• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Dodgers at Cubs - This shouldn't be too much fun

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, been working a lot of late nights.

Monday

Cubs lost their starter after two innings then proceed to get shredded by the Cubs bullpen for 7 perfect innings. Dodgers only got one hit. Alex Wood pitched well, but now he's on the DL. Damn.

Tuesday

Cubs probably won't need their bullpen because Jake Arrieta is making hi first start against the Dodgers since he threw a no-hitter at Dodger Stadium last year. Kazmir likely gets humbled after throwing 12 Ks over 6 innings in his last start.

Also this:

Wednesday

Mike Bolsinger
against Jon Lester. Last time the Dodgers faced Lester, Mat Latos started, the Dodgers won, and I was at the game. So, hopefully those good times aren't wiped away by Lester carving up the Dodgers' offense this time around. Maybe Kike and Trayce can have big days from the right side of the plate? Hopefully Bolsinger's breaking ball doesn't get annihilated.

Thursday

This game will be at 11am PST, Kenta Maeda is supposed to start but his hand hurts, and Kyle Hendricks has been excellent for the Cubs this year. The 11am start probably means a questionable lineup with Gonzalez and co. riding the pine. There is a chance that Julio Urias could start this game, which would be scary but I'd set my alarm clock to be awake to watch and hope for better.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Julio Urias will start instead of Kenta Maeda.

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A split would go a long way and make this a successful road trip.

I will say, the narrative of "this team is in a collective slump and should snap out of it," is losing validity. Reality may be taking hold: this team cannot hit. I'll be curious to see how the FO adjusts to this reality at the end of June. You will have my mid June State of the Union address in a couple of weeks.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Urias got knocked around, but he didn't look bad, per se. I like that he finished his innnings and that he only had the one walk. The first couple hits were all dribblers - I think they said one was 80mph, another 64mph, and the infield hit didn't even register on StatCast.

Of course that all went out the window once the home run parade got going, but still, even after giving up back-to-back homers he kept his composure and finished his inning.

It's super important to remember that he's only 19.

Kershaw as a 20-year-old rookie had a strong debut in 2008 with 6 IP, 7 SO, 1 BB, and 2 ER (102 pitches). After that he didn't make it out of the 4th inning in his next start. In fact, he didn't have a decent showing for until his 10th start against a pathetic Washington Nationals (his first W).

Kershaw ended his age-20 season with a 4.26 ERA and 107.2 IP. That's an average of less than 5 IP per start.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Urias got knocked around, but he didn't look bad, per se. I like that he finished his innnings and that he only had the one walk. The first couple hits were all dribblers - I think they said one was 80mph, another 64mph, and the infield hit didn't even register on StatCast.

Of course that all went out the window once the home run parade got going, but still, even after giving up back-to-back homers he kept his composure and finished his inning.

It's super important to remember that he's only 19.

Kershaw as a 20-year-old rookie had a strong debut in 2008 with 6 IP, 7 SO, 1 BB, and 2 ER (102 pitches). After that he didn't make it out of the 4th inning in his next start. In fact, he didn't have a decent showing for until his 10th start against a pathetic Washington Nationals (his first W).

Kershaw ended his age-20 season with a 4.26 ERA and 107.2 IP. That's an average of less than 5 IP per start.

So what you're saying is that Stripling is the next Clayton Kershaw.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 homerun night for Seager, fellas. Looks like the pressure of being high in the lineup isn't getting to him much.

Haha.... Comparing anyone to Kershaw and his ascension is silly.

True, Kershaw is a once in a lifetime type of player.

LASports96

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy fucking shit Corey Seager

Gotta sweep the Braves

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haha.... Comparing anyone to Kershaw and his ascension is silly.
But keeping perspective that even the best pitcher in baseball had a rough go early on? Parallels can be drawn.

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But keeping perspective that even the best pitcher in baseball had a rough go early on? Parallels can be drawn.
Agreed. But the circumstances are a bit different. This new FO created a roster loaded with depth so they would not have to rush players into service. Meanwhile, Kershaw was enduring the McCourt era of no depth and no money - he thrust into action because of poor management.

Urias does not need to start and his poor results are unfortunate and not necessary. I believe Dodger management was better than this.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. But the circumstances are a bit different. This new FO created a roster loaded with depth so they would not have to rush players into service. Meanwhile, Kershaw was enduring the McCourt era of no depth and no money - he thrust into action because of poor management.

Urias does not need to start and his poor results are unfortunate and not necessary. I believe Dodger management was better than this.
Let's see what he does with the rest of the season before rendering a final judgement on whether or not the FO is ruining him.

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's see what he does with the rest of the season before rendering a final judgement on whether or not the FO is ruining him.

I'm not saying he is ruined. I just would not have started him or put him in high leverage, road situations. Build confidence, do not undermine it.

I think he looks great, but I have no issue coddling him for a few months in the bigs.