• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Defining Rams Oline

jacobarch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rams offensive line prospects and starters

The St. Louis Rams have gone all-in on some young talent to fill large holes in what is arguably the weakest part of the current team, the offensive line. After the release of tackle Jake Long, center Scott Wells and turning down the option to sign Kendall Langford, the Rams cleared out the cookie jar and went for broke in this years rookie draft. Most recently, they also spent a fifth round pick in the supplemental draft on Isaiah Battle out of Clemson. Battle makes the fifth rookie offensive linemen added to the Rams roster this offseason.

Returning Starters:

Greg Robinson, LT

Robinson was the second overall selection in last years NFL draft, the first of two first round selections the Rams would make. Robinson was a beast in college playing for Auburn University. However, that success didn’t quite translate so smoothly to the NFL. Robinson came in with high expectations, but was not a week 1 starter. He would play in all 16 games, however, but would not become a regular starter until week 6 against San Francisco. The talent is certainly there but only time will tell if Robinson will be a productive mainstay with St. Louis.

Rodger Saffold, LG

Saffold has been with the Rams since 2010, but almost wasn’t on the current roster last year after a free agency snafu prior to the season. Saffold attempted to sign a big-time free agent deal with the Oakland Raiders in March of 2014, but due to a previous shoulder injury Saffold failed his physical. This caused the Raiders to get cold feet and explore other options. Saffold would return to the Rams on a similar deal and started all 16 regular season games last year. Saffold can play both the left and right side of the line, which makes him a versatile player to keep around. He is also now the most seasoned player on the line.

The Battle for Center:

We’ve separated this position out as one of the most important items St. Louis will need to address when training camp begins in a few weeks. The consensus is the position could go to one of three players currently on the roster. They are Tim Barnes, Barrett Jones and Demetrius Rhaney. The problem is, none of these players has any real NFL experience on their resume. Barnes can lay claim to having started four games in his career, but the experience comes to a screeching halt there. That alone makes Barnes the favorite to win the job, but Jones and Rhaney have their upside as well.

Jones is a smart player and has been noted as the most intelligent of the three. He knows the line and schemes better than Barnes and Rhaney. Rhaney missed his entire rookie season due to a knee injury, but has received praise for his athleticism. Head coach Jeff Fisher has been open about allowing the three to play it out in training camp and preseason. He is content on letting the best man win the job. All three players practiced with the first string group during OTAs.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,955.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure why Langford was mentioned but the oline is definitely going to make or break the team. I'm not so sure Battle is going to be a factor until 2016.

I think the Center position is up for grabs. Barnes has played well so far but Im not sure thats sustainable. Id like Jones to stay healthy but Im not sure thats realistic, either. My hunch is that Jones will be the starter by week 1.

Havenstein and Robinson are both the same age and I think there is risk with both of them in pass protection. Moving forwards they should be pretty solid by most accounts.

This looks like a team that is going to want to limit QB pass attempts under 20 a game.

zeke2829

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing is for sure, these guys are HUGE and should be able to run block. If we can get pass protection, we could be in for a surprise season. Last year the whole right side of our line stunk it up bad. Good news is they are all gone. Center position is probably our weakest link. I'm hoping that Barrett Jones will end up being the guy as we have a lot invested in him. He has been nothing but unhealthy. Time to shine! Agree that o-line will determine our success. Got to be able to move the chains and keep our high powered defense fresh! No more 3 and outs.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Compared to the other lineman we now have, Isaiah Battle is a little on the light side compared to many others we have. He is tall for sure but about 50lbs light at 280 if you believe the stats listed as true. Granted he may be a project and could probably add those 50lbs with development to match guys like Havenstein, Saffold, Robinson, and Brown. Donnal is a little on the light side but is North of 300 as is everyone else. I guess they'll play him at TE perhaps and get rid of Cook's salary for the next round of draft picks.

jacobarch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually retro I heard a report that he put on over 20 pounds so far this offseason. He could be a very good pick up if he proves to stay the straight and narrow.

Rambunctious

9er hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The O-Line will be one of the better lines the Rams have had of late. This team will be geared up to run run run. The Rams have some big dudes with fairly young legs. Hurry up season lets get rollin. :nod:

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was watching NFL Live this afternoon and the announcers were discussing who will make the play-offs-the five teams that are likely. I was surprised that both analysts chose at number five, the St Lois Rams. They discussed the new O-line and its enormity and smashmouth rep already without playing a down of football. The announcers were stating that the Rams are now built to run the football with a controlled passing game. Then they moved onto the D-Line and the Rams D. And everyone of the analysts were stating that the Rams D will be one of the top five D's this year. I was flabberghasted!

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These guys don't necessarily have to be good, they only have to be average, that alone would be a huge upgrade from what we have had! I think we should and will be a good oline, these are some big boys! I will accept them being average, and from there they will only get better!

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was watching NFL Live this afternoon and the announcers were discussing who will make the play-offs-the five teams that are likely. I was surprised that both analysts chose at number five, the St Lois Rams. They discussed the new O-line and its enormity and smashmouth rep already without playing a down of football. The announcers were stating that the Rams are now built to run the football with a controlled passing game. Then they moved onto the D-Line and the Rams D. And everyone of the analysts were stating that the Rams D will be one of the top five D's this year. I was flabberghasted!

I just hope I don't see throw, throw, throw out of the gate when this season kicks off. You have to have some balance, but if we start getting pass happy/ throw crazy... :gaah:

zeke2829

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just hope I don't see throw, throw, throw out of the gate when this season kicks off. You have to have some balance, but if we start getting pass happy/ throw crazy... :gaah:
got to remember Shotty's gone, maybe will see a new game plan/strategy each week. New OC's got to utilize the players skillset!

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
got to remember Shotty's gone, maybe will see a new game plan/strategy each week. New OC's got to utilize the players skillset!

It's friggin ingrained in my head. Pass pass pass. Dink dank dunk

Dank :doobs:

Red_Chaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
damn, i haven't been able to acess this site for like a week. Some of the pages freeze...