• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dodgers Vs Padres Game Series Thread Sep 20-22

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fri: 7:10pm Edinson Volquez (9-11 ERA 5.94) Vs Robbie Erlin (2-3 ERA 5.18)

Sat: 5:40pm Clayton Kershaw (14-9 ERA 1.94) Vs Burch Smith (1-1 ERA 6.57)

Sun: 1:10pm Zack Greinke (15-3 ERA 2.75) Vs Andrew Cashner (10-8 ERA 3.21)

Silas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's just hope no body gets hurt.

sublime4eva

Westcoast Redskin fan....
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Schumacher 3-4 tonight :)

Volquez with another good effort crooked hat and all :doh:

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a question I want to put out there:

How do you think Donnie should manage the lineup until the playoffs? Do you think that he should not start anyone and let them rest, only bringing them in for an AB or two at the end of each game? I just worry that they will get out of their routine of hitting regularly, and being settled in the lineup. I do think that they shouldn't be played everyday; no reason to run them into the ground or risk them getting hurt. I want them to be fresh for the playoffs, but I just wonder if dramatically messing with the lineup will make them have to take a few games to settle back into their role in the line-up, seeing their normal pitches again (based on who is in front of them and who is behind them), and i don't want it to burn us.

I think that maybe rotating them out of the lineup, like 2 games in and 1 game sitting, will still give them normalcy, by certainly not overwork them. If Uribe and Ellis already switch out on a normal basis, and of course the pitcher switching out, we are really only talking about the front of the lineup. I think sitting leadoff Crawford and #4 hitter Gonzales on a day, then sitting #2 Puig and #5 Kemp the next day, and Sitting #3 Hanley and #6 Mark Ellis then next day will serve to give those guys rest, but still have them in their normal spot on most days. It really doesn't disrupt the lineup as much as taking them all out until the playoffs. Or, maybe having two games with the normal lineup, and the third day pulling everyone.

I want them to rest (they certainly deserve it), but I also want them to be clicking right in time for the playoffs. The more you mess with a lineup, them more you take the guys out of sync. So I understand that it's perhaps a fine line, I'm just wondering what you all think about it.

I like that the rotation has been expanded to 5, so that they get an extra day to rest.

Last edited by a moderator:

Silas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's okay to rest the Regulars. If any of them get hurt or aggravate injuries they have they might not be able to play in the playoffs. Then it won't matter whether they have their timing or not.

I have to believe that the Regulars who are physically able to play will get into some games before the playoffs begin. Of all the Regulars, Matt Kemp could use the most AB's, though he has hit pretty well of late.

It's too bad these injuries have popped up again. If the Playoffs started today I suspect everyone would play despite their injuries, with the possible exception of Ethier.

We should be okay as long as we have solid pitching.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. There definitely is no reward to running them into the ground before the playoffs, I just hope that it doesn't come at a cost of them being out of sync. I don't think that it's certain that it will. Hahaha, I'm just worried that it might.

Silas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The one Dodger who seems to hit no matter how long he has been out is Hanley Ramirez. He may well be our MVP of the playoffs.

S

sportswise1

Cause for some worry
1) Starting pitching has been roughed up more than usual and they'll face tougher lineups than they have in their own division
2) Bullpen has not been "lights out" lately despite an overall great ERA. I don't trust Bellasario as much nor a few others
3) Not hitting anywhere near as well as mid season and not running the bases as well either.

sublime4eva

Westcoast Redskin fan....
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We definitely need to rest our guys that have lingering injuries if we can but we also need to keep them sharp, especially our pitching, Paco seems a little tired the rest will definitely help him as well as Kershaw and Greinke. As for our everyday players, Either needs to stay off the foot and Kemp should only play every other day, he needs to find his timing, Gonzalez and Ramirez have injuries that can get worse if not dealt with correctly, play em in a few days but watch em closely as well as Puig and Crawford who always seems injured in some way, I think Ramirez is playing tonight so Don's most important job is to pull these guys sooner than later in games, screw the games, we have some good minor leaguers that are getting the dream of a lifetime playing in the bigs, I can only imagine how excited they and there families must be.

Last edited by a moderator:

Old1949

Geriatric Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I've read, Mattingly is planning to consider each player's needs individually in deciding how much playing time they get. I think that's smart. Some players, like Kemp, may need more playing time to get back in the groove after being out so long. Others may need less playing time in order to rest or heal injuries. It's a fine balance, and I think they are taking the right approach. I'm sure Mattingly, the coaches, and maybe even some in the front office are having daily discussions on this topic.

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I've read, Mattingly is planning to consider each player's needs individually in deciding how much playing time they get. I think that's smart. Some players, like Kemp, may need more playing time to get back in the groove after being out so long. Others may need less playing time in order to rest or heal injuries. It's a fine balance, and I think they are taking the right approach. I'm sure Mattingly, the coaches, and maybe even some in the front office are having daily discussions on this topic.

I agree i think we have a great training staff despite alot of injuries everyone should be ready for the 1st round healthy:nod:

Silas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:agree:

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like a little rest did wonders for Kershaw.

LASports96

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kershaw and Greinke did well this weekend, which is the most important news