• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Defense

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I knew our defense was good in those spots, but didn't think we were anywhere close to being #1. It felt like we were more lucky in the Eagles game than anything. Vick didn't seem to run as much in the red zone for some reason.

Bowman and Willis make throwing over the middle really hard. Teams have been attacking the corners of the endzone. Now to think of it, have all 4 TD's been to the corner of the endzone? Romo had one. Vick had one. Can't remember the other two. Dalton might have had one to a tight end, but can't remember.

Cincy did not score a TD.

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I knew our defense was good in those spots, but didn't think we were anywhere close to being #1. It felt like we were more lucky in the Eagles game than anything. Vick didn't seem to run as much in the red zone for some reason.

Bowman and Willis make throwing over the middle really hard. Teams have been attacking the corners of the endzone. Now to think of it, have all 4 TD's been to the corner of the endzone? Romo had one. Vick had one. Can't remember the other two. Dalton might have had one to a tight end, but can't remember.

One was a shuttle pass by Vick to McCoy I believe

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'd really love to hear what the Eagles RB coach Ted Williams had to say to Ronnie Brown after he decided to try and throw the ball.

You know Ronnie Brown said after the game it was an HB option play? It was a bonehead, reckless play no matter what, but that would move it out of "holy sh*t that was one of the dumbest plays ever" territory.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Wow, how did I forget about the shuttle? Golden Tate's TD was a quick slant up the middle.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, how did I forget about the shuttle? Golden Tate's TD was a quick slant up the middle.

You mean the Challenger? Yea, that's a painful memory for many. If you mean the TD, it's shovel. ;)

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go Niners!!!!! (got lots of catching up to do in these threads LOL)

Defense wins championships!!!

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Go Niners!!!!! (got lots of catching up to do in these threads LOL)

Defense wins championships!!!

no doubt!

during the regular season passing is all the rage, but come play-offs.......defenses tighten up on offenses. of course you still need offense, but history has shown you need defense more.

won't argue the TREND is starting to change, but not enough change just yet.

its DIFFICULT to have both "top 10" so given a choice, i'll take better D than O. its difficult for these 49ers to have both sides solid, so fortunately the D side is good.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Defenses can carry offenses further vs offenses carrying defenses.... IMO

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Classically, yes. But I think recent trends are making that less true. You also have to differentiate defense good at all times or just getting hot enough when it counts.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Classically, yes. But I think recent trends are making that less true. You also have to differentiate defense good at all times or just getting hot enough when it counts.

yes, won't argue the trend is changing, but not so far that you now need offense more than defense. this may happen in say 3 years, who knows? again, we're referring to winning SB's, not just winning a single game.

if you had to guess, which side has more chance of getting 'hot'...offense or defense?

i'd prefer a solid defense to start and not hoping it gets hot. cause a good D will keep you in a game right off. compare to a solid offense hoping your D gets hot, hoping it can stop the opponent? you have no control over what the opponent is doing to your D.

its nice to think your solid offense will simply outscore the opponentS, but history shows it ain't easy.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

agree.

don't want to exaggerate but IMO still true now. we can see a glimpse of it in these current 49ers, granted its not the play-offs.

BallsOfFury

Next man up
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
agree.

don't want to exaggerate but IMO still true now. we can see a glimpse of it in these current 49ers, granted its not the play-offs.

I for one hope we find out how that works out in the playoffs.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey how many times we've seen stellar offenses getting romped but a superior or a high class defense?

The only thing where I would say offense is needed as much if not more is basketball.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes, won't argue the trend is changing, but not so far that you now need offense more than defense. this may happen in say 3 years, who knows? again, we're referring to winning SB's, not just winning a single game.

if you had to guess, which side has more chance of getting 'hot'...offense or defense?

i'd prefer a solid defense to start and not hoping it gets hot. cause a good D will keep you in a game right off. compare to a solid offense hoping your D gets hot, hoping it can stop the opponent? you have no control over what the opponent is doing to your D.

its nice to think your solid offense will simply outscore the opponentS, but history shows it ain't easy.

I haven't looked up stats or anything, but the Cards and Packers are what come to mind. I think they both had middling defenses but had offenses get hot in the playoffs. One made it to the SB, the other got the ring. Maybe I'm wrong, though, and maybe their D's were better. I'm being lazy and not doing the research tonight.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I haven't looked up stats or anything, but the Cards and Packers are what come to mind. I think they both had middling defenses but had offenses get hot in the playoffs. One made it to the SB, the other got the ring. Maybe I'm wrong, though, and maybe their D's were better. I'm being lazy and not doing the research tonight.

yes, Arizona's D may have been middling and got 'hot'? i recall they got like three turnovers a game in their march to the SB? but the question is, is this the exception or the rule?

anyways, if Arizona indicates the trend, not going to argue. there IS a trend going on just we each have an opinion of how far its gone?

last year Green Bay's D WAS good, not middling.