• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Doan

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can someone please explain to me why we would want him?

Yes I know he is a good leader. He also has seen decreasing point totals in his last 3 seasons. Oh and he's 36 meaning we'd get another "go fuck yourself" 35+ contract. Oh and he wants $5m(+?) a year for 4 years.

How does this help us knowing that next years FA market will be pretty deep and we'll have our own guys to re-sign at considerable raises?

Modhnoiri

An mbeidh ár Lá Tar!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesnt make any sense to me, but then again....neither did the signing of Jagr last year.

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doan is a warrior and a leader.
Would be a great addition

4thstreet

You should pay me for being here!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,850.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can someone please explain to me why we would want him?

Yes I know he is a good leader. He also has seen decreasing point totals in his last 3 seasons. Oh and he's 36 meaning we'd get another "go fuck yourself" 35+ contract. Oh and he wants $5m(+?) a year for 4 years.
How does this help us knowing that next years FA market will be pretty deep and we'll have our own guys to re-sign at considerable raises?

fuck that price.

As for explanations-I'm still trying to figure out the Gervais and Syvret signings?

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
fuck that price.

As for explanations-I'm still trying to figure out the Gervais and Syvret signings?

Gervais and Syvret are to insulate us against having to play 6 NHL rookie defensemen in a season again... at least I think that's it, if not I'm lost. Maybe the Phantoms have no D-men?

ProppRules

Flyers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think this post highlights the entire problem with this off-season. We as Fleyrs fans are used to getting the big name. We did not. But we are also getting used to not wanting to overpay for the biggest name left. Unfortunately, when you go this route (letting Carle and Jagr go) you are then stuck with depth signings. I am not sure which will work going into next year, but we can't want them to be economical and to get the best players at the same time. And this off-season, there were few middle of the road players. So it was either overpay for Carle, or players like Doan. Or pick up Rusty.
I personally wouldnt mind Doan in a Flyers uniform for 2-3 years. 4 would be pushing it. I don't really worry about the 35+ contracts, bc they just get buried on IR.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gervais and Syvret are to insulate us against having to play 6 NHL rookie defensemen in a season again... at least I think that's it, if not I'm lost. Maybe the Phantoms have no D-men?

but bourdon and gust played enough games to not be rookies anymore! :p

i'm guessing syvret spends a lot of time in the minors.. same w/ gust (because he's waiver exempt).. lilja, bourdon, and gervais will fight for the 6/7 spot.. but you dont wanna waive bourdon, he'll get claimed, and i dont think you can waive lilja (35+).. so.. why gervais?

as for doan.. he's basically a better skating, more physical, a little less goal scoring ability, but a lot more leadership ability, hartnell

for the right price i'd like him, but i'd rather go without if he wants 5 mil, or more than 2 years

Last edited by a moderator:

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See I love the Rusty signing another 3rd line 2 way player who can pop a few goals here and there. I really see Doan and Harts as the same type of player. Doan is a better skater and more established leader but I really think Harts has the better shot and step his leadership up big time this season. Gervais and Syvret are a mystery the more I think about it unless we really are going after Ryan/Perry/Weber(I don't want Nash personally) to give us some more flexibility in what we can offer.

I realize we do as fans feel like we're going to hit a home run every year and that's just not possible. I'm happy Homer didn't start overpaying for fuys this year because our really talented young guys need extensions soon and it's gonna be tough if 2 or more have break out years this year to keep the team in tact. I would have rather seen them sign a guy like Kurtis Foster for the 3rd pairing being another right hand shot who has had some success on the PP last season rather then Syvret and Gervais but that's another scneario entirely.

I don't think we need a big name now all that will do is take time away from our guy who need to see the ice in all situations to fully develope. We shoudl at least start the season with this roster, I guess hope Pronger is secretly doing much better and may play and see how thing shape up until the ASG then see what we need and make a move. That is unless we are getting Ryan/Perry/Weber now then I'm fine for a trade as long as Homer's untouchable list stays untouchable.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See I love the Rusty signing another 3rd line 2 way player who can pop a few goals here and there. I really see Doan and Harts as the same type of player. Doan is a better skater and more established leader but I really think Harts has the better shot and step his leadership up big time this season. Gervais and Syvret are a mystery the more I think about it unless we really are going after Ryan/Perry/Weber(I don't want Nash personally) to give us some more flexibility in what we can offer.

I realize we do as fans feel like we're going to hit a home run every year and that's just not possible. I'm happy Homer didn't start overpaying for fuys this year because our really talented young guys need extensions soon and it's gonna be tough if 2 or more have break out years this year to keep the team in tact. I would have rather seen them sign a guy like Kurtis Foster for the 3rd pairing being another right hand shot who has had some success on the PP last season rather then Syvret and Gervais but that's another scneario entirely.

I don't think we need a big name now all that will do is take time away from our guy who need to see the ice in all situations to fully develope. We shoudl at least start the season with this roster, I guess hope Pronger is secretly doing much better and may play and see how thing shape up until the ASG then see what we need and make a move. That is unless we are getting Ryan/Perry/Weber now then I'm fine for a trade as long as Homer's untouchable list stays untouchable.

good post.. agreed.. i didnt think of foster at all (garrison was my hope, but for similar reasons)

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
good post.. agreed.. i didnt think of foster at all (garrison was my hope, but for similar reasons)

Thanks Awaz.

Also Garrison would have been nice, especially for the ccntract he got, but if he was a 1 hit wonder like those kids who sang "umm bop" we would have looked like idiots. I think the risk for the $ and term was just too great for teh Flyers to take know who they had to pay in coming years. In fact I think it was the same with Carle(except we know what to expect from him).

One big component to this is how L Schenn develops this year, he's a big physical guy who makes a good first pass and has a solid shot, he could turn into a more well rounded Carle in the long run. Everyone has to remember when Carle came here he wasn't all the good but his playing time and the coaching he recieved help him elevate his game, I believe given the same opportunity L Schenn will vastly improve over the next season and while he will never be another Pronger he will drastically close the gap between himself and Carle whil costing us $2m a year less and keeping his brother(who could turn into a superstar happy).

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks Awaz.

Also Garrison would have been nice, especially for the ccntract he got, but if he was a 1 hit wonder like those kids who sang "umm bop" we would have looked like idiots. I think the risk for the $ and term was just too great for teh Flyers to take know who they had to pay in coming years. In fact I think it was the same with Carle(except we know what to expect from him).

One big component to this is how L Schenn develops this year, he's a big physical guy who makes a good first pass and has a solid shot, he could turn into a more well rounded Carle in the long run. Everyone has to remember when Carle came here he wasn't all the good but his playing time and the coaching he recieved help him elevate his game, I believe given the same opportunity L Schenn will vastly improve over the next season and while he will never be another Pronger he will drastically close the gap between himself and Carle whil costing us $2m a year less and keeping his brother(who could turn into a superstar happy).

i dont think the flyers can just ignore signing players in the 5 mil range (carle, garrison, etc) because they have some guys coming up that will be expensive.. obviously they have to plan accordingly, because June 2014 (while they're parading down broad street :D) giroux, couturier, and schenn will all need new contracts.. BUT, couturier and schenn will be RFA, timonen's 6.5 comes off June 2013 as does hartnell's 4.3, but i expect hartnell will be resigned if he continues to play like he did last year

Big Numbers

Summer 2013
Timonen 6.5
Hartnell 4.2

Summer 2014
Giroux 3.75
Couturier 1.375
Schenn 3.1
Meszaros 4

It'd be kinda helpful if briere retired in the next 2-3 years (he's currently 34) :D

and as for LSchenn.. i'm very optimistic that he'll pan out.. the flyers have done well in the past getting guys that could use a change of scenery.. meszaros, carle, and especially coburn, have really worked out for the flyers on the backend, after having been somewhat bust-like.. coburn was a little different, he hadn't really played a lot yet, but the other two had some of their worst seasons, the season prior to the flyers acquiring them.. plus, the flyers do have a good amount of depth on the backend.. i dont expect schenn to play a top 4 role when everyone is healthy, unless he earns it.. ideally he earns it, coburn/grossmann are the top pair, schenn earns a spot with mesz on the 2nd pair, and timonen is free to rest/tutor bourdon (he's done a great job of that w/ coburn)

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i dont think the flyers can just ignore signing players in the 5 mil range (carle, garrison, etc) because they have some guys coming up that will be expensive.. obviously they have to plan accordingly, because June 2014 (while they're parading down broad street :D) giroux, couturier, and schenn will all need new contracts.. BUT, couturier and schenn will be RFA, timonen's 6.5 comes off June 2013 as does hartnell's 4.3, but i expect hartnell will be resigned if he continues to play like he did last year

Big Numbers

Summer 2013
Timonen 6.5
Hartnell 4.2

Summer 2014
Giroux 3.75
Couturier 1.375
Schenn 3.1
Meszaros 4

It'd be kinda helpful if briere retired in the next 2-3 years (he's currently 34) :D

and as for LSchenn.. i'm very optimistic that he'll pan out.. the flyers have done well in the past getting guys that could use a change of scenery.. meszaros, carle, and especially coburn, have really worked out for the flyers on the backend, after having been somewhat bust-like.. coburn was a little different, he hadn't really played a lot yet, but the other two had some of their worst seasons, the season prior to the flyers acquiring them.. plus, the flyers do have a good amount of depth on the backend.. i dont expect schenn to play a top 4 role when everyone is healthy, unless he earns it.. ideally he earns it, coburn/grossmann are the top pair, schenn earns a spot with mesz on the 2nd pair, and timonen is free to rest/tutor bourdon (he's done a great job of that w/ coburn)

I totally agree that we can't just ignore signing guys in those price ranges, I just mean if we're going to pay a guy in that range we can't be grossly overpaying him based on his talent and production level. Carle would have been about $1m more then I thought he was worth, but that's just the markey now, I would have been fine with them offering him the deal he got minus a NTC(if he even got one). The Flyers really fucked up waiting on Parise and Suter this off season and I hope they learn a lesson moving forward. Sometimes it's better to sign the 2nd tier guys quickly while everyone fights over the 1-2 elite guys.

Everyone knows I hate Briere, his lack of showing up during the regular season, his small play and his contract especially. I wish they could trade him but I would take him retiring. I think the Flyers will have an very difficult time this season after losing size on the W's and only have Cooter at C.

I share your same sentiment on our team with rehabbing D-men if you will. However I think he will definitely push for top 4 time this year and I'm hoping Lavy allows Timmo more down time, he's getting older and a healthy Timmo down the stretch will be huge in helping them in a very tough Atlantic and East for that matter.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I totally agree that we can't just ignore signing guys in those price ranges, I just mean if we're going to pay a guy in that range we can't be grossly overpaying him based on his talent and production level. Carle would have been about $1m more then I thought he was worth, but that's just the markey now, I would have been fine with them offering him the deal he got minus a NTC(if he even got one). The Flyers really fucked up waiting on Parise and Suter this off season and I hope they learn a lesson moving forward. Sometimes it's better to sign the 2nd tier guys quickly while everyone fights over the 1-2 elite guys..

couldnt agree more
Everyone knows I hate Briere, his lack of showing up during the regular season, his small play and his contract especially. I wish they could trade him but I would take him retiring. I think the Flyers will have an very difficult time this season after losing size on the W's and only have Cooter at C.

only having cooter at C? you mean in terms of size?

I share your same sentiment on our team with rehabbing D-men if you will. However I think he will definitely push for top 4 time this year and I'm hoping Lavy allows Timmo more down time, he's getting older and a healthy Timmo down the stretch will be huge in helping them in a very tough Atlantic and East for that matter

ProppRules

Flyers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
THe Flyers have enver had a problem signing players to 5million plus contracts. And they offered two very large contracts to Suter and Parise. It;s not like they got tight with the purse strings all of a sudden. Even Garrison at a 4.6 AAV is ridiculous for a guy with less than 30 career goals or whatever. If Carle were the best available and they were in desperate need and there were no other options in the foreseeable future, then I would have wanted them to pay for him. But with players like Weber and Enstrom UFA's next year, I would rather the team waits to go after them. THe Flyers defense this year will be as good as Bryzgalov is. Adding Carle to that mix wouldn't change that fact. Why mortgage a run at someone like Weber just by marginally upgrading our depth this one season?

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
THe Flyers have enver had a problem signing players to 5million plus contracts. And they offered two very large contracts to Suter and Parise. It;s not like they got tight with the purse strings all of a sudden. Even Garrison at a 4.6 AAV is ridiculous for a guy with less than 30 career goals or whatever. If Carle were the best available and they were in desperate need and there were no other options in the foreseeable future, then I would have wanted them to pay for him. But with players like Weber and Enstrom UFA's next year, I would rather the team waits to go after them. THe Flyers defense this year will be as good as Bryzgalov is. Adding Carle to that mix wouldn't change that fact. Why mortgage a run at someone like Weber just by marginally upgrading our depth this one season?

i agree w/ you.. just that i dont think 4.6 is ridiculous, and i dont really think 5.5 is ridiculous.. i think 'mortgaging a run at weber' would've been parise and weber.. who i think are both significantly overpaid

even with carle or garrison, the flyers would've had the money to go after weber next year.. with parise and/or suter they definitely/probably would not have

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
keep in mind
there may be an amnesty clause

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes I meant cooters size.

Next years UFA class is better then this years IMO. So I'm happy we struck out on Parise. I think if we got Suter it may have given us a better shot AT&T Weber but we would have had to move considerable pieces to fit bother of them an G, Schenn, Cooter under the cap and still have anywhere near the depth we have now. All things considered go all in for Weber next year we should be set for years, maybe by then you'll have to trade for a W for G to play with but I think our guys will develope into that role and I'm almost 100% Harts will have an extension by the ASG this season.

ProppRules

Flyers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That may be true Awaz. I just look at Carle and think that he isn't making them a Cup contender so much more that the team needed to break the bank for him. Honestly, I liked Carle. I thought up to 5 was reasonable, so what he signed for wasn't that far off. But it was over my guess, so I understand them walking away. And I agree, both Parise and Suter were ridiculous contracts...

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That may be true Awaz. I just look at Carle and think that he isn't making them a Cup contender so much more that the team needed to break the bank for him. Honestly, I liked Carle. I thought up to 5 was reasonable, so what he signed for wasn't that far off. But it was over my guess, so I understand them walking away. And I agree, both Parise and Suter were ridiculous contracts...

thats fair. i can agree w/ that. he's a very solid guy to have, but he's not a huge difference maker

seems like most of this board is content with the flyers being patient this year.. hoping for a good run from the young guys and bryz, and then building the dynasty next summer

good :)

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thats fair. i can agree w/ that. he's a very solid guy to have, but he's not a huge difference maker

seems like most of this board is content with the flyers being patient this year.. hoping for a good run from the young guys and bryz, and then building the dynasty next summer

good :)

The thing about next season is that the Flyers have to re-sign: UFA's- Timmo, Harts & maybe Rusty RFA's- Simmonds, Wellwood & Rinaldo. They would have 13 players on the roster with $25m before a cap raise a a whole slew of possible high caliber UFA's- Weber, Perry, Lupul, Horton, Zidlicky, Enstrom, Clowe, etc... We have a better chance at building up our core through next years FA then this years. So I'm all for being patient and not mortgaging our future on some over priced, over rated, aging player.