• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dubois traded to Jets for Laine

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking at Anthony Stewart these days, maybe he should skip/reduce his breakfast allotment lol

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking at Anthony Stewart these days, maybe he should skip/reduce his breakfast allotment lol
I think most people are aware of why he has a spot on that panel and I know the pool to choose from to fill that role is very shallow but I can’t believe there isn’t anybody better than him for it. At this point it’s doing a disservice, especially when HNIC has actually made some progress on its lineup by bringing Bieksa on board and giving Amber more hosting duties over Ron (even if it doubled down on bullshit by making Brian Burke the most prominent talking blowhard in Canadian sports).

There’s gotta be somebody better to put there until Subban retires.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think most people are aware of why he has a spot on that panel and I know the pool to choose from to fill that role is very shallow but I can’t believe there isn’t anybody better than him for it. At this point it’s doing a disservice, especially when HNIC has actually made some progress on its lineup by bringing Bieksa on board and giving Amber more hosting duties over Ron (even if it doubled down on bullshit by making Brian Burke the most prominent talking blowhard in Canadian sports).

There’s gotta be somebody better to put there until Subban retires.
We are not giving up Jean-Luc Grand-Pierre.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going back to Buff and Kane, everything about the Jets shouts culture extremes with zero room for error or difference. Which is cute for a team that has two playoff series wins in ten years.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Curious has there been any updates on the mandatory 14 day quarantine going to Canada? If this doesn't change I see it being a pretty light trade deadline for the teams in Canada unless they want garbage from Edmonton?

Eco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,396.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm looking forward to see how this plays out for both teams. Seems strange to exchange the 2nd and 3rd chosen players in the same draft, but this could very likely be a win-win.

CBJ certainly looked better without Dubois on the bench.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going back to Buff and Kane, everything about the Jets shouts culture extremes with zero room for error or difference. Which is cute for a team that has two playoff series wins in ten years.

I have been reading more and more that is trickling out about this. Sounds like Wheeler thought he could bully Laine into being less mellow. Finnish people are typically low key, but it doesn't mean they don't care. They just aren't incredibly expressive.

I think Laine is going to like it here. The room is very loose and Foligno is as much cool dad as he is captain. There's a bunch of goofs in there. If his issues were being treated poorly by teammates and not getting top line minutes, both of those problems should go away here.

Not sure what that means for PLD going there.

Curious has there been any updates on the mandatory 14 day quarantine going to Canada? If this doesn't change I see it being a pretty light trade deadline for the teams in Canada unless they want garbage from Edmonton?
I read that the Jets have requested a special dispensation to reduce the mandatory quarantine for PLD to 7 days. No word on if it's been accepted. That could set the precedent for trade deadline.

Laine is already out of COVID protocol and Roslo will come out today. Roslo will probably debut tomorrow, and Laine possibly as soon as he gets his visa sorted. Easier coming this way, it seems.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read that the Jets have requested a special dispensation to reduce the mandatory quarantine for PLD to 7 days. No word on if it's been accepted. That could set the precedent for trade deadline.

Laine is already out of COVID protocol and Roslo will come out today. Roslo will probably debut tomorrow, and Laine possibly as soon as he gets his visa sorted. Easier coming this way, it seems.
Theyre asking on the basis that for training camp in canada, players only had to do a 7 day quarantine. It does seem kind of illogical that theyre now going to 14 day quarantine for the regular season when everyone is in a more controlled environment with each team having to abide by covid protocols (*cough* not the capitals *cough*) while for training camp, players were flying in from everywhere living their lives being exposed to probably a bunch more individuals:noidea:

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been reading more and more that is trickling out about this. Sounds like Wheeler thought he could bully Laine into being less mellow. Finnish people are typically low key, but it doesn't mean they don't care. They just aren't incredibly expressive.

I think Laine is going to like it here. The room is very loose and Foligno is as much cool dad as he is captain. There's a bunch of goofs in there. If his issues were being treated poorly by teammates and not getting top line minutes, both of those problems should go away here.

Not sure what that means for PLD going there.
I saw somewhere that said Laine is very much like Kessel in that he's probably not a super-duper team guy, he kinda does his own laid-back thing and goes out there and produces well enough for a smart team to tolerate it and enjoy the fruits. Sounds pretty apt.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw somewhere that said Laine is very much like Kessel in that he's probably not a super-duper team guy, he kinda does his own laid-back thing and goes out there and produces well enough for a smart team to tolerate it and enjoy the fruits. Sounds pretty apt.
There were reports that Panarin was kind of the same way. He got along really well with a few guys but kinda did his own thing. And fortunately Torts was smart enough not to interrupt it. Hope the same for Laine.

Roslovic on the other hand:

He is already in the club.

Reactions: gob

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Article in French, but let me summarize French Player victim. Torts asshole. Mean team hates French boy.

There was this quote (translated:
When training camp got underway, John Tortorella's assistants were ordered to stop speaking to Dubois. The latter then realized that communication was broken and his work environment was no longer the same. And this childish way of approaching the situation meant that an exchange was going to happen very quickly.

Yeah, that totally happened.

And this:
if my life depended on the outcome of a hockey game and I had the choice between Dubois and Auston Matthews, I would choose Dubois. eyes closed.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
There was this quote (translated:
When training camp got underway, John Tortorella's assistants were ordered to stop speaking to Dubois. The latter then realized that communication was broken and his work environment was no longer the same. And this childish way of approaching the situation meant that an exchange was going to happen very quickly.

Yeah, that totally happened.
fwiw, well after the fact (might have been after he retired even), Alex Burrows said that Tortorella never said a single word to him from training camp through to about Christmas. Passed him in the hallways, and wouldn't even acknowledge him.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
fwiw, well after the fact (might have been after he retired even), Alex Burrows said that Tortorella never said a single word to him from training camp through to about Christmas. Passed him in the hallways, and wouldn't even acknowledge him.
I think it's undeniable that 1) Torts is an asshole and most guys would probably rather play for someone else, and 2) Torts has chased off more than one NHL player in his career.

The question is to what level his assholery is above the assholery of other coaches and I'm gonna say it's probably more middle-of-the-pack than people think. Torts just gets the reputation above the others because he's an asshole in the press (and on security cameras) too whereas other known asshole coaches (Peters, Babcock, etc.) keep it in the room and manage the publicity much better. Going to guess there's at least 12 coaches in the league guys absolutely fucking detest playing for, another 8 that guys find more tolerable but still would rather not play for and 12 guys who are somewhere in the middle and one guy who's really good (no idea who, let's just say Dave Tippett).

Reactions: gob

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's Burrows, I wouldn't acknowledge him either.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yah burrows broke his foot and his jaw that season and tortorella didnt even ask how he was doing ... class guy.
It's Burrows, I wouldn't acknowledge him either.
Life's too short, my friend and holding grudges or whatever is just unnecessary baggage

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And this:
if my life depended on the outcome of a hockey game and I had the choice between Dubois and Auston Matthews, I would choose Dubois. eyes closed.
Im guessing frenchie made this bet during the opening round of the covid playoffs :noidea: ... and he lived !!!

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Note: Columbus is the only team Laine has not scored against.

Yet