• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Defense this year?

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
With the Dorsey injury (torn biceps), Ian Williams still out, and Bowman out until midseason, could we see a lot of 4-3 base early in the season with Tank, Dial, Ray Mac and Cowboy on the DL and Aldon, Willis and Brooks at LB?

Then on passing downs Cowboy and Tank kick inside, Aldon and Brooks go DE and And Ward and Cox enter in the secondary (or Ward and Wilhoite for nickel).

NinersFan80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The defense is going to be very sub par the first quarter or half of the season.. Unless some of these young guys we drafted last year and this year step up a lot

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Gotta wait and see what happens with Aldon. We might need to get even more creative with defensive alignments if he's out for a few games. It's gonna be that much more important for our offense to click.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Next man in…. Dial will come in and help the D. Man we get hit with big injuries every year.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The defense is going to be very sub par the first quarter or half of the season.. Unless some of these young guys we drafted last year and this year step up a lot

"Very subpar?" We haven't ranked in the bottom half of the league in points allowed since 2007 and in yards since 2008.

We've been hearing and talking about al the depth we have throughout the offseason. Is it all bullshit?

shouldakepowens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aldon, Tank, Justin, Lemonier
Willis, Brooks?
Is wilhoite better than Brooks in coverage?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Next man in…. Dial will come in and help the D. Man we get hit with big injuries every year.

For the past few years, we've been one of the healthiest teams in the league. Every team takes some hits due to injury. We've been pretty lucky lately.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
With the Dorsey injury (torn biceps), Ian Williams still out, and Bowman out until midseason, could we see a lot of 4-3 base early in the season with Tank, Dial, Ray Mac and Cowboy on the DL and Aldon, Willis and Brooks at LB?

Then on passing downs Cowboy and Tank kick inside, Aldon and Brooks go DE and And Ward and Cox enter in the secondary (or Ward and Wilhoite for nickel).

I can't see much of that particular 4-3 alignment. They'd be great against the run, but with Brooks and Aldon both playing 4-3 OLB we'd be limited in terms of rushing the passer and covering. I can definitely see more 4-3, and more 4-2-5 this year, but if we go 4-3 I've got to think Aldon plays RDE. I'd think something like the following is the most likely standard 4-3 (and yes, I'm fudging by listing two players at a couple spots:

McDonad/Tank Dial/McDonald J. Smith A. Smith

Brooks (SLB) Wilhoite/Borland Willis (WLB)

I don't love pulling Willis out of the middle, but he's by far our best fit at WLB unless Moody really shows up over the remainder of preseason

NinersFan80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Very subpar?" We haven't ranked in the bottom half of the league in points allowed since 2007 and in yards since 2008.

We've been hearing and talking about al the depth we have throughout the offseason. Is it all bullshit?

Yes, 1st 4 games of the season we will probably be without Aldon, Bowman, and Dorsey. Then we have some unproven talent at the corners and an older Justin Smith. We have no idea what we have from the linemen we drafted this year and the defensive guys we drafted this year.. It isn't going to be the 49ers defense we are use to the past 3 years.

We will be very average defense. Not bad but not great like the last 3 years

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yes, 1st 4 games of the season we will probably be without Aldon, Bowman, and Dorsey. Then we have some unproven talent at the corners and an older Justin Smith. We have no idea what we have from the linemen we drafted this year and the defensive guys we drafted this year.. It isn't going to be the 49ers defense we are use to the past 3 years.

We will be very average defense. Not bad but not great like the last 3 years

"Very average" is considerably different than "very subpar."

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Reminds me of an old ESPN thread where someone mentioned "subpar" as meaning good since in golf the goal ideally is to subtract from your round numbers.

As far as the defense, we're going to be worse statistically, but talent wise I still see us as the same or better than last year. Aldon Smith is in the best shape of his life, Justin Smith was playing with torn triceps... TRICEPS! Brock and Reid are now 2nd year starters. While I think Ward would be a better option than Bethea as a safety, he's going to be an upgrade to our nickel position for now.

The offenses are getting a whole lot better within the conference. Each team has a ground and air game now(assuming Quick and Britt are upgrades from last year). Ultimately it's going to be a season of attrition and the 49ers are quipped with the deepest roster.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I actually think we'll be unexpectedly good on defense this season.

I'm not suggesting 2011 all over again but I'm not as down on the defense as much as a lot of people seem to be.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Yeah, I think there'll be quite a bit of 4-3 this year. The Niners essentially run a lot of 4-3 already.

Luckily I don't think Ian Williams is out for the season, so we may see him back soon-ish.

RedneckNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't forget Aldon has meeting with Der Fuhrer August 8th and rumors say he faces a big suspension... Shame he pulled a gun and not just beat a woman... He'll probably get 5 games... Now if he had killed the person, hid the body in a trunk and played dumb...

GoreRush

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't forget Aldon has meeting with Der Fuhrer August 8th and rumors say he faces a big suspension... Shame he pulled a gun and not just beat a woman... He'll probably get 5 games... Now if he had killed the person, hid the body in a trunk and played dumb...

Hopefully not. With Bowman out for the start of the season, I'd really hope to have Aldon available to play. The Fuher went light on Rice, that may actually help. Everyone is comparing his fines, so if he levels a big suspension on Aldon, that may bring more flak. Anyway that's what I'm hoping, because the 49ers need Aldon to be on the field with Bowman out.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they should just fine aldon, he already missed games last year to clean himself up.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 506.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully not. With Bowman out for the start of the season, I'd really hope to have Aldon available to play. The Fuher went light on Rice, that may actually help. Everyone is comparing his fines, so if he levels a big suspension on Aldon, that may bring more flak. Anyway that's what I'm hoping, because the 49ers need Aldon to be on the field with Bowman out.

RG took a lot of heat and still does on his lame punishment of RR. I would say Aldon's timing for his punishment is not at all good.

Gold Rush 86

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,413.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see our D being average at all. Maybe we wont be a top 3 D with Bowman, Dorsey and Aldon prolly suspended. But I still see us being top 10 in every defensive category.