• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Eagles LT Peters tears achilles

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Jason Peters, the five-time Pro Bowl offensive tackle for the Philadelphia Eagles, will undergo surgery Tuesday after rupturing the Achilles tendon in his right leg while working out in Texas.

Peters, 30, suffered the injury March 27, the team said in a statement.

The Eagles acquired Peters in a trade with Buffalo for three draft picks before the 2009 draft. He has been named to every Pro Bowl since 2007.

He played five seasons for the Bills, 3½ as a starter.

According to Dr. Michael Kaplan, ESPN's medical analyst, Peters' ankle likely would be immobilized for two to four weeks, and he would undergo physical therapy for motion and strengthening for several months. He likely will miss a minimum of four to six months of football activity.

Surgery to repair the tendon is scheduled for the Rothman Institute in Philadelphia and will be performed by Dr. Steve Raikin.

Undrafted out of Arkansas, Peters is a 6-foot-4, 340-pound native of Queen City, Texas

Huge blow to the Eagles. Hell of a serious freak accident to occur.

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Many people had him rated as the best LT in the NFL last year. The Eagles seem to have some bad karma going....

luckyluke22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Tearing the Achilles is actually quite more common than you may expect.
It's pretty routine though so he should return to form, but it may not be till midseason.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
A ruptured Achilles is six months, minimum. He may be able to return this season, but I'd be fairly surprised if he returns to form before very late in the season, and wouldn't be at all surprised if he didn't round back into form until the 2013 season.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a huge injury for the Eagles. They have enough problems on their O-line as it is.

luckyluke22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
A ruptured Achilles is six months, minimum. He may be able to return this season, but I'd be fairly surprised if he returns to form before very late in the season, and wouldn't be at all surprised if he didn't round back into form until the 2013 season.

In my experience those under 40 have been quick to recover. Even quicker when the patient is an athlete instead of an overweight coach potato. Now Peters is no slim lightweight, but I'd still have a more optimistic outlook.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
In my experience those under 40 have been quick to recover. Even quicker when the patient is an athlete instead of an overweight coach potato. Now Peters is no slim lightweight, but I'd still have a more optimistic outlook.

Six months is the elite athlete timeframe. A normal person can be a year or longer. In terms of recovery, it's a worse injury than a torn ACL. I ruptured my Achilles last Jan. 30, and it still gets sore and swells when I push it too hard. It was probably 8 months before I was comfortable doing endurance stuff, and longer before I felt comfortable doing anything particularly explosive. I'm in pretty good shape and was fairly diligent abour rehab, but I'm not an elite athlete and I wasn't able to dedicate the time to rehab that an NFL player would. That said, I don't know of anyone who has recovered from a complete tear in less than six months.

Here's an article that looks at the injury in NFL athletes:

Return to football after Achilles tendon rupture | Lower Extremity Review Magazine

Last edited by a moderator:

luckyluke22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Great article! When I get more time I'll read into the research.

My opinion stems from how we operated in military medicine. Which was 6 months PT then reevaluation. Two of the three cases I triaged were back in action after the initial PT. maybe they were just fast healers so I was jaded. My uncle ruptured his and it took about 12 months for him, but the only shape he was in was round.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Great article! When I get more time I'll read into the research.

My opinion stems from how we operated in military medicine. Which was 6 months PT then reevaluation. Two of the three cases I triaged were back in action after the initial PT. maybe they were just fast healers so I was jaded. My uncle ruptured his and it took about 12 months for him, but the only shape he was in was round.

What's back in action? If it's marching/running, six months would probably be fine. Especially if they're being really deliberate about the rehab. It's the explosive stuff that usually takes awhile to get back.

As said, six months seems to be about the minimum so far as I've heard. And for a guy Peters' size, there's a legitimate chance he may never be the same.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Many people had him rated as the best LT in the NFL last year. The Eagles seem to have some bad karma going....

That dude was a beast last year. He's their version of Justin Smith but on the offensive side; simply abuse opponents on a regular basis.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Replacing Peters
9:37AM ET
Philadelphia Eagles

UPDATE: Free agent LT Demetrius Bell closed out his visit in Philly without signing a contract, according to Jeff McLane of the Philadelphia Inquirer. That doesn't necessarily mean that he won't eventually wind up an Eagle, but it's obviously no slam dunk, either.

As for those who believe that having an elite LT is not as important for a team that has a left-handed QB (making the RT the blind-side protector), Jason Vida of ESPN Stats & Information explains why the loss of Peters was such a devastating one (see the bottom of the post).

---

The news hit like a clap of thunder on Friday morning: Philadelphia Eagles starting left tackle Jason Peters has a ruptured Achilles tendon, and the injury could force him to miss a good chunk -- if not all -- of the 2012 season. Earlier that morning, the Eagles reached a contract extension with backup OT King Dunlap, which makes more sense in light of the Peters news.

By Saturday morning, we'd learned of two potential replacements: former Buffalo Bills LT Demetrius Bell and former San Diego Chargers LT Marcus McNeill. ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter has reported that Bell visited Philly on Saturday.

The draft is also a possibility, and good OTs can be found beyond Round 1 -- Peters himself went undrafted -- so the fact that the Eagles might not be able to get one of the OTs generating the most hype this draft season (Matt Kalil, Riley Reiff, etc.) is not a major problem.

- Tim Kavanagh​

Dan Graziano
Regardless of what they do, the Eagles will be hurt by this

"Peters was one of the few reliable players they had in 2011, and because he's so good and so athletic in a division that features so many great edge pass-rushers, his was a spot that inspired supreme confidence -- not just a lack of concern. The Eagles had planned to return their entire 2011 offensive line intact, and now the other four members of it will have to get used to a new left tackle, and whoever the new left tackle is will have to get used to them and to Howard Mudd's unique blocking schemes. Won't be easy, but it now becomes one of the major offseason issues facing the Eagles."

Jason Vida
Loss of Peters looms large for Eagles

"After Friday's news that left tackle Jason Peters will miss half the season or more after rupturing his Achilles tendon, an Eagles rushing attack that could have had the Eagles atop the conference looks far less formidable. Peters has been one of the primary reasons the Eagles have finished fifth in the league in rushing in each of the last two seasons. Over that span, no team has run the ball around left tackle more than Philadelphia and few have run it more efficiently. Since 2010, the Eagles are second in the league in rushing yards (1,052), yards per rush (6.9) and rushing first downs on carries over left tackle. In 2008, the year before Peters joined Philadelphia, the Eagles averaged just 4.3 yards per carry on rushes off left tackle, the 25th-best rate in the league."

luckyluke22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
What's back in action? If it's marching/running, six months would probably be fine. Especially if they're being really deliberate about the rehab. It's the explosive stuff that usually takes awhile to get back.

As said, six months seems to be about the minimum so far as I've heard. And for a guy Peters' size, there's a legitimate chance he may never be the same.

Search & Rescue so jumps, rappels, swimming, running with gear (up to 100 lbs). Thus I figured no sweat for an elite athlete with the best medical equipment money can buy.
The article actual has a paragraph about the 11 month average being because of the additional time needed for NFL-shape. Interesting how few return to form, at least at the same level. Which sucks for Philly and Peters. Here's to hoping he beats the odds, hate to see a good guy go down.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Search & Rescue so jumps, rappels, swimming, running with gear (up to 100 lbs). Thus I figured no sweat for an elite athlete with the best medical equipment money can buy.
The article actual has a paragraph about the 11 month average being because of the additional time needed for NFL-shape. Interesting how few return to form, at least at the same level. Which sucks for Philly and Peters. Here's to hoping he beats the odds, hate to see a good guy go down.

I would think the jumps might be an issue, but swimming and running should be ok after six months of dedicated rehab. It could just be that the guys you worked with were superhuman. :-) It took me awhile to get back to being near 100%, though, and I still don't feel like I;m in the shape I was, though I haven't had the time to really commit to getting there.

I was surprised at just how grim the numbers are, too. 11 months seems long for the elite guys, but football is such an explosive sport, and it's tough to stay in shape when you're off your leg entirely for 2+ months.

luckyluke22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yeah see for us when you were injured, it was your job to get back on the grind.
Being on the sideline you were useless and letting your guys and team down, so I figured it would be a similar environment for NFL players. And they get paid a lot more! Granted I think we did cooler shit.

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That dude was a beast last year. He's their version of Justin Smith but on the offensive side; simply abuse opponents on a regular basis.

That's a good way of describing the level of his dominance Bingo.