• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Does extending the playoffs strength or weaken the regular season?

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As we all know, the NFL added two more teams to their playoff. It's now 14 contenders rather than 12 contenders. 44% of NFL teams make the playoffs. That's a 6% increase for playoff participation. The big change is that the #2 seed in the conference no longer gets a bye week.

Do you think this enhances the regular season or waters it down? For week 17, some teams rest their players and give their backups the opportunity to get some reps.

My vote goes to enhance. It creates competition between the top 2 seeds and increases the relevance of week 17. In other words, there's more playoff clinching scenarios happening.

RememberTheKoy

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It weakens it and gives the top seed a much larger unnecessary advantage.

You look at the last decade or so and how it has become a major trend for teams who make the Super Bowl to have benefited from being a top 2 seed with the bye week. Now only the top seed getting a bye makes the path all the easier for that team.

Less teams for the playoffs will always result in a better product. The more teams the more watered down the post season becomes.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the team that’s been the best, performed the best for the duration of the year gets rewarded. Crazy.wrong.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teams only play the regular season to make the playoffs. So who cares if the regular season is watered down? This isn't CFB where people like to pretend the regular season matters. None of the NFL players celebrate winning a division. Its only relevant because it gets you a better seed

RememberTheKoy

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the team that’s been the best, performed the best for the duration of the year gets rewarded. Crazy.wrong.

Oh look I say something and you're right there to disagree. So pathetic.

Enjoy the Steelers losing out on a bye week as the #2 seed.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

lol. thats all i can say. Think the NFL, and other major sports leagues disagree in some form, hence seeding, byes, etc.

A team that finished say 15-1 like the chiefs might, should not be rewarded? Get the same schedule that a 10-6 squad does? while winning 5 more games and maintaining excellence?

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

well 1 thing the eagles dont have to worry about Being the #2 seed anytime soon :suds:

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was on the fence when this thing was first announced but honestly, I really like it. The battle for that lone bye is intriguing and the teams slugging it out for the WC is great entertainment. Not only just that extra 7 seed but the battle within that WC battle for seeding. It will be even better once we get fans in the seats next year, imo.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To add to my previous post, it has strengthened the regular season. Teams that had terrible starts are still in the hunt in December because they were able to turn things around and string some wins together.

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't water it down at all. Every team has 16 games and you need to win enough of them to get to the dance. Once you get invited to the dance all you have to do is win and you get to dance with the hotter chick...win them all and your the king

If they added the 8th team, how often do you think they'd beat the #1 seed? Usually the #1 is quite a bit better than the #6, and going down 2 more would make that game almost a bye, in most cases

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adding one more team doesn't bother me.

It''s not like the NHL where seemingly almost everybody gets in...
nhl was absurd this year with 24 teams in, 7 out.

NBA seems to always have sub .500 teams in too

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The big problem would be that an NFC East team gets in. Things like that. But you always have issues with a weak division winner getting in.

RememberTheKoy

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol. thats all i can say. Think the NFL, and other major sports leagues disagree in some form, hence seeding, byes, etc.

A team that finished say 15-1 like the chiefs might, should not be rewarded? Get the same schedule that a 10-6 squad does? while winning 5 more games and maintaining excellence?

Yeah other sports floating the postseason with teams purely for the reason to make more money and not for the quality of the post-season, so yeah that's good for the fans!

I have no problem with the top seed getting a bye. They should. But so should the #2 seed. Instead now you have the best team in a conference getting an advantage that no other team in the conference is getting. Either do top 2 seeds with a bye or no teams with a bye. No need to tip the scale in advantage of the best team even further.

RememberTheKoy

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well 1 thing the eagles dont have to worry about Being the #2 seed anytime soon

Good one. Because my thoughts on this have nothing to do with the Eagles. As do many of my posts but people can't help bu constantly drag the Eagles into conversations that have nothing to do with them.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah other sports floating the postseason with teams purely for the reason to make more money and not for the quality of the post-season, so yeah that's good for the fans!

I have no problem with the top seed getting a bye. They should. But so should the #2 seed. Instead now you have the best team in a conference getting an advantage that no other team in the conference is getting. Either do top 2 seeds with a bye or no teams with a bye. No need to tip the scale in advantage of the best team even further.
So how would you feel about 'Australian Football League' style playoff system? Effectively they have 1 extra rounds of playoffs to get down to 6 teams with 2 teams getting a bye.

RememberTheKoy

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So how would you feel about 'Australian Football League' style playoff system? Effectively they have 1 extra rounds of playoffs to get down to 6 teams with 2 teams getting a bye.

They should have just kept it as is with 6 playoff teams and the top 2 seeds in each conference getting a bye.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFL season/league structure was basically as perfect as you can get up until they went to a 14 team playoff. Adding more 8 and 9 win teams to the playoffs is just an unnecessary money grab by the league. The reduction to 1 bye in each conference is interesting but again unnecessary.

Not sure this changes the regular season much. There's more competition for the #1 seed but it's also easier to lock in a playoff spot when almost half the league gets in.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFL season/league structure was basically as perfect as you can get up until they went to a 14 team playoff. Adding more 8 and 9 win teams to the playoffs is just an unnecessary money grab by the league. The reduction to 1 bye in each conference is interesting but again unnecessary.

Not sure this changes the regular season much. There's more competition for the #1 seed but it's also easier to lock in a playoff spot when almost half the league gets in.
in all honesty, its 1 more team per conference. its really not that much. im not in favor of it....

but 37.5% got in before, 43.75 get in now. they added 6.25%.