• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dolphins "Questioning" Tua's Potential

QuestionSocratic

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Jets take a QB then Sewell is on the board and Miami runs to the podium. Miami has no reason to divulge how many good QBs they think are in this class to the Jets right now.
IMO Darnold has more upside than any QB in the draft besides Lawrence. Darnold has been in a dumpster fire and didn't have a chance. I hope that Darnold can get traded to a team that has everything but a quality long term QB. The Steelers or Bucs would be ideal spots where he could take over in a year or two.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO Darnold has more upside than any QB in the draft besides Lawrence. Darnold has been in a dumpster fire and didn't have a chance. I hope that Darnold can get traded to a team that has everything but a quality long term QB. The Steelers or Bucs would be ideal spots where he could take over in a year or two.
I’m not sure I agree with that. Darnold hasn’t done much in 3 years even if he is on a shitty team, you think he would show more than a glimpse here and there. He looked pretty inaccurate even when he had time, you can only put so much blame on “the team was bad”. Can be a reliable option on another organization, yea possibly but his ceiling doesn’t seem to be very high. A couple QB’s in this draft could have pretty high ceilings, not named Trevor

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Short of trading Tua for Watson or some significant draft capital, knowing you probably are picking one of Fields or Wilson, there's very little reason to give up on Tua. Just add... weapons around him?

Josh Allen was not a good QB his first two years in the NFL.

Yeah, but Josh Allen was always oozing with talent, especially his rocket of an arm. Tua does not have a rocket arm.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, but Josh Allen was always oozing with talent, especially his rocket of an arm. Tua does not have a rocket arm.

I agree. Sometimes you see a QB has special skills even if they aren’t polished

you just don’t see that with Tua like you did with Allen

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, even with all the coaching and experience in the world, you're not going to see Tua making the kind of plays and throws that Josh Allen is making.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There was some mock draft (I think on PFF) where the Dolphins draft Justin Fields and trade Tua to the Niners for the no. 12 pick. I would not be in favor of that.

And I can't remember who said this (maybe it was someone at PFF again), but someone said that Tua has the arm of a 40 year old Brees and the legs of a 37-year old Vick. Ouch. I know physical talent isn't everything, but you'd rather have your young QB have physical talent, especially when the mental part isn't there yet.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Performance concerning? A lot of people didn't even have him playing this year... he spent most of the offseason recovering, the fuck? I'm assuming this is "OMG look at what the Chargers got with Herbert!" overreaction.

Not saying Tua is the answer, but ride it another season for now without publicly bashing him which just shakes confidence and locker room demeanor. Leave it to Miami to fuck this up.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was some mock draft (I think on PFF) where the Dolphins draft Justin Fields and trade Tua to the Niners for the no. 12 pick. I would not be in favor of that.

And I can't remember who said this (maybe it was someone at PFF again), but someone said that Tua has the arm of a 40 year old Brees and the legs of a 37-year old Vick. Ouch. I know physical talent isn't everything, but you'd rather have your young QB have physical talent, especially when the mental part isn't there yet.

Niners are as SB ready as any team, right roster and HC, if they get the right QB, no way they can move forward with such a question mark like Tua. They are better off taking the best available QB at 12, someone like Trey Lance has far more raw talent than Tua. But bringing in an established vet also if it isn’t JG

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Speaking Tuesday, Dolphins GM Chris Grier committed to Tua Tagovailoa as the team's starting quarterback moving forward.​

Grier added the usual caveats: We will add competition at every position, can't rule out drafting a quarterback, etc., but it is unsurprising to hear. Even with the Texans' No. 3 overall pick, Tagovailoa did not play poorly enough as a rookie for the Dolphins to go the Josh Rosen or Dwayne Haskins route. Playing with a limited supporting cast, Tagovailoa certainly did not light up the stat sheet, but he largely avoided turnovers while hinting at play-making ability. There's no guarantee he is the long-sought answer in Miami, but his rookie year was ultimately a normal one

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Speaking Tuesday, Dolphins GM Chris Grier committed to Tua Tagovailoa as the team's starting quarterback moving forward.​

Grier added the usual caveats: We will add competition at every position, can't rule out drafting a quarterback, etc., but it is unsurprising to hear. Even with the Texans' No. 3 overall pick, Tagovailoa did not play poorly enough as a rookie for the Dolphins to go the Josh Rosen or Dwayne Haskins route. Playing with a limited supporting cast, Tagovailoa certainly did not light up the stat sheet, but he largely avoided turnovers while hinting at play-making ability. There's no guarantee he is the long-sought answer in Miami, but his rookie year was ultimately a normal one

Dolphins could definitely go the game manager route at the QB position and rely on running game and defense to win. They'll be the 2020's version of the Ravens with Dilfer, the Bucs with Brad Johnson, or the Bears with McMahon.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Niners are as SB ready as any team, right roster and HC, if they get the right QB, no way they can move forward with such a question mark like Tua. They are better off taking the best available QB at 12, someone like Trey Lance has far more raw talent than Tua. But bringing in an established vet also if it isn’t JG

Yeah, I just can't see the Niners trading for Tua in this upcoming draft day. It doesn't make sense. And it wouldn't make sense for them to give the Dolphins their 12th pick. If the Dolphins draft Fields like they do in that mock draft, then I don't think any team will give them a first round pick for Tua.

Trey Lance is an intriguing pick. I don't think he'll be there at 12, though. There seems to be several teams this year who want to draft a top QB prospect.

There are people conjecturing that the Niners could trade for Stafford or Matt Ryan. I'm wondering how that would work under the cap.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I just can't see the Niners trading for Tua in this upcoming draft day. It doesn't make sense. And it wouldn't make sense for them to give the Dolphins their 12th pick. If the Dolphins draft Fields like they do in that mock draft, then I don't think any team will give them a first round pick for Tua.

Trey Lance is an intriguing pick. I don't think he'll be there at 12, though. There seems to be several teams this year who want to draft a top QB prospect.

There are people conjecturing that the Niners could trade for Stafford or Matt Ryan. I'm wondering how that would work under the cap.

I’ve been preaching Stafford to the Niners, I’d love to see his talent for once in a great situation. Think because he is still relatively young, Detroit may feel they can rebuild with him rather than trade him.

Ryan makes a ton of sense (I just like Stafford more). The reunion with Kyle and everyone seems to think they are targeting a QB at 4. Even a lotta buzz here in NY that a trade to 2 with the Jets could happen if they think Miami is looking at a QB. Assuming the Jets stick with Darnald

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

trade would be good for niners only 2.8 cap hit but not for new team who would take hit for both qbs jimmy 24 mil + staff 19 mil or ryan 49 mil
ouch

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont think he is special BUT he’s played 9 games. Take Sewell and don’t look back...that is if the Jets pass on Sewell and take a QB

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Performance concerning? A lot of people didn't even have him playing this year... he spent most of the offseason recovering, the fuck? I'm assuming this is "OMG look at what the Chargers got with Herbert!" overreaction.

Not saying Tua is the answer, but ride it another season for now without publicly bashing him which just shakes confidence and locker room demeanor. Leave it to Miami to fuck this up.

Agreed. I think Tua played as well as you could hope for from a rookie thrown into a starting job midseason.

People have no patience for QBs.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah I am sure this is an overreaction to Herbert. It also could be a smoke screen for teams to think the Dolphins not going for a QB

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. I think Tua played as well as you could hope for from a rookie thrown into a starting job midseason.

People have no patience for QBs.

This isn't the old NFL where QBs take years to develop, today teams can see pretty quickly if a guy can make it or not. It's true that the bigger mistake made is holding on to hopes too long like the Bortles example given. How many 1st round busts went to a new team and met original expectations? That's why I don't get the love for Rosen.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Flores is a defensive head coach and typically defensive guys are happy with their QBs just being good.

They'd rather their QB not turn the ball over, maintain long drives, and let the defense do it's work.

That's why I think the Dolphins can have Watson if they want him but if they feel Tua can be a good QB they might want to go with him and use the picks to build up the team. Not to mention the cap space as Tua is going to be a lot cheaper. So between the draft picks and cap space the Dolphins would be able to build a more robust overall roster than they would with Watson.

If they feel Tua isn't going to be as good as they hope than they should trade for Watson. But I wouldn't assume Houston would want Tua because if I'm Houston I'd rather more picks than take on a guy that you're willing to move on from after a year.

Because to me if I'm the shoes of the Texans GM and I have to trade Watson, I'm getting a serious draft pick haul for him, completely tearing down the roster, and either hiring some scrub as head coach for a couple seasons to hold things down while I clean up the salary cap situation and build up the roster to make the job desirable for the guy I really want. Or I'm rolling the dice on a young talented but too green head coach and hoping he'll grow into the job by the team you got the roster ready to make a run.