends up being.

I can't stand James, but I love good basketball.
Cavs at worst case will put up a good fight, and the way things are falling I'm willing to say this might even be their year.
To put it another way, I doubt they ever have a better chance then right now.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Always have been impressed with Lebron's memory and knowledge of the game. He talked about 56 points in the paint, and that's what they had. Talked about the bench being the hero of the game and being +24, +18, +17, and now I am looking at the box score...

Shumpert +24
Delladova +18
Frye +17

Just impressive memory there to have that off the top of his head like that. I've heard all the stories before of him remembering a play or shot or something from years past, but being able to randomly recite off the box score like that is kinda neat to see right there.

He prob had just looked at the stat sheet.
Didn't he say that he had never heard of nor met Raanan Katz a few months bacK?

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I shut it off after the first quarter. Assuming the Raps either won or lost a nail biter.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kyrie Irving living up to LeBron James' MVP premonition as Cavs keep rolling

Kyrie and the Cavs are ROLLING!

The reality TV show "Last Point Guard Standing," otherwise known as the NBA playoffs, continued Tuesday with the Cleveland Cavaliers' Kyrie Irving taking on the next contestant he'll try to eliminate on his way to a championship: Kyle Lowry of the Toronto Raptors.

Game 1 of the Eastern Conference finals, much like this individual matchup, went Irving's way by a landslide, as the Cavs trounced the Raptors 115-84, with Irving putting up 27 points on 11-for-17 shooting, five assists, two steals and two turnovers to Lowry's eight points on 4-for-14 shooting, five assists, zero steals and four turnovers.

It was significant not only because Lowry comes at a point in the journey that Irving is charged with navigating after Reggie Jackson, Dennis Schroder and Jeff Teague and before either Russell Westbrook or Stephen Curry, but also due to the connection that Lowry sparked between Irving and LeBron James earlier in the season.

In January, when Irving had barely reached three weeks into his return from a devastating knee injury that sidelined him for more than six months, he found himself in a neck-and-neck race in the voting to be named a starting guard for the East in the All-Star Game. James, perhaps sensing that Lowry would ultimately overtake Irving in the popularity contest -- considering Toronto would host the February festivities -- gave his teammate perhaps the greatest endorsement he could give.

"He's special. He's that special, man. Hes much better than an All-Star. Much better than an All-Star," James said at the time.

"I mean, there would never be a question if Kyrie Irving is the MVP, as long as he's on the floor and he's healthy."

Coming from a four-time MVP in James, the significance of the statement was not lost on Irving.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the question is- whether the Raptors were just totally mentally wiped out from the biggest win in franchise history just 48 hours beforehand---- and that they will show up tomorrow refocused---- or that was the best they can do....I cant believe that was teh best they can do.

It sure does look like a sweep though...i just dont see where they can do much against the Cavs... i really dont see any advantages they have considering JV is out.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kyrie Irving's dazzling drives deserve a classical music soundtrack, Cavaliers teammate says

When Cavaliers point guard Kyrie Irving is driving to the basket like he did Tuesday night, teammate Richard Jefferson believes his grace, athleticism and jaw-dropping dribbling skills deserve a soundtrack.

And Jefferson didn’t hesitate to pick the genre.

“It’s one of those things whenever he’s moving it seems like there should be classical music playing,” Jefferson said. “(With LeBron) it feels like it’s rock music. With (Irving) it’s so smooth and so slick, we don’t know how he’s going to finish.”

But it was his moves, like a stutter-step hesitation on the way to a layup with 1:32 left in the second quarter or his alley-oop to Tristan Thompson for a dunk just seconds later as Irving was soaring through the air, that had the Cavs praising him afterward.

“He makes moves that are unbelievable. I didn’t even know that type of ball-handling existed,” Channing Frye said. “I see him practice it and I think he’s joking around, then he really does it in a game. He’s an amazing talent and I’m shocked to watch him all the time. I have to be in amazement.”

Jefferson said this wasn’t the first time in the playoffs that Irving has left him nearly gasping.

“He had the one shot in the Atlanta game where he went left hand off the glass from the baseline, which is a shot in my 30 years watching basketball I’ve never seen from a right-hander,” Jefferson said. “I’m glad he’s got his legs back from the surgery and he’s really starting to play like the Kyrie we know.”

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He prob had just looked at the stat sheet.
I just watched the postgame. He was actually staring directly at the stat sheet while saying that.

Not sure if people realize... they put stat sheets at the table of the postgame confernece. When you see a player or coach staring down at the table... they are looking at the stat sheet.

LeBron does have an uncanny ability to remember plays and describe them in detail without ever watching them back. But this is not an example of that.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the question is- whether the Raptors were just totally mentally wiped out from the biggest win in franchise history just 48 hours beforehand---- and that they will show up tomorrow refocused---- or that was the best they can do....I cant believe that was teh best they can do.

It sure does look like a sweep though...i just dont see where they can do much against the Cavs... i really dont see any advantages they have considering JV is out.

That is a stupid comment. If you really think the best any NBA team can do is lose by 31 then something is seriously wrong with you.

I never overreact to 1 game like you are. Especially when the 1 game is a home win for the team with HCA. I've seen teams get destroyed by 30 or 40 points in game 1 then come back in game 2 to steal HCA (not saying Toronto would do that) but game 1 overreactions are the funniest thing in the Playoffs

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not comparing the 2 teams chances to win the series, but it wasn't that long ago that the Thunder took the same type of beating in game
1 vs the Spurs.
There no way they weren't both a bit physically and mentally fatigued after the Heat series.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Somewhere last night Mike Budenholzer was shouting at his TV... "See! This is why we didn't run the Cavs off the 3 pt line!"

Hawks did a great job of taking away the paint but a poor job of scrambling to the 3. In Game 1, the Raptors did a great job of taking away the 3 but an incredibly poor job of taking away the paint.

Of course, it doesn't have to be one or the other. Listening to Casey after the game, the Raptors are going to try and do a better job of finding a balance between the 2. I think fatigue on the part of the Raptors might have played a part in that... individually they were getting beat off the dribble with ease. If you're going to stay home and take away the 3... your individual defense has to be great.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just watched the postgame. He was actually staring directly at the stat sheet while saying that.

Not sure if people realize... they put stat sheets at the table of the postgame confernece. When you see a player or coach staring down at the table... they are looking at the stat sheet.

LeBron does have an uncanny ability to remember plays and describe them in detail without ever watching them back. But this is not an example of that.

They also pass them out to the teams and announcers quite frequently during the games.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is a stupid comment. If you really think the best any NBA team can do is lose by 31 then something is seriously wrong with you.

I never overreact to 1 game like you are. Especially when the 1 game is a home win for the team with HCA. I've seen teams get destroyed by 30 or 40 points in game 1 then come back in game 2 to steal HCA (not saying Toronto would do that) but game 1 overreactions are the funniest thing in the Playoffs
did you see what happened?

The Raptors committed to trying to stop the 3- and left 2 of the best ISO players in the world a totally open lane. lol....

I mean- what is the adjustment?

Biyombo was the only one that played decently and played with any heart from what i saw until they put the end of the bench in at the end of the game.

I just dont know if Toronto even believes they can do anything. They just finished a 7 game series with 3 overtimes- have advanced the farthest ever in franchise history- and a juggernaut was waiting for them well rested and prepared.

Itll be interesting seeing what adjustment Toronto makes- but as LeBron has been saying- the Cavs ARENT a 3 pt shooting team- no team with the abilities of Kyrie Irving and LeBron James to dominate in the paint will ever be a 3 pt shooting team---- but if you give them the 3 - they will hurt you-- if you give them the lane- they will hurt you...

I wonder what Casey does next. Pray?

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Somewhere last night Mike Budenholzer was shouting at his TV... "See! This is why we didn't run the Cavs off the 3 pt line!"

Hawks did a great job of taking away the paint but a poor job of scrambling to the 3. In Game 1, the Raptors did a great job of taking away the 3 but an incredibly poor job of taking away the paint.

Of course, it doesn't have to be one or the other. Listening to Casey after the game, the Raptors are going to try and do a better job of finding a balance between the 2. I think fatigue on the part of the Raptors might have played a part in that... individually they were getting beat off the dribble with ease. If you're going to stay home and take away the 3... your individual defense has to be great.
that was insane

at one point LeBron was 7/7 and no shot was outside of 2 feet from the basket.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They also pass them out to the teams and announcers quite frequently during the games.

Yeah... I found that out the only time I got really good seats. (Usually I'm at the back of the lower seats or front of the upper seats). My wife got my tickets to the Heat Suns right behind the Heat bench for my bday in 2012.

Several of the stat sheets ended up at our feet during the game and it was interesting to look at them. Seemed like they would get them every few minutes with updated info.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Close game last night.:D

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I kinda agree with him. Maybe not every game will be a 30 point blowout but I can easily see Cleveland winning by double digits every game. Toronto is so out of their depth here.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The absence of JV is huge. The dialogue around the series would be totally different if he were healthy. Hopefully he is able to have a chance to play in this series.

He has been an afterthought to DeRozan and Lowry all season long but he was one of the biggest reasons they won 56 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.