• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Destroyer of Pantalones

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I agree that pantshitters are a drag to some extent I also think that all us fans have a little of that character inside each of us. I think that the difference is that we don't bailout on our team. I know that I have the tendency to be a fullfledged pantshitter. I remember when we lost that 12-11game to the Reds saying to myslef "if we don't reach the post season this will be the game I remember as a prime resaon". But I never bailed on the team. I was pissed off but didn't bailout. I actually don't understand how a fan can. I actually think that is what makes you a fan!

In true pantshitter fashion when Mr. Howard was up in the 9th I was fearing a 3 run homer on each and every pitch. I could almost taste that damn strikeout. I just didn't want him to hit the ball at all, anywhere.

That's what I don't understand about the other board. How can you bail on something that you have put such an emotional investment into? I can see being pissed off but to just give up on your team? Sort of like giving up on yourself to some extent. Just weird

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
+1. You are an intelligent person and a great Giants fan. I have no answers for your questions. These are things that I will never fully understand. I can't give up on the Giants/Niners/Warriors/Sharks. I wouldn't be able to live with myself. Niners are gonna finish 9-7, by the way. ;).

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just my take

I don't think as a fan, you have to sit there shitfaced and grin when our team is losing. F that.

But some of those guys on the troll board are ridiculous. Sometimes, the guys that know the least, talk the most. Maybe I hang out with too many casual fans, lol, but that's how many of these "fans" are. Frontrunners.

For me, you gotta know the team in order to criticize them and that's why i like coming here. You guys know your baseball and know the Giants.

A few years ago, I think most of us knew where the franchise wasn't contenders (90+ losses, etc) but we still followed, even occasionally.

Don't get me wrong, I was shitting big industrial-sized bricks this whole year..this team is nerve wracking to follow but I will never quit on my teams.

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
+1. You are an intelligent person and a great Giants fan. I have no answers for your questions. These are things that I will never fully understand. I can't give up on the Giants/Niners/Warriors/Sharks. I wouldn't be able to live with myself. Niners are gonna finish 9-7, by the way. ;).

Thank you!

I actually had the team 2-4 for the first six games, then going on a run once the softer part of the schedule hit.

I am close to being wrong but I still think this team is much better than its record..The only thing that pissed me off this weekend.

I still have em at 9-7, too and i'm serious :D

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't get me wrong, I was shitting big industrial-sized bricks this whole year..this team is nerve wracking to follow but I will never quit on my teams.

That's the key to it all. Damn, I've been a Giant fan for 57+ years now. I was at the 1954 WS. I was at the game Mays made 'The Catch'. Of course I remember nothing about the game nor the catch. I was 8 years old at the time. My father was a die-hard Giant fan and I was just starting on that same road. I do remember the Giants leaving NY. I was what,12! Didn't matter to me by then. They could have played in Alaska and I still would have been a Giant fan. I remember when they first moved to SF they would broadcast the games on one of the local radio stations. Hell I was listening to Giant games at 1am or until my parents caught me. Here I am 57 years later and still following them at 1am in the morning. Now I deal with a wife rather than my mother and father. Never bailed on them. The one big difference is that they are not followed at all in NY. No local bar to go talk baseball in. No close friends to compare notes with. This board gives me that opportunity .......... and BTW ..... I'd pay dues for the privilege of being part of this community!!!!!!!

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, it's the fans way to pantshit at somethings because it shows that you are a fan and you care about the team. What goes on at the troll board is different, sensical people can see that, but there is a time and place to pantshit, it makes winning even more rewarding.

I'll tell you one thing, I was doubting games 4 and 6 when they gave up leads and went down early, and against Atlanta (which felt like ages ago!) after the 2-run HR from Hinskie. But I never gave up, giving up is not part of fandom, but everybody pantshits.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A few years ago, I think most of us knew where the franchise wasn't contenders (90+ losses, etc) but we still followed, even occasionally.

Yeah remember Jose Castillo and Brain Bocock on your starting left side lol!

And Dave Roberts in LF!

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah remember Jose Castillo and Brain Bocock on your starting left side lol!

And Dave Roberts in LF!

bocock! .. that team was full of .200 hitters

I remember Kruk and Kuip trying to sell us that Jose Castillo had a chance to become what Juan Uribe is today..occasional power threat, lol

Benjie was a stud for those team tho

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
bocock! .. that team was full of .200 hitters

I remember Kruk and Kuip trying to sell us that Jose Castillo had a chance to become what Juan Uribe is today..occasional power threat, lol

Benjie was a stud for those team tho

I think that's why this is so much more rewarding now. We have come so far in so little time.

08' opening day lineup-

LF- Dave Roberts
1B- Rich Aurillia
RF- Randy Winn
C- Bengie Molina
CF- Aaron Rowand
2B- Ray Duhram
3B- Jose Castillo
SS- Brian Bocock
P- Zito

And our top prospects were Fred Lewis, Nate Schierholtz, Kevin Frandsen, Eugenio Velez, Dan Ortmiere, Travis Ishikawa and Jonathan Sanchez.

Tim Lincecum wasn't a rookie anymore, Cain had been around for awhile, Buster Posey wan't even in our orginization yet, Pablo Sandoval wasn't on many people's radar yet, MadBum was just beginning his first year and Wilson had just taken the saddle as closer.

Now, well, everybody knows where we are now.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the key to it all. Damn, I've been a Giant fan for 57+ years now. I was at the 1954 WS. I was at the game Mays made 'The Catch'. Of course I remember nothing about the game nor the catch. I was 8 years old at the time. My father was a die-hard Giant fan and I was just starting on that same road. I do remember the Giants leaving NY. I was what,12! Didn't matter to me by then. They could have played in Alaska and I still would have been a Giant fan. I remember when they first moved to SF they would broadcast the games on one of the local radio stations. Hell I was listening to Giant games at 1am or until my parents caught me. Here I am 57 years later and still following them at 1am in the morning. Now I deal with a wife rather than my mother and father. Never bailed on them. The one big difference is that they are not followed at all in NY. No local bar to go talk baseball in. No close friends to compare notes with. This board gives me that opportunity .......... and BTW ..... I'd pay dues for the privilege of being part of this community!!!!!!!

Good stuff SF11. I forgot it was you who was at the game where Mays caught the ball with his back to the plate. That's awesome. And I agree, it's fun talking with people who actually know about the Giants and who you can learn from. Especially down here in Fresno, nobody really cares until the playoffs and it's hard to find knowledgeable fans. You've been a very welcome addition. Really, every poster here is cool as far as I'm concerned.

Hopefully the Giants can find a way to get 4 more wins :D

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wow, that's pretty awesome. You've pretty much lived through Giants history except for like Christy Mathewson. I couldn't imagine how I would feel if the Giants moved away. Thank God that they returned for the 1993 season. Since you were there the last time they won the WS, I'm looking forward to you bringing some championship caliber good vibes to this team. I want this one bad.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah - when all is said and done I'm an old timer. I have NN by at least 11 years. Most of the Giants NY time is really my father's legacy. I remember pieces of it but nothing clear. I did see quite a few games at the old Polo Grounds because my father went to quite a few games. One of the coolest things I have is something my wife grabbed of Ebay. Somehow she found a 1956 TOPS baseball catalog for the NY Giants. Never saw anything like it. Has all the TOPS cards (pictures) with some story about each of the players. I grew up in the Mays, Mantle and the Duke era. I probably didn't appreciate it much simply because I was a kid. I most likely had the Mays and Mantle rookie cards and used them as 'sound effects' for my bike. For you youngsters, we used to put cards on the bike wheel frame (with clothespins) and let them hit the spokes. Made some pretty awesome sounds back then! Rookie cards back then were 'junk' items. Not having any real trading value. Little did I know that the Mantle rookie card would be worth a small fortune today.
And yeah - this year is very special so far - can't really put a finger on anything - but you almost sense destiny playing a part as the story continues to unfold. Just compare the 2010 starting line-up to who it taking the field on Wednesday night. It's like having a 2010.5 season just for us!

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just my take

I don't think as a fan, you have to sit there shitfaced and grin when our team is losing. F that.

But some of those guys on the troll board are ridiculous. Sometimes, the guys that know the least, talk the most. Maybe I hang out with too many casual fans, lol, but that's how many of these "fans" are. Frontrunners.

For me, you gotta know the team in order to criticize them and that's why i like coming here. You guys know your baseball and know the Giants.

That's just it, only a good team can cause anxiety. If they suck, it's easy to root for them.

Frankly I got no problem with how people root for a team if they are honest and have integrity. If you want to shade a little pessimistic to 'protect' yourself , that's your right. It's the way the panty-shitters do it that irks me. It's not 'man I am worried x might happen' or 'god I was nervous when Howard stepped in there' but 'this is exactly how they will fail' or 'there's no doubt the Giants will find a way to lose x' or whatever. No self knowledge. No humility. No class.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yeah - when all is said and done I'm an old timer. I have NN by at least 11 years. Most of the Giants NY time is really my father's legacy. I remember pieces of it but nothing clear. I did see quite a few games at the old Polo Grounds because my father went to quite a few games. One of the coolest things I have is something my wife grabbed of Ebay. Somehow she found a 1956 TOPS baseball catalog for the NY Giants. Never saw anything like it. Has all the TOPS cards (pictures) with some story about each of the players. I grew up in the Mays, Mantle and the Duke era. I probably didn't appreciate it much simply because I was a kid. I most likely had the Mays and Mantle rookie cards and used them as 'sound effects' for my bike. For you youngsters, we used to put cards on the bike wheel frame (with clothespins) and let them hit the spokes. Made some pretty awesome sounds back then! Rookie cards back then were 'junk' items. Not having any real trading value. Little did I know that the Mantle rookie card would be worth a small fortune today.
And yeah - this year is very special so far - can't really put a finger on anything - but you almost sense destiny playing a part as the story continues to unfold. Just compare the 2010 starting line-up to who it taking the field on Wednesday night. It's like having a 2010.5 season just for us!

Great stuff SF. Would have loved to have seen Mays, Mantle, and The Duke all playing in their primes, and all in the same city. That must have been special, and it gives you a perspective on today's players that none of us have. I mean to think of those guys playing defense like Torres (or better), while also being top sluggers is incredible. Golden age of the game, right there.

I tell you, this does feel a little bit like the 1981 49ers... but I don't want to jinx it.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Actually I think you are only 4 years older than Nolan. But 20 years more mature.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
My problem with the "pants-shitters" is not the pants-shitting. I almost totally ignored livin's pants-shitting, but nolan's was mostly just an act - trying to get into someones kitchen and provoke a response. And Tito, well you know the problem with that guy is not his pants-shitting, per se, but that he has a personality disorder.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My problem with the "pants-shitters" is not the pants-shitting. I almost totally ignored livin's pants-shitting, but nolan's was mostly just an act - trying to get into someones kitchen and provoke a response. And Tito, well you know the problem with that guy is not his pants-shitting, per se, but that he has a personality disorder.

With Nolan it's worse. He's actually a whiny pantsshitter AND he plays it up to piss everyone off. Again, if he just said 'man I was worried' or 'I'm a little worried about this game' he wouldn't be Nolan.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's just it, only a good team can cause anxiety. If they suck, it's easy to root for them.

Frankly I got no problem with how people root for a team if they are honest and have integrity. If you want to shade a little pessimistic to 'protect' yourself , that's your right. It's the way the panty-shitters do it that irks me. It's not 'man I am worried x might happen' or 'god I was nervous when Howard stepped in there' but 'this is exactly how they will fail' or 'there's no doubt the Giants will find a way to lose x' or whatever. No self knowledge. No humility. No class.

Exactly! Somewhere in the evolution of a pantshitter there is a dark path that leads to the 'anti-fan'. I think it's a rare path but it exists. Most fans worry about their teams. All pantshitters (class of fan) worry about their teams. The anti-fan is most happy when reliving the team's failures. The team's failures become the anti-fans rationale for their own individual anger and focus

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly! Somewhere in the evolution of a pantshitter there is a dark path that leads to the 'anti-fan'. I think it's a rare path but it exists. Most fans worry about their teams. All pantshitters (class of fan) worry about their teams. The anti-fan is most happy when reliving the team's failures. The team's failures become the anti-fans rationale for their own individual anger and focus

Holy shit. Are you Tito's shrink?

By the way, I love his current tack, which is how the Giants are all about making money (unlike the other 29 teams) and so will never spend money on players. Never mind the 8th (?) highest payroll in MLB.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
With Nolan it's worse. He's actually a whiny pantsshitter AND he plays it up to piss everyone off. Again, if he just said 'man I was worried' or 'I'm a little worried about this game' he wouldn't be Nolan.

The problem with Nolan is four fold: it's mostly just an act, the act is designed to provoke a response, he uses all manner of argumentative fallacies to "parry" any response, and even if you pwn him he'll ridicule you for taking the time to do it - because "he really doesn't care and he's 'surprised' at how much you do. Thanks for the laugh."

Bottom line: if you care about honest communication you can't engage this fool. He treats the online message board as a game, and the use of the ad hominem as a weapon to "parry" any thrust towards real communication, i.e. real information exchange.

Although I will say he's not a classic troll, i.e. in that has no interest in the underlying subject matter. I think when he's not exclusively trying to provoke, the real guy behind the "nolan" nic uses those techniques because he's insecure, and yet arrogant, in his knowledge of the game, i.e. he gets "caught" making a mistake and has to "defend" himself with these argumentative fallacies. And like I've said before - this is his MO going on a long time now.