• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Duck hunting

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have never been duck hunting in my life. A fella I am familiar with through an Ice Fishing web site offered to take me with him last week. I couldn't go due to short notice, no shotgun, no licence and no stamp.
BUT, now I am pretty much set to head out. Will be going in about 2 weeks or so and can't wait. I picked up a decent used Mossberg 500 from a local gun guy I know. I think I have everything else I need.
I hope I like it, as then I would have duck hunting to occupy my time while I wait for ice fishing season.

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have never been duck hunting in my life. A fella I am familiar with through an Ice Fishing web site offered to take me with him last week. I couldn't go due to short notice, no shotgun, no licence and no stamp.
BUT, now I am pretty much set to head out. Will be going in about 2 weeks or so and can't wait. I picked up a decent used Mossberg 500 from a local gun guy I know. I think I have everything else I need.
I hope I like it, as then I would have duck hunting to occupy my time while I wait for ice fishing season.

It's a blast, but a lot of it depends on where you are hunting and what the action is. Are you guys doing open water hunting, or do you have a spot on the edge of a lake?

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i too haven't ever done any sort of waterfowl hunting. i don't think my grandpa likes it much, and he's who i hunt with. we stick to pheasant, turkey, deer, and the occasional coyote. i think it would be cool to try though.

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a blast, but a lot of it depends on where you are hunting and what the action is. Are you guys doing open water hunting, or do you have a spot on the edge of a lake?

I have no idea. All I know is that when the call comes in I will be ready to go.

Is there a difference in speed of the ducks compared to pheasant/quail?

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no idea. All I know is that when the call comes in I will be ready to go.

I haven't done a lot of pheasant or quail hunting, but I believe ducks are usually moving a lot faster. If you have a nice decoy spread and they are decoying in, once they set their wings and come in for a landing they should be moving pretty slow.

TOX1

Game fucking on!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From my experience quail are much faster/quicker than duck. Not to mention that quail are hauling ass because they're scared shitless when they jump up and take off whereas duck are in glide mode coming down.

Just my lousy .02.

Good luck and have a blast Tom. Let us know how you make out man..

Last edited by a moderator:

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From my experience quail are much faster/quicker than duck. Not to mention that quail are hauling ass because they're scared shitless when they jump up and take off whereas duck are in glide mode coming down.

Just my lousy .02.

Good luck and have a blast Tom. Let us know how you make out man..

I haven't done much quail hunting, but a friend found a spot we need to try out. Ducks are moving very slow if they are coming into your decoys and setting their wings, but if you are trying to shoot one as it swoops by, they are hauling some ass. Wood ducks in particular are crazy, it's like shooting at a bat.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:lol:

oh yeah!! If you like hunting at all, you will get hooked on duck hunting. It's a fucking blast!! Especially when the birds are flying good. But it can be like fishing too, there are good days and bad (if hunting can be bad). I can remember a few mornings where we were shooting so much and so fast the barrel would smoke.

Got #4 steel shot (my preference)? state stamp? federal stamp? Make sure you don't have any lead shot on you anywhere. ENJOY!!

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:lol:

oh yeah!! If you like hunting at all, you will get hooked on duck hunting. It's a fucking blast!! Especially when the birds are flying good. But it can be like fishing too, there are good days and bad (if hunting can be bad). I can remember a few mornings where we were shooting so much and so fast the barrel would smoke.

Got #4 steel shot (my preference)? state stamp? federal stamp? Make sure you don't have any lead shot on you anywhere. ENJOY!!

Damn right. Duck hunting is addictive.

Just my two cents, the type of shot you use should depend on what you are hunting for as well. Four is nice because it has a bigger spread, but if you are hunting divers you will probably end up losing a couple because of it. Divers like Bluebill, Scoter, and Redheads have thicker, tougher skin and feathers than birds like Mallards, so if it is a long shot they can be tougher to knock down. Also, if they can't fly but are still alive, they are notorious for diving and never being seen again. I can't tell you how many times we lost a Bluebill that we thought was dead, but ended up diving and disappearing.

If there is the potential for geese, some guys swear by Black Cloud or other heavier, meaner shells. Personally I think it's overkill, but if you have a shot at a goose that isn't going to decoy but is somewhat close, it can make the difference between a wounded bird flying off and a bird in the boat.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, I need to get out somewhere west of here. We are almost always shooting at greenheads, woodys, and mergansers.

Ballboy534

Resident Rehabilitator
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, I need to get out somewhere west of here. We are almost always shooting at greenheads, woodys, and mergansers.

:sad: I haven't been in almost five years... supposed to go down to Alabama with my cousin this fall, but never could find a weekend we both had open

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard Arkansas is the spot, but I'm sure it's good an Bama. Depending on the time of year, I can shoot Mallards, Woodies, Gadwalls, Widgeons, Redheads, Bluebills, Teal, Pintail, Canvasback, Mergansers, Scoter, Black Ducks, Buffleheads, and even the occasional Ringneck here in Michigan.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard Arkansas is the spot, but I'm sure it's good an Bama. Depending on the time of year, I can shoot Mallards, Woodies, Gadwalls, Widgeons, Redheads, Bluebills, Teal, Pintail, Canvasback, Mergansers, Scoter, Black Ducks, Buffleheads, and even the occasional Ringneck here in Michigan.

I'm in SC. The Charleston area, but I hunt from just north of Columbia,SC down to Charleston and everything in between. We see a few buffleheads, teals, and yeah Black ducks. Pintails and Canvasbacks are uncommon, not unheard of, just not the usual.

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm in SC. The Charleston area, but I hunt from just north of Columbia,SC down to Charleston and everything in between. We see a few buffleheads, teals, and yeah Black ducks. Pintails and Canvasbacks are uncommon, not unheard of, just not the usual.

What type of hunting do you normally do? Field, marsh, swamp, open water, layout blinds, etc?

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What type of hunting do you normally do? Field, marsh, swamp, open water, layout blinds, etc?

usually small blinds set up on an island on the lake. Occasionally open water with the blind around the boat (jon-boat). From time to time we will slip into WMA(State managed) land and just sit under the tree line. No decoys or anything when we do that, just getting out in the woods.

My brother and I will also take the canoe and ease down the Edisto river here, with the man in the back paddling and the front man shooting, and scare up woodies from under the willows. Lots of fun.

We never really go on any "organized" hunt. It's always, "hey you wanna go shoot some ducks Saturday?"

"Hell yeah! Where we going?"

I'm the guy you take along to keep ya company, buys you breakfast, brings the liquor, and provides comedy. My brother is the "real" duck hunter.

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
usually small blinds set up on an island on the lake. Occasionally open water with the blind around the boat (jon-boat). From time to time we will slip into WMA(State managed) land and just sit under the tree line. No decoys or anything when we do that, just getting out in the woods.

My brother and I will also take the canoe and ease down the Edisto river here, with the man in the back paddling and the front man shooting, and scare up woodies from under the willows. Lots of fun.

We never really go on any "organized" hunt. It's always, "hey you wanna go shoot some ducks Saturday?"

"Hell yeah! Where we going?"

I'm the guy you take along to keep ya company, buys you breakfast, brings the liquor, and provides comedy. My brother is the "real" duck hunter.

Sounds good. Never tried canoeing and shooting, although I don't know how much of that would be allowed up here. Lots of campers and kayakers. You sound like a good dude though, nothing wrong with liquor and breakfast. Up here we've got a little duck hunting tradition, if you can find it you should pick some up. It's pretty tough to beat on a fall evening after shooting some ducks.

Sweet Lucy Bourbon

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds good. Never tried canoeing and shooting, although I don't know how much of that would be allowed up here. Lots of campers and kayakers. You sound like a good dude though, nothing wrong with liquor and breakfast. Up here we've got a little duck hunting tradition, if you can find it you should pick some up. It's pretty tough to beat on a fall evening after shooting some ducks.

Sweet Lucy Bourbon

Will have to try it. Our "go to" on cold mornings is Rock and Rye.

DSC_0402.JPG