• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Doug Pederson?

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
97.5 the Fanatic is reporting that they think Peterson is the favorite to be the HC.

Heck no! I will be looking for anther team to root for. It wouldn't surprise me, as Howie would then take over. God forbid!!

Northern Eagle

Hangin' With The Homeboys
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't be a fan of that move - he's no different than what Shurmur was doing under Kelly.

DutchBird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
97.5 the Fanatic is reporting that they think Peterson is the favorite to be the HC.

Heck no! I will be looking for anther team to root for. It wouldn't surprise me, as Howie would then take over. God forbid!!

Not sure who I heared pointing it out earlier this week (might be Westbrook, Jaws, Trotter or Dawk), who pointed out that often career back-ups make good coaches. I have seen the same in soccer and other sports as well; absolute top level players rarely if ever make good coaches, those with a talent level just below often do.

To me the biggest problem would be the DC to be brought in.

Hell, not sure, but I have started wondering to what extent Chip controlled whatever Billy Davis was doing on defense. Davis seemed to employ a somewhat different defense against the Giants. Far less traditional 3-4 two-gap, much more hybrid. Curry seemed to play more than ever. I think it also telling how Smith played so much. Not sure, could also be a trickle down of Logan being out.

DutchBird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't be a fan of that move - he's no different than what Shurmur was doing under Kelly.

Who knows?

Or do you mean that he was completely controlled by Andy?

I am starting to think that Shurmur was just as pushed into a straight-jacket by Kelly as the players were. Looking at how he was along the side-line, and what has come out about how he dealt with the preparation for the Giants and the game plan... have to take my hat of for that job.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think any of the options are great enough to be upset at the actual selection. All these guys have positives.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NO.......I want Hue, Gase, or McDermott, before I would like any of the other names out there. Dirk Koetter? I don't think so. We need a HC with some excitement. If we get Pederson, I will give him time, but do we really want a guy that did what Reid told him to do? I know that wings is still in love with Reid, but I still want a young guy that has excitement, even though Kelly failed. I want a guy who is more balanced than Chip, but has some "pizzazz" to him. Andy has not exactly dominated offensively, but inherited a loaded defense. Heck, I'd rather hire Bob Sutton than Pederson.

Northern Eagle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who knows?

Or do you mean that he was completely controlled by Andy?

I am starting to think that Shurmur was just as pushed into a straight-jacket by Kelly as the players were. Looking at how he was along the side-line, and what has come out about how he dealt with the preparation for the Giants and the game plan... have to take my hat of for that job.

I too was extremely impressed with what he did on Sunday in terms of preparing the team for the game, but it was only one game. I wouldn't even consider Shurmur for the job because I don't he has the cuts for it - his Cleveland experience has burned me too much to think he's ready again. To me Pederson and Shurmur are the same guy - good co-ordinators, but ultimately will never amount to being great head coaches. It may sound unfair, but just my opinion.

I think Lurie had the right idea with Kelly to bring in a fresh approach, different perspective; where he failed was hiring someone with NFL experience, which obviously counts for something.

Northern Eagle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's not the top guy on my list, but I don't think Hue Jackson got a fair shake when he was in Oakland; did a pretty good job the one year he was the coach before he became the casualty of a regime change. Everywhere he's been he's made his teams offensive players better and is pretty creative offensively. Players love him and he comes across as a "leader of men" that Lurie seems to be so enamored with lately. Should at least get an interview by the Birds.

Iron Eagle

Nostril flare expert.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reid did us no favors last year in advising the Titans to keep their pick. He can keep his sideline buddy right where he is.

DutchBird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I too was extremely impressed with what he did on Sunday in terms of preparing the team for the game, but it was only one game. I wouldn't even consider Shurmur for the job because I don't he has the cuts for it - his Cleveland experience has burned me too much to think he's ready again. To me Pederson and Shurmur are the same guy - good co-ordinators, but ultimately will never amount to being great head coaches. It may sound unfair, but just my opinion.

Irony how you are arguing about Hue Jackson not getting a fair shake in Oakland - something I completely agree with, BTW - while a HC in Cleveland by definition does not get a fair shake.

Shurmur could be one of those - I think he actually is - who is able to improve as a coach, and learn from his experience.

Somehow he looked like a coach who was on the sideline and realized he was f-ed over by his former HC, and basically saw his career wrecked there.

I think Lurie had the right idea with Kelly to bring in a fresh approach, different perspective; where he failed was hiring someone with NFL experience, which obviously counts for something.

Fully agree with you there. I also think he did not realize how different the attitude of college kids vs that or pro-athletes. He saw Chip coming in with a plan, much like Andy, but completely failed to see the difference between the two. I also have the feeling that Roseman played a role as well, figuring Chip would be the most useful for his position, not what would be best for the team.

SixthStreet

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Peterson would be a solid hire. I prefer guys that get production out of marginal talent like he has as opposed to coordinators that are propped up by elite talent.

To get anything out of that KC offense after Charles got hurt is basically a miracle.

Iron Eagle

Nostril flare expert.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's not forget this is the same KC offense that didn't have a wr with a touchdown for 16 games straight.

Northern Eagle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Irony how you are arguing about Hue Jackson not getting a fair shake in Oakland - something I completely agree with, BTW - while a HC in Cleveland by definition does not get a fair shake.

Shurmur could be one of those - I think he actually is - who is able to improve as a coach, and learn from his experience.

Somehow he looked like a coach who was on the sideline and realized he was f-ed over by his former HC, and basically saw his career wrecked there.

You could be right Dutch, but how many former coaches from Cleveland recently have even gotten a sniff from other teams, if it was perceived that they didn't get a fair shake?

Maybe it is the stink of being associated with Cleveland that has made others hesitant, but I wouldn't want to take my chances with Shurmur, sorry.

I would definitely take him back as the OC, where I think he's best suited. Seems like a smart enough guy that he could incorporate his West Coast background with some of the stuff Chip he learned from Chip the last 3 years, and could be very effective in that capacity.

Taz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's gonna be Pederson or Gase.

I think its going to Gase. You don't schedule a 2nd interview as quickly as they did if they were not interested in him.

BTW the Eagles are interviewing McAdoo today I would bet he might impress as much as Gase. Plus he has NFC East experience and there is a good chance he brings Spagnolo with him.

Deano

Mental ninja
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell I'd rather hire a defensive coach and keep Shurmur as the OC. As bad as this division is, we only need a good offense or defense to take it.

McAdoo does nothing for me.
Payton is going nowhere.
I like Gase second best.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NO.......I want Hue, Gase, or McDermott, before I would like any of the other names out there. Dirk Koetter? I don't think so. We need a HC with some excitement. If we get Pederson, I will give him time, but do we really want a guy that did what Reid told him to do? I know that wings is still in love with Reid, but I still want a young guy that has excitement, even though Kelly failed. I want a guy who is more balanced than Chip, but has some "pizzazz" to him. Andy has not exactly dominated offensively, but inherited a loaded defense. Heck, I'd rather hire Bob Sutton than Pederson.

Andy knew what he was doing hiring Bob Sutton who won't be leaving for a head coaching role. Similar to what he did with JJ. Doug Pederson will be a head coach eventually. He's young and his offense has been balanced. Try to remember that we won't be hiring him as head coach to play quarterback. Seems like a bunch of you haters are confusing that.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Peterson would be a solid hire. I prefer guys that get production out of marginal talent like he has as opposed to coordinators that are propped up by elite talent.

To get anything out of that KC offense after Charles got hurt is basically a miracle.

I agree with you in principle. Only question in this case is how much was Reid and Childress and how much was Pederson. Either way though Andy has chosen Doug to contribute to his offenses more than once. He must like what he's doing. And I read that Doug has called more of the plays as the season has gone on. Can he gameplan without Andy? Who knows, but all the potential HCs have risks. Some guys pan out and some don't.

Screamin Eagle

Stand for the Flag, Kneel for the Cross
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be disappointed with Pederson cause I can remember his Eagles tenure....ugh!
I also would be disappointed with hiring Gase, I just don't feel he has done enough, long enough.
I am already disappointed that McDermot seems to be out of the picture.
Lurie seems afraid to be bold and remembers how comfortable he felt with Reid so I believe he is looking to rekindle that fuzzy feeling. He is damaged goods (emotionally). I am not feeling good about his plans.

SixthStreet

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree that Lurie is afraid to be bold. His last 2 hires were a guy that never was a coordinator and a college HC. If anything, it can be said he's not conservative enough. He's got a bit of the same "smartest guy in the room complex" that several of his notable past employees have had (Reid, Banner, Kelly).

If you are looking for his next hire, look to brash, overly confident guys. Payton fit the bill, but now unavailable. I don't think there is enough publicly available to know who the most arrogant candidate out there is.

Quite frankly, I think Lurie would be bored of the idea of hiring a NFL coordinator. I expect it to be an unexpected college hire. My money is still on either Brian Kelly or David Shaw.