• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Eagles hire Tom Gamble away from Niners

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Why would he do that? (rhetorical question) - because it seems like this is a lateral move by him, but it now looks like it is not. Anyway, he is familiar and knows our early gameplan going into the offseason. By that I mean he knows the players Baalke and Harbaugh were targetting to date based on our scouts reports on the eligble prospects. The man was our Director of Player personnel. So he is well aware / knowledgeable on the type of athletes we tend to go after. Our draft board was far from starting let alone finished so that's not my biggest worry I have at the moment. My thing is Chip Kelly is installing a similar offense to what we have now, so you know the possibility is there for him to bump heads with us in an indirect way. Just as long as he didn' take Paraag Marathe with him I'm good.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe he intentionally waited until after the Vick deal so as to be separate from that if it doesn't work out. If it does work out, people won't split heirs because that was a Kelly thing. Or maybe this is just how long it took.

Ltrain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Why would he do that? (rhetorical question) - because it seems like this is a lateral move by him, but it now looks like it is not. Anyway, he is familiar and knows our early gameplan going into the offseason. By that I mean he knows the players Baalke and Harbaugh were targetting to date based on our scouts reports on the eligble prospects. The man was our Director of Player personnel. So he is well aware / knowledgeable on the type of athletes we tend to go after. Our draft board was far from starting let alone finished so that's not my biggest worry I have at the moment. My thing is Chip Kelly is installing a similar offense to what we have now, so you know the possibility is there for him to bump heads with us in an indirect way. Just as long as he didn' take Paraag Marathe with him I'm good.

The only good thing for this year's draft is the difference in pick # for the respective rounds (PHI has #4 and we have #31). Their first pick is likely someone we won't even be sniffing. However, that doesn't change the fact that after round 1 we will both be picking at the respective elbows of the draft and he has a good idea at who our diamonds in the rough might be. I never like to see talented people leave the 49ers, but at least there is still some time before the combine to readjust and hopefully he doesn't take Marathe's mad budgeting skills with him.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only good thing for this year's draft is the difference in pick # for the respective rounds (PHI has #4 and we have #31). Their first pick is likely someone we won't even be sniffing. However, that doesn't change the fact that after round 1 we will both be picking at the respective elbows of the draft and he has a good idea at who our diamonds in the rough might be. I never like to see talented people leave the 49ers, but at least there is still some time before the combine to readjust and hopefully he doesn't take Marathe's mad budgeting skills with him.

True, but our needs our different than theirs are, so they won't be taking our guys unless we're picking the BPA and he wants to steal them. He could also make us trade with him if he's going to pick our guy. I mean, he'd know our strategy. I wish Philadelphia were in the AFC, not that this draft has much to do with it. I just know that he's been good here and assume he will be there, too.

Actually, I wish he stayed. Philly can stay in the NFC.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That is a HUGE departure for the 49ers organization and could be extremely valuable for Philadelphia. Huge.

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Daniel Jeremiah ‏@MoveTheSticks

It's very rare to see a team allow one of their personnel execs to leave during this time of yr. They possess a ton of valuable info

ugh..

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Daniel Jeremiah ‏@MoveTheSticks

It's very rare to see a team allow one of their personnel execs to leave during this time of yr. They possess a ton of valuable info

ugh..

So was this a loyalty thing, rewarding him for good work here and allowing him to go home to Philly? He's more valuable than Alex and they won't let him go for considerate reasons. Or is this not a permissions thing? When would Gamble's contract run out or is it a perpetual deal? If he was going to leave, I wish he would have gotten the GM job, just because I want good things for our Niners, not lateral moves that could hurt us. I'm sure the Niners will be good at finding someone else to replace him, it just won't be the same or necessarily as good.

Last edited by a moderator:

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is a HUGE departure for the 49ers organization and could be extremely valuable for Philadelphia. Huge.

I agree. I've wondered if he had more of an impact on this team than Baalke to some extent. I guess we'll find out.