• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Early Fallout Games

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I was able to get Fallout, Fallout: Tactics and Fallout 2 from Steam last week for about $12. Fallout and Fallout 2 have almost the exact engine (I have only played 2 for about 15mins, just to get an idea of what it looked like. I have not checked out Tactics yet.

Has anyone else played these games? It is interesting to see all the raw ideas that eventually became the juggernaught that is Fallout. But, wow. This title was a dumpster fire at this stage.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It didn't age well at all. There's LOTS of games like this. We just remember them with affection. A friend hooked me up with a port of the original X-com titles, and I was all geeked out about playing those again. So many 4 am nights playing that one on my 386.

It was awful.

So, no, the isometric tiny view with the dot matrix quality graphics ISN'T made up for by the great dialogue and depth of story.

In its day though. Was pretty awesome.

Guy Incognito

Crack a window, will ya?
Hoopla Cash
$ 342.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I liked original Fallout much better than Fallout 2. And, considering these games are almost 20 years old now, of course they're going to look like shit. The original GTA looks like hell now, too.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Fallout 3 or 4 will age well at all, either

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are certain games where you play them for the type of game they are rather than the graphics. I still have a copy of the original Master of Magic DOS game that now launches the game in a 3rd party DOS utility in order to run at all but I still play it from time to time because I like the game.

Fallout is like that but since Fallout 3 and 4, there's no need to go back in time.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It didn't age well at all. There's LOTS of games like this. We just remember them with affection. A friend hooked me up with a port of the original X-com titles, and I was all geeked out about playing those again. So many 4 am nights playing that one on my 386.

It was awful.

So, no, the isometric tiny view with the dot matrix quality graphics ISN'T made up for by the great dialogue and depth of story.

In its day though. Was pretty awesome.

I did the same thing after replaying Privateer last year... Got Xcom again and wow, not how I remembered it. I think the only ones that really keep me like that were the Command and Conquer games. Red Alert and Generals especially.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What did you not like about Fallout 4?

I could be 100% wrong, but his point COULD be that it can be a game you love right now, but that it won't age gracefully.

In 15 years when we're three or four gens into VR, what are games like Fallout going to be like?

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could be 100% wrong, but his point COULD be that it can be a game you love right now, but that it won't age gracefully.

In 15 years when we're three or four gens into VR, what are games like Fallout going to be like?
This is kind of off topic but I'm not convinced VR is going to be around for long. I know there are a handful of games slated to drop in the next year or two for it although I personally don't know a single person who has it.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is kind of off topic but I'm not convinced VR is going to be around for long. I know there are a handful of games slated to drop in the next year or two for it although I personally don't know a single person who has it.

Sure, and that's why I was careful to say 3rd or 4th generation.

I won't be opting into VR until it gets a BUNCH better than it is now.

But I think we have selective memories (or else just aren't old enough), but think of it this way. When I was a kid, the military had 'supercomputers,' that filled multiple large BUILDINGS, that didn't have the processing power of your phone.

VR will very much be around. It just is going to need a whole lotta' HP to get it to work to any level of sophistication.

whirlwind-computer.jpg

That HP is coming.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What did you not like about Fallout 4?
Honestly I haven't played it. I had some issues with Fallout 3 and I remember liking Oblivion A LOT when it came out and its really, really dated. Its mostly just a guess based on the genre.