• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Do You Have a Really Great Hamburger Joint Nearby??

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My wife and I decided that we wanted to go out yesterday evening and get a really good hamburger. Thr question immediately came up, "Where should we go?" Not to McD, BK, Wendy's, 5 Guys or any othet fast food chain. So we started looking for a good local hamburger joint. The local drive-ins serve frozen burgers and aren't really that good. We spent nearly an hour looking for a Hamburger Joint and literally couldn't find any place nearby that served hamburger sandwiches as a specialty. I ended up going to KC's Rib Shack and getting a Trough (Ribs, Pulled pork, Sausage and Chicken).

What happened to that place that you used to be able to get a great 1/4, 1/3, 1/2 pound burger with fully cooked fries and a giant chocolate frappe? We had a great place in Maine when I was a teenager called Valle's that has since gone out of business.

I swear I'd make a day trip, 500 miles, to eat a quality burger.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Five Guys

in my hometown we have an old school Stewarts Rootbeer that you drove up to and they put the tray on your window and their burgers are really damn good. I miss that place.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Public House, a pub down in Cheviot, has awesome hamburgers

Sexual Chocolate

That Boy Good
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,250.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a quick place, need to sit down with a waitress.

Denver’s “Bull and Bush”, great English style pub. They have a burger with bacon and horseradish cream. OMG

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They should have them in every town. Maybe its different here in the midwest

Sexual Chocolate

That Boy Good
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,250.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Schoop’s in NW Indiana is good too

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have a small country bar nearby called the Moonglo. The Moon Burger is a legend in these parts. Met the owner through work, tried it at his invite and now is a go to place a couple times a month.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Missouri spots I'd recommend:

Blueberry Hill in the STL area
Booches in Columbia
Paddy Malone's in Jefferson City
Lamberts in Springfield area
Central Missouri Meat and Sausage near Fulton

Not sure about Kansas City. I've been to Town Topic a few times but thats probably not the place to go

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh.

I kinda get it, there are places that are a definite step up from the fast food chains, but at the end of the day, a burger is just a burger, after all.

Most of the better places around me, they're charging 15$ and up for some kind of "gourmet" burger, usually with fancy toppings. And I'm not always sure if they taste 4 times better than a Wendy's.

Pure Steel

Hoopla Cash
$ 402.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Krug's Tavern in Newark has tremendous burgers, but I can buy Pat LaFrieda burgers now and put them on a good brioche roll and get similar results......Actually making them later today......

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh.

I kinda get it, there are places that are a definite step up from the fast food chains, but at the end of the day, a burger is just a burger, after all.

Most of the better places around me, they're charging 15$ and up for some kind of "gourmet" burger, usually with fancy toppings. And I'm not always sure if they taste 4 times better than a Wendy's.

I couldn't disagree more. I don't think OP is talking about "gourmet". A mom and pop, greasy spoon with real fresh cut fries is hard to beat.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I couldn't disagree more. I don't think OP is talking about "gourmet". A mom and pop, greasy spoon with real fresh cut fries is hard to beat.
Yeah they taste better at certain places but why they gotta charge me 20$ for it? He used the phrase "really great" which implies high quality, but it's almost like calling your oil and lube shop "Taj Mahal Automotive "

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah they taste better at certain places but why they gotta charge me 20$ for it? He used the phrase "really great" which implies high quality, but it's almost like calling your oil and lube shop "Taj Mahal Automotive "

i thought you left. Stop getting my hopes up.

Red Robin used to be good, but they kept raising the prices and now it cost as much as a steak dinner to take my wife there.

Normally, we either go to Steak N Shake or my wife cooks some on the grill. But Steak n Shake is barely a step up from Mickey D's.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not entirely on topic here, but I stopped at McD's tonight to get the son some ice cream after his last baseball game. I've done breakfast at McDonald's, but it has to have been at least 5-6 years since I've actually had a burger there. But I was hungry, and we had a 2+ hour car ride home still, so when I saw they had "New Artisanal Bacon Smokehouse Burger from our Signature Crafted Steakhouse Sandwich recipe" I decided to try it. I mean with that many fancy descriptors added to the title this thing had to be good.

So I ordered that, and the drive through lady was like "That comes in 3 varieties, would you like Garlic white cheddar, buttermilk blah, blah..." I cut her off before even listening to my 3rd option. A garlic and white cheddar, bacon smokehouse signature crafted artisanal burger sounds like beavan to me. Even if it is from McD's. And then like an idiot I confused this poor mentally handicapped minimum wage teenager by saying; "Can I get that plain. No lettuce or tomatoes or anything."

So we get our food and start driving home. I have the son get out my super fancy McDonalds burger, and I'm so excited to eat it.

Those motherfuckers have me a bun with a single tiny, dry patty of meat on it. No white cheddar. No garlic Aoli. No bacon smokehouse. No artisanal. No crafted steakhouse recipe. A fucking plain bun with a normal fast food possible meat patty.