• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Don't get Too Excited About The 49ers Moving Up to #3 In The Draft

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, so for me Shannahan's offense will be good most of the time, if JG can run it well, so can Fields, Jones, or Lance. JG got enough big plays in 2019, so its not about 50 yard TD's every series.

You make this kind of mega trade up to get the extra plays from the QB and IMO, the extra plays are from those that break down. It happens, your linemen misses a block, miscommunicaton between C and OG, a RB misses the blitz, an all out blitz by the D, or just a great rush by the Edge or Aaron Donald. These are the times you need the QB to make a difference and having the ability to scramble or run, helps a ton. Your offense stays of the field, scores, and helps the D.
I agree that having a multi tool QB is very helpful. Especially if it doesn't come at the expense of his ability to get the ball down the filed with his arm

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, and that is for QB's who run better than they pass (Lamar Jackson?), so their instinct is to run. This might apply a little to Trey Lance.

What i've read on Justin Fields is that he's a pocket passer first and foremost, but if he has to run he can. His running could be the difference in converting a 3rd and 10? With Jones, you almost have no chance of making that 3rd and 3 because he's going to get sacked.
It does seem a little odd that Shanahan would give up so much for Jones. It would make sense that he might be going for Fields because originally Fields was thought of as the better prospect than Jones and Shanahan might have believed that Fields would be gone if he didn't move up. But I also don't think Jones is as immobile as you seem to think. He can definitely run for a first on a 3rd and 3 if the pocket breaks down

"""Why Jones? Among other things, the Niners believe he has uncanny pocket skills, especially out of the shotgun formation, and next-level footwork. He can slide in the pocket to either side and react quickly to onrushing defenders, even unblocked ones...

— Michael Silver (@MikeSilver) April 23, 2021

Last edited:

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I agree that having a multi tool QB is very helpful. Especially if it doesn't come at the expense of his ability to get the ball down the filed with his arm
Yep, apparently why most 49er fans like Justin Fields.

I'm sold on him as a pocket passer first and foremost, his athleticism and running is gravy. But then again i shouldn't call it gravy, his is why you make a mega trade up, for the extras.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It does seem a little odd that Shanahan would give up so much for Jones. It would make sense that he might be going for Fields because originally Fields was thought of as the better prospect than Jones and Shanahan might have believed that Fields would be gone if he didn't move up. But I also don't think Jones is as immobile as you seem to think. He can definitely run for a first on a 3rd and 3 if the pocket breaks down

"""Why Jones? Among other things, the Niners believe he has uncanny pocket skills, especially out of the shotgun formation, and next-level footwork. He can slide in the pocket to either side and react quickly to onrushing defenders, even unblocked ones...

— Michael Silver (@MikeSilver) April 23, 2021
After reading so many articles, i believe Justin Fields is almost as good a prospect as Trevor Lawrence. IMO so close to Lawrence that the Jets could be drafting Fields?

I believe Jones could be a good QB for the 49ers too, he'll be a better version of the 2019 JG. He'll be better than JG because he won't throw that occassional "scratch your head" INT. He'll be better because the timing of his throws will be better. But we could really use a QB who keeps more drives alive, especially in the play-offs and SB.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After reading so many articles, i believe Justin Fields is almost as good a prospect as Trevor Lawrence. IMO so close to Lawrence that the Jets could be drafting Fields?

I believe Jones could be a good QB for the 49ers too, he'll be a better version of the 2019 JG. He'll be better than JG because he won't throw that occassional "scratch your head" INT. He'll be better because the timing of his throws will be better. But we could really use a QB who keeps more drives alive, especially in the play-offs and SB.
I had the same thought given the connection between the Jets and 49ers. What if the Jets had planned to take Fields and the 49ers might go for Wilson instead
Doesn’t seem likely though

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yeah, right. No way this cat is ready for the NFL.

He's not ready right now for sure, but the sooner he can "compete"........."sometime this season", better for this team. You don't have to start Lance this season even if he does appear ready.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's not ready right now for sure, but the sooner he can "compete"........."sometime this season", better for this team. You don't have to start Lance this season even if he does appear ready.
I think he had played in only 17 college games and always against inferior competition. I think he has only played in one game since 2019. The hype is way overdone

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think he had played in only 17 college games and always against inferior competition. I think he has only played in one game since 2019. The hype is way overdone
I don't feel the hype is overdone, every person in media and printed page is expecting Lance to need time. Even before the draft, everyone on TV was saying whomever drafts him, he'll need time to sit and learn. His 17 games of experience and jump to the NFL, is well known.

For myself, it makes sense to let JG be the QB anyway, he already knows the scheme and the team believes in him. Lance can still get reps "sometime" this season, even if not the starter.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't feel the hype is overdone, every person in media and printed page is expecting Lance to need time. Even before the draft, everyone on TV was saying whomever drafts him, he'll need time to sit and learn. His 17 games of experience and jump to the NFL, is well known.

For myself, it makes sense to let JG be the QB anyway, he already knows the scheme and the team believes in him. Lance can still get reps "sometime" this season, even if not the starter.
If the 49ers play the way they should they should have some substantial 4th quarter leads. That might be the time to get Lance some reps. I'd hate to see him get clobbered out there because of holding the ball too long being confused by the coverages; or take off running and get hurt.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If the 49ers play the way they should they should have some substantial 4th quarter leads. That might be the time to get Lance some reps. I'd hate to see him get clobbered out there because of holding the ball too long being confused by the coverages; or take off running and get hurt.
Yes, i would expect there will be a few games where he can go in and play some reps? Even if its hand-offs and short throws, don't need to push him right off.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't wait to see Lance out there. I suspect we'll see some plays drawn up ala Hill in NOLA just to get him in the game from time to time.... depending on how he looks in practice.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I can't wait to see Lance out there. I suspect we'll see some plays drawn up ala Hill in NOLA just to get him in the game from time to time.... depending on how he looks in practice.
For me, i get the impression Hill is run first, pass second? Anyway, I would like Lance to be pass first, run second.

He has to start off sometime, somehow so for me, start with short passes and hand-offs. In the very beginning, just accumulating game reps is good for the mental part. Just get comfortable receiving plays, calling plays, lining up, taking snaps without fumbling, and executing plays. Once comfortable with game speed, now you add throws further and further downfield.

The worse thing way to start is fumbling and throwing INT's.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For me, i get the impression Hill is run first, pass second? Anyway, I would like Lance to be pass first, run second.

He has to start off sometime, somehow so for me, start with short passes and hand-offs. In the very beginning, just accumulating game reps is good for the mental part. Just get comfortable receiving plays, calling plays, lining up, taking snaps without fumbling, and executing plays. Once comfortable with game speed, now you add throws further and further downfield.

The worse thing way to start is fumbling and throwing INT's.
This is just wishful thinking on my part. I was just trying to say that with a presumably healthy Garoppolo, Shanahan may look for ways to get Lance into the game from time-to-time similar to how Payton inserts Hill into the line-up. Just to throw a change-up out there and get an athlete on the field. If it's a designed pass instead of a run, that'd be cool.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This is just wishful thinking on my part. I was just trying to say that with a presumably healthy Garoppolo, Shanahan may look for ways to get Lance into the game from time-to-time similar to how Payton inserts Hill into the line-up. Just to throw a change-up out there and get an athlete on the field. If it's a designed pass instead of a run, that'd be cool.
Yes, i get it and makes good sense to give Lance game reps, where possible.

Just at the very beginning, i wouldn't call QB runs or give him a run package. Eventually he'll have to do a few called runs to keep the threat real, just not right off the bat.