• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

devils close to bankrupt

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Crushed-by-their-debt-reports-say-Devils-are-ba;_ylt=Aqwx_w_fnFBT0YTmHPM8Ugd7vLYF?urn=nhl-wp16667

So let me ask is this because of kovalchuk contract? The refusal to price their product accordingly? Or have playing all those years of boring Hockey finally caught up to them?

TiLoBrown

Way too mad about Rep!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kovy. Thanks for asking.

MCDevils

NJ Devils: Sweden West
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Well it's funny since they brought in Kovy the on ice product tanked and so did attendance? Very interesting correlation.

It's funny, I've been saying all along that the Devils are financially in trouble and that's why we have an internal budget, and why we needed that 100m for parise and that the money probably wouldn't be there. Now Parise is one year away and we have this mess. There's going to be a zero % chance to sign him if we're in a bankrupt state next summer. JVB prob has no way to get a new investor in, which means we're in trouble.

Last edited by a moderator:

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
This team was in trouble long before he got here...and its kinda sad you add a talent like kovalchuk to a roster and it gets worse you say? What does that say about this team? Sorry but this team never adapted to life after the lockout. Contracts to mogilny malakov mcgillis rachunk white rolston peters constant coaching changes. Those hurt more then kovalchuk....I will say this sure Lou turned this team around in the early 90s but he is def one of the reasons for this mess. Not keeping core players playing hard ball with them not promoting the players being anti media.

Now let's get to the dead puck era. Team is insanely successful yet still draw like crap during this time....no one wonders why? Sorry but boring hockey doesn't sell. It might win games and cups but the devils are paying for that success now.

I'm as loyal a fan as possible but there is Noway in hell I would ever spend face value on a ticket. im going Tuesday night and got row 5 downstairs on Stubhub for $35 what's the face? $100? They are believe it or not the 4th fiddle in the hockey market behind rangers flyers and islanders yes even the islanders....price it accordingly!

TiLoBrown

Way too mad about Rep!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's not to believe that they're the 4th team in the pecking order? They were the last team to the area.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
People do believe that just because they have had the most success out of the local teams they aren't the 4th anymore. That can't be further from the truth

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not one thing, it's a mixture of a bunch of things. I will say they have priced fans out of the lower bowl. The upper deck is usually packed for games with the empty seats being the black, high priced seats. Not to mention there are a ton of people I know that have no interest in going to Newark for a game, it's a hassle to get to and pretty much impossible if you get word last minute. Poor marketing doesn't help their cause, and the Kovalchuk signing is just icing on the cake.

TiLoBrown

Way too mad about Rep!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you're a fan, you pass your fandom on to your kids. Doesn't matter how well we do, the other teams have been around longer, they're gonna have more fans. Fans root for their teams, win or lose.

kellmit

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I tend to agree with cup on this one... When the Devils first moved into Jersey there were quite a few fans that jumped onto our wagon but they have done a poor job of hyping this team and they played boring hockey ( they just kept hoping winning would bring people)

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
now before everyone jumps down my throat. I HAVE NO PROBLEM PLAYING DEFENSIVE HOCKEY but i do have a problem when you dont try to play and win the game after your up 2-0. many of nights this team going into the 3rd up a goal would just sit back sit back sit back clog up the ice and shut it down. so instead of trying to win the game trying for that 3rd goal the devils most nights would TRY NOT TO LOSE THE GAME. yeah that won games and thats great....its not great entertainment value and im sorry folks but thats what exactly this is ENTERTAINMENT. now dont get this wrong this doesnt mean i want 6-5 hockey games...i just want games that have flow that have scoring chances that has 1 team trying to actually win the game by putting the puck in the net instead of just trying to keep it out and slow the game down. TWO BIG DIFFERENCES DONT CONFUSE THEM.

like i said im going tuesday night its probably going to be a snoozefest...i blame some of that on the nhl with there being too many teams but also on the way the devils play the game (it has gotten better). im out $50 before i'm even in my car on the way to the game! keep in mind that $50 is HEAVY HEAVY discounted from stubhub. but say drinks/food/parking i'm sure im going to spend another $50? how do you justify that when i have a 60in led hd sitting in my living room? why should i go and spend that money to go to the game when i get just as much enjoyment in my livingroom?

problem is the devils dont go out of their way to make sure you WANT TO BE AT THE GAME. its a hard thing to do when there is so much competition but one good way is to make sure there is no need to surf a site like stubhub...nor should i be getting 10 emails a week by the team offering me $50 tickets for $35 with $10 in food. how bout just LOWERING THE PRICES to the lowest in the nhl? hows that for a start?

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You know what actually really killed the attendance bump that should have happened when we resigned Kovy, the NHL voiding the contract. I remember that there was like a 500% increase in inquiries about ST, and then all that went away when it was voided a couple days after the contract amount was leaked. To be honest, there's not really any way for them to lower tickets too much anyway. You can already get seasons on the end for $22/game. If people aren't willing to pay $800 for the season, do you really think they'll pay $600 or even $500? Parking can be expensive, but I always find room in the $15 lot and if you carpool you're going to be even cheaper than that.

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
bankruptcy hasn't ever hurt anyone..ask the Texas Rangers

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I still think they should go to the 8 and 4 division and conference system. If the Devils played the Flyers, Pens, and Rangers 12 times a year, that's already 25% of their games sold out at home.

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
bankruptcy hasn't ever hurt anyone..ask the Texas Rangers

Ask the Dallas Stars if they would have liked to keep Brad Richards, because we're facing the exact same situation with a younger and better player.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Maybe the $300 won't persuade a lot of people but who knows maybe it will....worst case its good pr for a change. have you gone and looked at the price points of the seating? It's about 12 colors! How can a rink have so many different price points? Devils want to make headlines 50% off all tickets....season tickets? 60% off....make the place family friendly heck even if its a family or ranger fans get them in for a week night game against the canes for 50% off. make it worth while to go to these games. don't make it like Ur doing them a favor by going.

TiLoBrown

Way too mad about Rep!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends, we may actually end up loosing more money if we go lower.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are we in any danger of having to move? If so, where do we go? Quebec? Back to Kansas City perhaps?

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Are we in any danger of having to move? If so, where do we go? Quebec? Back to Kansas City perhaps?

I don't think so because unlike other teams we and the arena are one entity.

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
They could do some more family packs, and I get that $120 is a lot of money for a family, but 4 tickets plus hotdogs and sodas for $30 each is a really good deal.

TiLoBrown

Way too mad about Rep!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, Betman did want us to move while we were winning our first cup, so I wouldn't put it past him.