• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Early strategy for 2014 drafts-Rb's

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well the trade was more for this year, my wr's got decimated , and i had serviceable backs...........i had zac stacy, Lev Bell, ryan mathews........and this was down the stretch at the deadline when matthews was hot......

But i needed a wr bad, So i figured i could snag the leagues best wr...and parlay him into my keeper......

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and it was a 12 team league with deep benches.........so starting stacy and bell were pretty good, especially in ppr where bell and stacy both caught, especially bell

leftypower

THE NFL HAS GONE TO HELL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Treff- At least as of now, I think your view of RB not being as valuable as they have been in the past may be shared by the majority of drafters in 2014. For this reason, I may go contrary to this view in some of my leagues and stick with some of the "2nd tier" RBs earlier in the draft than. I may take a look at DeMarco, Stacey, Morris for example while others are plucking WRs and QBs in the 2nd round.

Yep - you have to be willing to go against the norm, that is especially true if your draft position is in the latter positions. Last years advise from the 'experts' was to grab RB's early and often then wait until the mid and later rounds for a QB's & WR's. Many leagues I participated in went exactly that way - - which left some stud QB's, TE's & WR's as very good options in the early rds. Based upon what we are hearing thus far, the exact opposite may be the tread this year. I still believe in the 'best available' strategy vs a 'by position' approach so you keep your options open.

The Foot

Hoopla Cash
$ 824.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say that getting you RB situated with in the first three picks would be wize. I tried the "draft the wr early" plan a few years back and it was not successful for me. that is not to say it wouldn't for you but for me the way the Rb situation is now I think having 2 good ones is a huge advantage.

Plus i have always beleive wrs are easier to find since at least 2 or 3 come out of no where off the waiver wire every year or so it seems. QBs now a days are even in my book unless u go for manning brees rodgers but on second thought, GB is running more these days, manning is on the cusp of deteriaoting so that kind of only leaves Brees if you are thinking of getting a Qb early. For me I'll wait on a QB and settle for a Wilson, Kaepernick or Foles later on in the draft.

That was the long answer the short answer is i would go 2 rbs with the first 2 picks. Unless I thought I could get Toby Gerhart in the 5th or 4rth then i might go Rb TE or TE RB.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still would lean towards RB in the first round. But with so many teams abandoning the "bell cow" RB, it becomes less of a sure thing to draft some of the lower-tiered RB, even if they get 80-90% of the carries.

I'm always willing to go RB/RB, but I could easily see myself going RB/WR.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My strategy is to get 2 workhorse rbs that are sure things with my first two picks. This year it is a little more difficult, but I think Arian foster, zac Stacy, Doug Martin, and Leveon bell are solid rbs that can be had in the 2nd round that could potentially be rb1s. My first 5 picks are used to gain the biggest advantages possible at any position other than QB while getting depth at rb. Last year my first four picks were Calvin, shady, lacy and demaryius Thomas. I liked the value I got with each pick at the time. This year I want one of the AP, forte, lynch, shady, Charles, or lacy with my first pick. If I can't get one of them, I'll probably take graham. I don't like any Wrs in the first two rounds this year. Football is a young mans game, and Calvin is getting older. I also don't think Thomas is a second round pick. As for QBs, I like picking them later on. I always pick a QB I like before the draft that everyone is rating too low. Last year I picked luck in the 6th, and it ended up being a great pick. This year I like Matt Ryan in the same round. I also try to get as many young players as possible. Last year I went rookie heavy at rb with lacy, bell, and Bernard. This year there arent as many young guys, but I am liking Andre Ellington, bishop Sankey, and my second to last pick steal, Marcus lattimore. Winning in fantasy football isn't about getting the players that have been there and done that, it's about getting the players that are young, fresh, and have something to prove.