• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Defenseless Receiver

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was a little contact of the helmets but that still doesn't show the play.

Goldson didn't "spear" him. He tackled him. The penalty helmet-to-helmet hit was intended to prevent players from using their helmets as weapons to the other players heads.

Its a physiological problem defensive players have..having their heads extend farther than their shoulders.

Calling a good hit like that is bad football.

Yeah, but its against the patriots... Goldson could have led with his body and just had their facemasks collide and he still would have been called for "spearing" the "defenseless receiver". I seriously hate the rule and hate the flag on this play, but by the very letter of the rule that was a penalty cause their helmets touched first. I just see why they flagged it, his head was down and it hit Hernandez's helmet... Im pretty sure we all think it was cheap and Harbaugh had a great reaction to the penalty..

Harbaugh.png

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, but its against the patriots... Goldson could have led with his body and just had their facemasks collide and he still would have been called for "spearing" the "defenseless receiver". I seriously hate the rule and hate the flag on this play, but by the very letter of the rule that was a penalty cause their helmets touched first. I just see why they flagged it, his head was down and it hit Hernandez's helmet... Im pretty sure we all think it was cheap and Harbaugh had a great reaction to the penalty..

http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l613/threeyellowbirds/Football/Harbaugh.png[/IM][/QUOTE]

Yeah, I think we stand on the same side in this issue. It's just that I don't see how Goldson should change his approach on the play. He's placing the hit in the area of where the ball is because Aaron Hernandez is tall and jumped for the catch.

As others said, Goldson lit him up so hard that his helmet rattled lol and that happened to cause the flag

It was like the refs were ready to call anything on that play and figured out which penalty fit the best.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
They need to at least have both reviews on those calls.

Not anything that would delay the game but just have someone in the booth take a quick look of a replay to make sure it was the correct call.

In defense of the refs making that call in real time is tough especially when the NFL wants you to lean on throwing the flag even if you're unsure.

RGrabber

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My question is why can a running back lead with his head and not be called for a penalty?

Any ideas?

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
My question is why can a running back lead with his head and not be called for a penalty?

Any ideas?

Anyone can lead with the head and not be called for a penalty. Whitner led with his head when he forced the fumble. You are NOT allowed to lead with your head on a defenseless player, which is defined as the quarterback (unless he has taken off and become a runner) and anyone in the process of making the catch.

RBs don't get called because when they lead with their head, it's on a LB or S who is squared up to make a tackle. It's difficult to argue a player is defenseless when they're making a tackle.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone can lead with the head and not be called for a penalty. Whitner led with his head when he forced the fumble. You are NOT allowed to lead with your head on a defenseless player, which is defined as the quarterback (unless he has taken off and become a runner) and anyone in the process of making the catch.

RBs don't get called because when they lead with their head, it's on a LB or S who is squared up to make a tackle. It's difficult to argue a player is defenseless when they're making a tackle.

This is now being considered for change as well.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goldson.png

I dunno guys, seems to me that his head was down and it was the first thing to make contact with Hernandez helmet, thats against the rules in this pussy NFL. I hate the rule, and we've all seen Goldson get flagged for making clean hits too. I feel like we just have to take the penalties with Goldson putting fear into the other team's receivers.

Is there any way to spin that picture? If you look closely at the picture, you will be able to see the bottom of Hernandez's helmet. I watched that replay over and over,what I kept seeing was Goldson hit the shoulder.

It could be argued tat he led with his head.

I think the only way for them to clean up the penalties is to have paid, retired refs (like Mike Periera) in a replay booth reviewing the calls. It's just not right to have a bad call affect a game. The NFL season circulates tons of money and bad calls shouldn't be a part of the game.

I also din't like the pi call on Brown. The feet got tangled, not a foul.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They need to at least have both reviews on those calls.

Not anything that would delay the game but just have someone in the booth take a quick look of a replay to make sure it was the correct call.

In defense of the refs making that call in real time is tough especially when the NFL wants you to lean on throwing the flag even if you're unsure.

My bad, I just looked at the rest of the thread and seen you posted the same thing. Not trying to steal your thunder, just two great minds thinking alike.

:thumb:

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there any way to spin that picture? If you look closely at the picture, you will be able to see the bottom of Hernandez's helmet. I watched that replay over and over,what I kept seeing was Goldson hit the shoulder.

It could be argued tat he led with his head.

I think the only way for them to clean up the penalties is to have paid, retired refs (like Mike Periera) in a replay booth reviewing the calls. It's just not right to have a bad call affect a game. The NFL season circulates tons of money and bad calls shouldn't be a part of the game.

I also din't like the pi call on Brown. The feet got tangled, not a foul.

I don't think it matters where Goldson's helmet hits Hernandez - it matters whether or not the refs deemed Hernandez defenseless, and in this case they did - incorrectly IMO.