• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Do you you ever go to the movies by yourself?

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I even put my thingie through the bottom of the popcorn bag to surprise myself!

I used to go alone sometimes when my daughter was little and I wanted to see something my wife wasn't interested in, like "Borat". My daughter's activities keep me busy enough shuttling her around now that I don't have much time for movies.

so is your surprise like the old box of Cracker Jacks where you get a little toy inside?

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't go to movies often anyways but I'm with everyone else not weird.

It would probably be more enjoyable to go to a real high end comedy with other people who are pumped to see it too, or an iconic type movie like Jurassic World.

But def never weird. You are ultimately there to watch.

lilchi721

Hoopla Cash
$ 20,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Movies are best when one is alone. The exception was going to the drive-in back in the 70's & 80's... solo at a drive-in is just weird!

Speaking of drive-ins... I kinda feel sorry for kids today because they don't have that option. Back in the 70's & 80's when vehicles had the gear-shift on the steering column, and the car front seats were bench style or split bench style, it was awesome to take a girl to the drive-in!

One would generally go to a drive-in to see a crappy film or a film you already saw in an indoor theater. You would also bring along some refreshments in a small cooler, and have a great time with your date. You and your girl would then spend the evening sucking face, and of course you would eventually drop her panties and get yourself a sticky finger or two!

Ah... the good old days!
There some drive in movie theaters still in operation in Texas today.

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There some drive in movie theaters still in operation in Texas today.

We still have a few operating here in Michigan too, but today's vehicles just aren't drive-in theater friendly. Older cars were much more spacious and comfortable (of course, back then vehicles were also much heavier and ate a lot of gas).

As far as I know, this is the only one remaining in the Detroit metro area.
Ford Drive-In Dearborn Michigan

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quite often. I really like sci-fi or adventure movies and my wife really doesn't so she is glad to send me off.

Sometimes I have some friends to go with but when I don't or the schedules don't sync I have no problem going alone.

Plus I like the experience of going to the movies with mega popcorn and stuff.

I'm at the point where I'm not concerned what others might think.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it's a movie I really want to see I prefer going alone because there will be fewer distractions. Either way, think about it, what are you doing at a theater? You're sitting quietly in a dark room with your attention forward. Does any of that sound social?

3 & 6 years to go...

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I had some weekdays free I used to all the time. I never thought it was weird.

If you feel weird doing it - when you enter the half empty theater just sit right next to someone else. .
Oh, yeah. That will go over real well with the other person.

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it's a movie I really want to see I prefer going alone because there will be fewer distractions. Either way, think about it, what are you doing at a theater? You're sitting quietly in a dark room with your attention forward. Does any of that sound social?

well that depends on who you ask
th

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've never went to a comedy by myself.

But I'll go to movies the little lady doesn't want to see. Kinda nice not hearing "I'm bored." Or "what's going on?"

Never went alone to a weekend evening show, just matinees. Only 5 bucks here in the middle of nowhere.

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why not invite a gal and hit up a buddy? No need to go alone! Besides i need someone to talk to afterwards about the movie.

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why not invite a gal and hit up a buddy? No need to go alone! Besides i need someone to talk to afterwards about the movie.
Best part is you can chalk it up as a date (so you can get laid) but you dont have to talk to her :nod:

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember when I took my daughter and her friends to see "The Notebook". They were middle school age at the time. Well I sure as hell wasn't sitting in there watching that shit. I had to pick another movie that would end before that one. So I checked the times and picked one. I went in to see "Dodgeball". It was OK to waste some time and eat popcorn. When it was over I picked the girls up out front. The first words out of their mouths? "Best movie ever!" I've never seen it to this day and have no idea who is even in it.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't go to the movies at all basically. I'd rather watch movies at home. The whole experience money wise seems like a ripoff to me.

But if I wanted to see a movie, I'd go by myself and not think anything about it.

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If there was one good thing for me that came from Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, it is that I discovered going to the movies alone. Since then, not only do I consider it acceptable but it is my preference if it's a movie I really want to see.

The main reason I like going to movies alone is that my girlfriend talks during movies, TV comedy show etc., so do a few of my guy friends that I might otherwise hang out with. This was almost a deal breaker for me and my girlfriend. It is absolutely beyond my comprehension as to why people just can't help themselves but talk to you while they should realize you are trying to watch the movie. You would think they should want to be doing the same. It's bad enough they do it at all, but especially after you've given them every cue imaginable that you aren't interested in anything they have to say and that you are currently more interested in the movie that you both went to watch. I've even gone as far as to flat out tell people to shut the fuck up during the movie and they think I'm the one being unreasonable and it doesn't stop them from doing it again. :L I'll goto the movies with my girlfriend when it's something she really wants to see and wants me to go, but if it's something I want to see, I'm either going alone or maybe with certain other friends who have proven they understand proper movie watching etiquette.

But even if it's a friend that can sit through a movie in silence, why do I need them there to enjoy the movie? They might not be bothering me but they aren't really doing anything for me either. Sure I can discuss the movie with them after if that interests me, but I can do that if we see it separately too. I'm usually pretty spontaneous and independent, so for me to make plans in advance with someone (which for movies usually involves meeting somewhere to eat first at a specific time), I'd like there to be some sort of payoff. It's not a huge inconvenience so the payoff doesn't even have to be that big of a deal. But honestly I see little to no payoff in meeting up with someone to see a movie that I can enjoy just as much on my own.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if my gal dont wanna go or is working? i stick to one girl.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the last movie I even saw in a theatre was Terminator III? In 2002?

Much, much better to just watch at home.

And I'll watch alone at home.