• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dougie knows best...

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The big difference here is Burns is starting slow while Seto and Heatler are both starting fast, and they both go into prolonged slumps every year like clock work

not to mention that 7 games is hardly a reasonable sample size. A player has a 4 point game and is scoreless the other 6 and still they are on pace for nearly 50 points. After 20-30 games, you can being to look at season pace numbers, but even before the halfway point, it's kinda asinine.

If burns can put up 17 goals and over 40 points under Jacques Lemaire and that wild offense, then he should be able to light it up in SJ.

Thus far, the sharks have only scored more than 3 goals (not counting EN or SO) once. Hell, they have only scored 3 goals (sans EN) three times out of 7. They have failed to score at least 3 real goals more often they they have reached that mark. Simply put, they arent scoring much, as I figured given the bottom 2 lines arent likely to pitch in much. However, as burns finds his stride here, I expect him to be extremely effective in supplementing the offense. Hell, pavelski alone has 30% of the team's goals.

This 7 game sample is just too small to make any major generalization aside perhaps from the likely relative ineffectual nature of the bottom 5 forwards (I will exclude handzus).

abaskin18

Oilman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not to mention that 7 games is hardly a reasonable sample size. A player has a 4 point game and is scoreless the other 6 and still they are on pace for nearly 50 points. After 20-30 games, you can being to look at season pace numbers, but even before the halfway point, it's kinda asinine.

If burns can put up 17 goals and over 40 points under Jacques Lemaire and that wild offense, then he should be able to light it up in SJ.

Thus far, the sharks have only scored more than 3 goals (not counting EN or SO) once. Hell, they have only scored 3 goals (sans EN) three times out of 7. They have failed to score at least 3 real goals more often they they have reached that mark. Simply put, they arent scoring much, as I figured given the bottom 2 lines arent likely to pitch in much. However, as burns finds his stride here, I expect him to be extremely effective in supplementing the offense. Hell, pavelski alone has 30% of the team's goals.

This 7 game sample is just too small to make any major generalization aside perhaps from the likely relative ineffectual nature of the bottom 5 forwards (I will exclude handzus).

Very true. Making any major generalizations based on 7 game sample...aside from one's own opinion on certain things...is asinine.

I like you Rules. :D

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I was riffing a little there on Likewall. After 3 games, he was glowing about how good Seto and Heatler looked for Minni. You should know me better than that Rules. ;)

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

In theory that sounds logically sound. However, Burns was really asked to be aggressive and initiate the offense in MIN due to that roster being so short on offensive talent. Here in SJ, I wouldn't mind if he calmed it down a bit in terms of offensive aggressiveness. There are many other playmakers and offensive catalysts where Burns shouldn't have to always take the offensive approach.

If he allows the play to come to him, for a lack of a better phrase, I think he will be a much more effective player. He will get his chances. I have no doubt in my mind. There will be many times a game where Thornton or Clowe will win the puck, feed it to the point to an open Burns. From there Burns has to be smart and not always be aggressive offensively. If the play isn't there, just make a safe play and wait for the next shift to get another chance. This isn't MIN anymore and he shouldn't be asked to take a chance on every shift.

As soon as Burns realizes this, I think we'll see a more controlled sense of play from him. He also needs to use his stick reach defensively. Use that long reach instead of being so quick to drop to a knee. But that's a whole different topic.