• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Do Cowboys use RB depth and trade for QB?

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is that what you believe? I mean honestly, do you believe that the Joneses didn't look at the RB stable and think they had to do something about it?
Something to do with it? Probably. The reason? God I hope they aren't that dumb. You use your #4 pick in the draft on someone for the next 10 years hopefully, not the next season...

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is that what you believe? I mean honestly, do you believe that the Joneses didn't look at the RB stable and think they had to do something about it?
Are we to believe DB, QB and DL wasn't in need of a upgrade?

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope. If they were drafting for need, they would have gone secondary for sure. They took Zeke because he was the highest rated player on their board, which is why nearly every 1st rounder they've picked the last several years is a Pro Bowler

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta love the "better than your team" argument. The Lions Oline was disgusting last year. The run game was disgusting. Hard for anyone to get yardage without holes. I don't believe the line will be much better this year. That's the reality. But the discussion has ZERO to do with the Detroit Lions, now does it?

I call McFadden a scrub because he's a GD scrub! He's an upright, tall runner. He's not tough between the tackles. He's not shifty. He's frail. But he's fast. His bread and butter is beating ends on the outside and turing on his straight line speed. One trick pony. That's what he was in college. That's what he's been in the NFL. It's what I told people he would be. It wasn't and isn't hard to see.

So he had a shitty line in OAK so that makes him a scrub. He has a good OL in Dallas, so that makes him a scrub.

He was the 4th most productive rusher in the NFL last year and did so in 10 weeks.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope. If they were drafting for need, they would have gone secondary for sure. They took Zeke because he was the highest rated player on their board, which is why nearly every 1st rounder they've picked the last several years is a Pro Bowler

Exactly. They took the best player available. They didn't reach, which is how teams get in trouble. Taking the 4th best player because you need a position is stupid. When you have a chance to get what you think is a franchise player you do it. You don't say "Well we just signed a guy and we have another for the next year so let's not take our #1 guy who is just sitting there". Unless you have a shitty FO.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. They took the best player available. They didn't reach, which is how teams get in trouble. Taking the 4th best player because you need a position is stupid. When you have a chance to get what you think is a franchise player you do it. You don't say "Well we just signed a guy and we have another for the next year so let's not take our #1 guy who is just sitting there". Unless you have a shitty FO.
Like we used to have:lol:

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just trade for Buttfumble. He will be fine beind a good O-line. Dak is the future anyway. Romo was just about done.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So he had a shitty line in OAK so that makes him a scrub. He has a good OL in Dallas, so that makes him a scrub.

He was the 4th most productive rusher in the NFL last year and did so in 10 weeks.

And that's why we have the talking point on Elliott. That they spend and draft so heavily to get that great line so they can get top tier production out of their run game without giving up a lot at the position. And with the elite RB's that are drafted in the top 5 are so risky and the short careers at the position, some thought the return on that pick was not worth it, when as you say you can get a journeyman back and make him a top 5 rusher.

In Oakland guys like Murray, Reece, Goodson and Jennings all outperformed McFadden as runners. I think that's why most people thought he was not playing well. If he's getting 3 yards a carry and the other backs are getting 3 yards a carry then you can say it's the line. It is harder to do that when he's getting 3 yards a carry and everyone else is getting 5 yards a carry.

He really was bad there the past 3 seasons. Of the 7 guys in Oakland from 2012-2014 with at least 20 carries (excluding QB's), only MJD who was used up was worse. Only Jeremy Stewart (who was an undrafted back and out of the league after 33 career carries) was within a full YPC of McFadden (Stewart had a half yard better YPC).

2012-2014 Raiders
McFadden 3.34 YPC
Rest of team 4.72 YPC

Would be 7th in YPC in that time without him, 23rd with him. And it's not like he gets the bad situational carries. Not like he's TJ Duckett where every carry is either "and 1" or "and goal". But while Oakland's line was ok at run blocking, Dallas has one of the best.