• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

DROB Clutch Hitting Poll

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok it is poll time:

In a sacrifice situation with a runner on third in a tight game, would you depend on DROB to get the ball out of infield for a sac fly? Yes or No

****Think about the situation as if you were the manager? What are the odds, DROB will hit a deep sac fly?

Ok the thread point reverts back to Dusteromus --killing you even when you win. Ya see DustMop will do stupid crap that will make you have to overcome stupidity. Paul on the bench was a much better choice tonight to PH and get a sac fly. 2 times in the last week I have seen DustMop refuse to PH for DROB for a hitter that can hit the ball out of the infield. These are the things that get swept under rung for Dusteromus--but not here Dodger Boy! We got an eye for bullshit managing and your number is coming up.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the warped notion that D-Rob somehow turns the Reds into a speedy team has gotten tattooed on this dugout staff's brain. Robinson is fast, but Stubbs is just as fast ... and probably a better all-around ballplayer. That doesn't say much.

I like Robinson for the role that he plays, when he's used correctly. He is not an offensive threat, period. He is a bunt or a chop shop infield hit. He ought to be stealing 2nd base, as if that sign was ever executed.

Robinson plays better LF than Paul does but not better than Heisey.

Kate Upton

Hotter than Kate Upton
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the idea of Robinson in that role was to hit the ball on the ground, and thus at the very least avoid a DP.

But you're never one to let facts, logic, or common sense get in the way of an ill-informed, angry rant against a fucking manager...A guy who doesn't take a single AB or throw a single pitch.

With that being said, Robinson sucks. I'd have rather seen Paul up in that spot....Then again, I'd have rather seen Bruce not K swinging at pitches that he clearly had no business swinging at.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Robinson is with the big club only because Ludwick is out and Robinson stays on the big club because he's a more useful player than anyone else we have who isn't on somebody else's team at the moment. Lutz was the other choice and he wasn't as good as Heisey, who is maybe equal to Stubbs.

As a group, most of the Reds roster players are probably better than they are individually and when, as a group, the play as they really are qualified to play, sometimes it shows.

Cincy just makes the wrong kinds of mistakes way too often. Usually when they win, it's not as much a matter of being better, it's a matter of being tolerable for that particular day. This entire documentary by me relates to Derrick Robinson specifically. You just need to read between the

------

lines.

Kate Upton

Hotter than Kate Upton
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Robinson is with the big club only because Ludwick is out and Robinson stays on the big club because he's a more useful player than anyone else we have who isn't on somebody else's team at the moment. Lutz was the other choice and he wasn't as good as Heisey, who is maybe equal to Stubbs.

As a group, most of the Reds roster players are probably better than they are individually and when, as a group, the play as they really are qualified to play, sometimes it shows.

Cincy just makes the wrong kinds of mistakes way too often. Usually when they win, it's not as much a matter of being better, it's a matter of being tolerable for that particular day. This entire documentary by me relates to Derrick Robinson specifically. You just need to read between the

------

lines.

When Ludwick comes back, do you keep Robinson or Paul?

I think I keep Paul.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Paul has more MLB time so he's a seniority choice. Robinson, as a switchie, could be useful if he could hit better. At that point, it's a matter of whether Ludwick can play LF better than Heisey or Paul. I think he can't. I had originally believed Luddy would not be back till Sept. 1, which would preclude sending anybody out.

I don't think D-Rob is a guy the Reds really want to keep and he will be able to land in the bigs somewhere. What happens long-term depends on Choo and who replaces him. The current yarn is for B-Ham to move in (I love these nicknames, such as Hen-Rod) but the jury is not even in session yet on Hamilton. Robinson isn't better and he's not going to get much better.

Either way, whoever goes down (does Paul have options?) will only be in Lousyville for about 2 weeks until the callups.

The biggest mystery to me is why the sunshine seekers think Ludwick is going to turn this offense around in 18 games. Shoulder injuries are what they are, no matter which shoulder. As Rolen learned, it affects bat speed.

Kate Upton

Hotter than Kate Upton
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Paul has more MLB time so he's a seniority choice. Robinson, as a switchie, could be useful if he could hit better. At that point, it's a matter of whether Ludwick can play LF better than Heisey or Paul. I think he can't. I had originally believed Luddy would not be back till Sept. 1, which would preclude sending anybody out.

I don't think D-Rob is a guy the Reds really want to keep and he will be able to land in the bigs somewhere. What happens long-term depends on Choo and who replaces him. The current yarn is for B-Ham to move in (I love these nicknames, such as Hen-Rod) but the jury is not even in session yet on Hamilton. Robinson isn't better and he's not going to get much better.

Either way, whoever goes down (does Paul have options?) will only be in Lousyville for about 2 weeks until the callups.

The biggest mystery to me is why the sunshine seekers think Ludwick is going to turn this offense around in 18 games. Shoulder injuries are what they are, no matter which shoulder. As Rolen learned, it affects bat speed.

I agree that it's going to take Ludwick time to have an impact.

But if it's September 15th on when he does? I'll take it. I think we all will.

I think Ludwick will be fine in LF. He's vastly underrated as a defender (at least he was last year) and it's not like he's coming back from a leg injury.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ludwick plays a much better LF than he appears to be playing. He handles balls on the line better than the others do. Heisey plays the corner better. Paul generally sucks with a glove. Robinson takes peculiar routes. Lutz is amusing. Honestly, I'd like to see Phillips play some LF, just for grins and grits.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you think Robinson is useless, trade Billy Hamilton NOW.

Dusty doesn't bunt. Dusty doesn't chop, slap, or butcher boy. Dusty doesn't steal. Dusty doesn't signal much. Dusty doesn't do situational play, that's a payers job.

I can't think of a description of a player Dusty values less than ROOKIE SMALL BALL player. Dusty can't use that any more than a jackass could use a smartphone.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Robinson has a minor league option ? Of course he goes then...but, as a switch hitter that has better tools than Heisey, except for power...Heisey may be the weaker overall player- hes Stubbs with less speed. Paul is the worst of all Reds OF, but can pinch hit.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Reds have convinced themselves they aren't functional without Ludwick. In happy he's coming back. I honestly don't know how much "mental" impacts this team, but if it does at all, maybe Ludwick will be a positive, from a confidence standpoint.

The trouble with confidence is, it disappears like a fart in the wind without success.

It's time to walk the walk or start blaming Bartman.

Kate Upton

Hotter than Kate Upton
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you think Robinson is useless, trade Billy Hamilton NOW.

Dusty doesn't bunt. Dusty doesn't chop, slap, or butcher boy. Dusty doesn't steal. Dusty doesn't signal much. Dusty doesn't do situational play, that's a payers job.

I can't think of a description of a player Dusty values less than ROOKIE SMALL BALL player. Dusty can't use that any more than a jackass could use a smartphone.

Again, stop making shit up.

The Reds lead all of MLB in successful sacrifices. Cozart has more than any other position player in the NL.

Small ball is for teams with a serious lack of power hitters. They try to play small ball because they don't have other options.

Small ball has its place in certain situations, but as an overall philosophy? It's for lousy teams in order to try and mask their overall deficiency as a lineup.

If you want to criticize Dusty for his small ball philosophy, do it because he uses it too much, not too little.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dusty is limited by his roster. Bruce is the only HR hitter on this team. Dusty hasn't a clue WHEN to sac, steal or bunt. His situational defense is pathetic, and baserunning is worse. The only people that think Dusty is a good manager either feel sorry for him, or don't know the game that well. He's an embarrassment. This team failing isn't all his fault, but it is his responsibility to give them the best chance to win, frankly, he makes too many mistakes on his own to claim that.

He's a 3rd place manager without an all star team of veterans. Patient, low key, easy to play for isn't motivational. He doesn't teach. He doesn't reach. He's passé.

Scorpion14

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dusty is limited by his roster. Bruce is the only HR hitter on this team. Dusty hasn't a clue WHEN to sac, steal or bunt. His situational defense is pathetic, and baserunning is worse. The only people that think Dusty is a good manager either feel sorry for him, or don't know the game that well. He's an embarrassment. This team failing isn't all his fault, but it is his responsibility to give them the best chance to win, frankly, he makes too many mistakes on his own to claim that.

He's a 3rd place manager without an all star team of veterans. Patient, low key, easy to play for isn't motivational. He doesn't teach. He doesn't reach. He's passé.

You take the fun out of this because I would pretty much say the exact same thing.

I would also question why Chapman never got a shot as a starter when he has Randy Johnson potential. In my opinion Chapman is not a closer because he has control problems. He probably would be that kind of starting pitcher where if you get him you better get him early. Its seems like Chapman all to often needs several batters to find the plate which doesn't work if you are a closer.

Phillips batting cleanup is a joke. Pete Rose would have had 100 RBI's a season if he batted cleanup. Bruce should be batting cleanup and then just take the good with the bad.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watch true small ball at the minor league level in Gary.
Today, the RailCats actually got a home run -- it was a ball that got past the center fielder and went all ... the ... way ... to ... the ... wall.
Small ball doesn't work very well in the National League, however.
But situational hitting ought to work even in Yellowstone.
Sadly, our Reds don't execute that either.

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The point of this thread was to show you another managerial fuck up. Letting DROB hit in those two situations was not putting your team in the best situation to win. 1507 hit the nail on the head by saying DustMop is " a 3rd place manager without an all star team of veterans. Patient, low key, easy to play for isn't motivational. He doesn't teach. He doesn't reach. He's passé." A good manager would have never let DROB bat in those 2 situations knowing how pathetic the Reds can be scoring runs. Now you can get back to Dusty don't bat, Dusty don't pitch, and Dusty don't run the bases because when you are in support of the DustMop as manager--that's all you got.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm no Dusty fan...but he's not the whole problem.

And neither is Ludwick or Cueto missing.

Lots of shortstops and catchers hit .240...quite a few 3b, too. Lots if rotations would love to have the stats Latos, Arroyo, Bailey, Leake and Cingrani have put up. The defense is top notch, and the bullpen stats look good, even though they struggled to get enough outs for a month. Choo and Votto are at the top in OBP, but they haven't exactly clogged up the bases. BP predictably is hitting .260 with too many DPs and not too many HR in the 4 spot, but he has a ton of RBI...Jay Bruce is having the first consistent hitting year of his career, and he IS hitting HR.

IMO, the reasons this team is going to disappoint, isn't because of injuries to 2 players. It's more complex than that. In a game of adjustments, this mix of players and staff just don't adjust well enough together. If the players hit more with 2 outs, if they hit more homers, if the righty pitchers could get more lefty hitters out, if the righty hitters could hit righty pitching better, if every hitter could hit lefty pitching better, Dusty would be a manager if the year candidate, again. If Dusty could steal 2b before he gave a bunt signal to put a lone runner in scoring position with 1 or 2 outs, if he could get a bunt down after a leadoff double, he still wouldn't always beat teams that consistently score 5 runs a game. If the cleanup hitter hit more flyball outs than groundball outs, it wouldn't add up to more than another run every few games. If the 2 hitter could get on base more than 30% of the time, Joey Votto would have more RBI, more HR, and fewer walks. If the LF production was better by a single player or a successful platoon, it's more likely that position would find a logical lineup spot that followed a game plan that scored more.

All teams have to work around surprises. Leake and Cingrani and to a degree, even Bronson Arroyo, Manny Parra and Xavier Paul have exceeded most expectations this year. Todd Frazier has regressed from last year offensively, but his defense hasn't. It shouldn't be a surprise Votto is getting pitched around, but Phillips has driven in more than expected. Cozart is the same solid D, low OBP player. The catching has regressed a little, but they're catchers.

This team doesn't steal. They don't really even try. Bunting a runner to 2b, doesn't statistically increase chances to score that much, but the Reds lead the NL in that caregory. Bunting them to 3b with only 1 out does, but they don't try to do that much, at all. The Reds make outs on the bases more often than most teams at the bottom of the attempted steals category. They strike out a lot, for a team with only one hitter on pace for 30 HR. They have high LOB numbers for a team that doesn't get that many runners on, in part because too many of their RISP "opportunities" come with 2 out, where the MLB average is about .200.
The pitching staff strikes a lot of hitters out, but throw a lot of fastballs in predictable fastball counts, so they also give up some big hits. It seens like the Reds get hurt by lefty hitters a lot, maybe because of lack of lefty pitching, and because the Reds RHSP against lefty hitters, are fastball up and breaking ball (into the hitter) pitchers, not change up and splitter and sinkerball (down) pitchers.

No team wins 100 games with small ball. Not many do it with 3 HR and/or 4 two out hits a game either. What the Cardinals have done with RISP isn't likely to last, but even THAT hasn't been enough to put them in first place.

Much of winning is scouting well, and attacking to the weaknesses in the report. It's being able to counter the other teams strategy against you. Most winning teams follow a sound philosophy-at the plate, on the bases, on the mound and on D. Many of our hitters are swingaholics, pullaholics, and guessaholics. They take strikes and swing at 58 ft.breaking balls. They swing at first pitches after unintentional walks. They get picked off, even though they know they aren't going to get a steal sign. They are predictable. Easy to scout. They don't manufacture many runs, nor do they try in higher odds situations.

This team, and this dugout just don't win unless players overwhelm the opposition with it pitching, defense AND Earl Weaver offense-2 out hits and/or HR. they usually HAVE to have all 3 at the same time, AND not make any fundamental /mental blunders in order to win. They do this quite often against inferior competition, but fail at least half the time against playoff caliber teams.

The players, and/or the philosophy has to improve in order for the team to. The roster has improved incrementally since 2008. The philosophy, and fundamental execution, not so much. IMO, fundamentals should be the constant, leaving the variables of winning primarily up to the talent level. Unfortunately, fundamentals aren't that great in Cincinnati, so winning is more often dependant on individual heroics, on a game where the best make outs about 65% of the time.

The Reds need better ametuer and advance scouting, minor league instruction, and MLB coaching. They need a LHSP or two that is worth of starting a first series post season game, and a manager that will start him. They need a lineup that gets more runners on, and driving them in will improve. They need to be able to use small ball as a weapon, instead of a suicide tool. They need better plate discipline and situational execution... and until they have 25 players all accomplished in this, they need a dugout staff that can show they can IMPROVE the players they have.

Until that happens, it's all a long shot.

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I for one believe DustMop is 85% of the problem mainly because he isn't fixing it. That is what he and his band of rejects are supposed to do. Show me the examples of player improvement in the hitting department from last year to this year or even the year before. You can't find it. This team has morphed into the dugout lizard that Dusty is with no motivation or killer instinct. I promise you all one thing, it wont get any better with the lizard lounger in the dugout. I also am aware that you could get the same effort with another manager and if that is the case, you start moving players. I believe the manager is the issue here because the talent is there and has proven it in small spurts over the last 3 years. The manager's job is to find that consistency week after week, month after month until you get a shot at a World Series title. DustMop will never put this club in that position.