• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Do you feel sorry for San Diego and Chargers fans?

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It appears the San Diego Chargers are trying their hardest to out-maneuver the city of San Diego and grease the skids for their move to Los Angeles. When the subject of teams relocating comes up it tends to stir emotions amongst fans. Baltimore lost the Colts, but they eventually got the original Browns who became the Ravens. Los Angeles has had three teams leave, and ironically enough, all three flirting with returning. The Vikings have come up in relocation talks, as have the Jaguars. The Oilers moved to Nashville and became the Titans. And there have been others over the years. It happens.

Relocation raises some questions. Why would a team move? Isn't there a lot of risk associated with rebranding and relocating? Presumably it comes down to stadium deals or fan support. Or in the Chargers case, both. Sometimes a city losing its team evokes feelings of sympathy amongst fans. I think everyone except Baltimore felt Cleveland was getting screwed when the Browns left. So if the Chargers leave San Diego, will Broncos sympathize with Chargers fans left behind in San Diego?

My answer? Nope. Not in the least bit. It may sound a little cruel, but I honestly believe San Diego is among the most undeserving of NFL cities. Chargers fans are the definitive fair weather fans. I've lived in San Diego twice. The first time was during the Mike Riley years, where the team when 1-15 and 5-11. When the city subsidized ticket sales to help the team avoid blackouts the locals went crazy and all but demanded the team take their football and go somewhere else to play. The second time I lived there was 2007-2010, some really good years for the Chargers. Suddenly the locals loved their team. I understand going from the pathetic embarrassment of a franchise the Chargers were to a competitive team will result in increased interest, but this was beyond that. They were downright ugly people during my time there. I can't tell you how many times I'd be wearing a Broncos hat and have someone come up to me and my wife/kids in the mall and tell me to f-off. Even people in my church were rude about it. The sports radio out there was laughably bad. And to top it off, even in a good year (they went 11-5 in 2007) the team came dangerously close to having a playoff game blacked out.

What kind of fans allow their team to risk a playoff blackout? Undeserving fans. Chargers fans in San Diego won't get a drop of sympathy from me when the team leaves. In fact, the thought of it actually puts a smile on my face. I know that's not very mature, but I also don't care.

Your thoughts?

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My thoughts? Well I would say you must be really really bored my friend:)

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My thoughts? Well I would say you must be really really bored my friend:)

Well, yeah, at least when it comes to football news.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,532.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It appears the San Diego Chargers are trying their hardest to out-maneuver the city of San Diego and grease the skids for their move to Los Angeles. When the subject of teams relocating comes up it tends to stir emotions amongst fans. Baltimore lost the Colts, but they eventually got the original Browns who became the Ravens. Los Angeles has had three teams leave, and ironically enough, all three flirting with returning. The Vikings have come up in relocation talks, as have the Jaguars. The Oilers moved to Nashville and became the Titans. And there have been others over the years. It happens.

Relocation raises some questions. Why would a team move? Isn't there a lot of risk associated with rebranding and relocating? Presumably it comes down to stadium deals or fan support. Or in the Chargers case, both. Sometimes a city losing its team evokes feelings of sympathy amongst fans. I think everyone except Baltimore felt Cleveland was getting screwed when the Browns left. So if the Chargers leave San Diego, will Broncos sympathize with Chargers fans left behind in San Diego?

My answer? Nope. Not in the least bit. It may sound a little cruel, but I honestly believe San Diego is among the most undeserving of NFL cities. Chargers fans are the definitive fair weather fans. I've lived in San Diego twice. The first time was during the Mike Riley years, where the team when 1-15 and 5-11. When the city subsidized ticket sales to help the team avoid blackouts the locals went crazy and all but demanded the team take their football and go somewhere else to play. The second time I lived there was 2007-2010, some really good years for the Chargers. Suddenly the locals loved their team. I understand going from the pathetic embarrassment of a franchise the Chargers were to a competitive team will result in increased interest, but this was beyond that. They were downright ugly people during my time there. I can't tell you how many times I'd be wearing a Broncos hat and have someone come up to me and my wife/kids in the mall and tell me to f-off. Even people in my church were rude about it. The sports radio out there was laughably bad. And to top it off, even in a good year (they went 11-5 in 2007) the team came dangerously close to having a playoff game blacked out.

What kind of fans allow their team to risk a playoff blackout? Undeserving fans. Chargers fans in San Diego won't get a drop of sympathy from me when the team leaves. In fact, the thought of it actually puts a smile on my face. I know that's not very mature, but I also don't care.

Your thoughts?
You should not wear a hat in church.
Especially a Broncos hat. No, really. That is disrespectful.
After church? cool.
Except for Hammer, San Diego people are cool.
Perhaps you don't get the Cali sense of humor?
SoCal fans are not good football fans, I get what you say. But they are good people.
Some things are hard to understand - like why Denver fans don't go to the beach!

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Southie, I would never brush off a whole region as "bad people." As many people as live down there you're certain to find a little of everything. So while I realize you're being humorous, I want to make sure I clear that up. No region in the U.S. is inherently good or bad. Except Denver. Denver is inherently good.

However when you neck down from "Southern California" to "San Diego area" to "Chargers fans" you've narrowed the discussion quite a bit. And you're still going to paint with a broad brush because there are a lot of Chargers fans who are decent people. But there are a lot who are not. And while it may seem petty all these years later to be amused at their city being on the brink of losing its team, I consider it a natural reaction to observed behavior. They're fair weather fans. Not only that, but they're total douche rockets when the team is good. If I felt it was good-natured jabbing that would be one thing. Open hostility is a better way to describe it.

No sympathy for Chargers fans when the team leave San Diego.

DownSetHutch

d-_-b
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a long-time resident of San Diego, I would hate to see the Chargers move out of town. The Chargers playing here is my chance to see the Broncos play once a year without having to travel. But aside from that, I would honestly feel bad for a lot of the Charger fans that I know. They may not be the most knowledgeable football fans, but they are loyal and passionate. Maybe not as loyal and passionate as Bronco fans, but they are both loyal and passionate. Enough to be considered legit in my book.

Now having said that, there are/were a lot of Charger fans that are total c0cksuckers. Those are/were comprised of young males (gangbangers/thugs) who would otherwise be Raider fans. And I remember that 5-year period when the Chargers
won the AFC West. Those little fucks came out of the fucking woodwork and took Charger fandom to new lows. And almost all of the rest of the Charger fanbase became insufferable too. So during that time period, I couldnt stand the fanbase. They were a bunch of arrogant pricks. It wasn't fun to talk football with them, because it wasn't good-natured ribbing and typical smack talk that would occur between two fanbases that have seen the promised land. It was vitriol and hate coming from the fanbase whose team has never won a Championship. And what made it even more annoying was the overall lack of knowledge that they would spew. You can't be that uppity if you don't thoroughly know your team's past and present. It's just not a good look.

But times have changed. You don't see little gangbanger wannabes wearing Charger jerseys 24/7 now, and the rest of the fanbase has quieted down and seems to have gained some humility. Learned a lesson? I don't know, but I tend to think if/when they have success again they will handle themselves with a little more class. I would hope so anyway, because in that 5-year span they still never won a Superbowl. Win one and then talk shit. Otherwise STFU and GTFO.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
San Diego still is one of the more beautiful cities I have visited in my lifetime. I guess I can understand a little of either paying $250 for a bad seat at a football game or going to the beach for the day would be a tough decision. Having said that the city and the people of San Diego just don't seem to care about having the football team. Heck really any sport as I know the Padres aren't even all that well supported in the community. Even when they were winning they still struggled to get people in the seats so to me I don't feel bad for them losing the team as they just don't seem to care either. I think they will feel the hurt though as I do know quite a few Bronco fans love going to San Diego for the game (I've heard that at some of the games it has been hard to tell that it wasn't a home game for the Broncos). So really the tourism industry will take a decent blow but again if the city isn't fighting to keep the team then might as well find a place that actually wants them. I don't think the city of Denver would even let the Broncos hardly threaten to leave. I know when the new stadium was up Bowlen did somewhat mention that idea but it passed right away for the city to help finance the stadium so it just goes to show the difference between a city that loves their team and that of a city who could care less.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was born in Long Beach and then we moved to SD when I was 1. My Pops was in Navy and stationed there. We moved to Colo when I was 7 and thus began my Bronco yrs. I think some don`t really understand the SD culture too much. They are very laid back and would rather walk the beach, hit the shops and happy hr. They like to smell the roses I guess. I don`t blame them. Being a fanatic fan isn`t for everyone and everyplace. Sometimes it`s a good change of pace. My BIL has a boat in Dana Point ( in SD ) and let me tell you a day on the ocean, fishing,getting away from all the BS is worth more than words can describe. It`s a good life there. Sports isn`t their everything like in the mid west where that`s all they have.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've always thought the Chargers should move halfway between San Diego and LA then adopt the name SoCal Chargers. Keep their San Diego fans and adsorb the LA populace.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've always thought the Chargers should move halfway between San Diego and LA then adopt the name SoCal Chargers. Keep their San Diego fans and adsorb the LA populace.
That`s prob exact what would happen if they move to proposed Englewood stadium and share stadium with Raiders. Don`t know if many have seen the plans yet for the stadium, but it is an amazing concept. The only hold up to both those teams achieving that is Raider money and the Rams. Your right though. It would work Manster. Perfect locale. It still could happen but I think the odds are it going to be the "So. Cal Rams" :)

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PS. If the Raider/Charger deal actually came to be.......I sure would not want to be there when they played each other. Home team vs home team????/ Can you say "OH SHIT"! Every man for themselves! :)

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That`s prob exact what would happen if they move to proposed Englewood stadium and share stadium with Raiders. Don`t know if many have seen the plans yet for the stadium, but it is an amazing concept. The only hold up to both those teams achieving that is Raider money and the Rams. Your right though. It would work Manster. Perfect locale. It still could happen but I think the odds are it going to be the "So. Cal Rams" :)
Actually I think it's spelled Inglewood

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was born in Long Beach and then we moved to SD when I was 1. My Pops was in Navy and stationed there. We moved to Colo when I was 7 and thus began my Bronco yrs. I think some don`t really understand the SD culture too much. They are very laid back and would rather walk the beach, hit the shops and happy hr. They like to smell the roses I guess. I don`t blame them. Being a fanatic fan isn`t for everyone and everyplace. Sometimes it`s a good change of pace. My BIL has a boat in Dana Point ( in SD ) and let me tell you a day on the ocean, fishing,getting away from all the BS is worth more than words can describe. It`s a good life there. Sports isn`t their everything like in the mid west where that`s all they have.

I understand this about San Diego and Chargers fans. I'm also not willing to allow it to be used as an excuse given the level of cock-suckery many Chargers fans exhibited when the team was good. If it's a "laid back" community then it shouldn't be hard for fans to not be colossal douche rockets.

DownSetHutch

d-_-b
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well said, randymon. I totally agree. :thumb:

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,532.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just turned down a job in San Diego this week. I'm going to blame it on Denver fans.....

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just turned down a job in San Diego this week. I'm going to blame it on Denver fans.....

I honestly think my wife might actually kill somebody if it meant her getting a job in San Diego. She literally acted like she lost her plane ticket home when we went this past year and when I opened our computer in the hotel room found job openings in her field pulled up on the computer along with apartment listings.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, unless you`ve been there and had opportunity to relax and ck the city out, you just can`t appreciate what a paradise it really is. If we could afford it, we`ld be there in a flash. It certainly beats the 110 + weather ( suppossed to be 117 by thurs) were being consumed by here in Redding,CA. I would be right there with Cd`s wife ( kill somebody) if I could be there right now :)

DownSetHutch

d-_-b
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stop it, guys. San Diego sucks.

Nobody else needs to move here. It's terrible.

The temperature got up into the 80's recently. And another day it sprinkled.

The women are all ugly. And fat.

When you go to the beach, you end up getting sand all over the inside of your car, and then your house. Really nasty stuff, that sand.

Let's see...all the trees and greenery are such an eyesore. Who needs 'em?

The Zoo, Wild Animal Park, and Sea World are no fun. And you might get eaten by an orca if you go to Sea World. And the gorillas at the Zoo might throw poop at you.

Lots of bad stuff in San Diego. Just trying to save everyone from the mistake of moving here. You're welcome.

PSA over.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,532.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So now you are all saying I turned down the wrong job offer?
I like SD but I don't want to spend the money it costs to live there......