• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Defense is elite

TKO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Failure is a silly debate when they have gotten more out of their drafts than anyone else.

I'll take that to mean you won't answer because you think they've had more failed top 100 picks since 2005 than any other team. I'm sure some teams have had only seven 2nd round selections in the seven years between 2006-2012 while the Pats have had seven failed 2nd rounders in that same period. I could even make a case that Tavon WIlson and Vereen have been virtual failures as well to potentially bring the count to nine failed 2nd round picks in those seven years. These are failed top 64 picks...

I find it amazing that you or anyone can say the Pats have had more success in the draft than any other team because it's laughable.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Name a team with more contribution from their picks. You can't. The best you have is Seattle over a 3 year span, and no one else can even make a serious discussion. The patriots draft better than bare minimum 25 teams, and that's just assuming you missed a bunch. You've only shown one who can be made into an argument and it's close.

TKO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Name a team with more contribution from their picks. You can't. The best you have is Seattle over a 3 year span, and no one else can even make a serious discussion. The patriots draft better than bare minimum 25 teams, and that's just assuming you missed a bunch. You've only shown one who can be made into an argument and it's close.

LOL! What contributions are they getting from the seven failures? You think the successes are somehow a feather in their cap when the odds are that even you could throw a dart at the draft and have as much success.

Their 2nd round success since 2006 include Vollmer, Spikes and Gronkowski.

THAT'S IT...THREE hits and arguably NINE failures.

Like I said, your argument is laughable.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look at the body of work. Name a team with more starters they drafted/signed as UDFAs who is a legitimate contender this year.

TKO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look at the body of work. Name a team with more starters they drafted/signed as UDFAs who is a legitimate contender this year.

My, we seem to have dropped the argument about the nine failed 2nd rounders for some reason.

I know of at least one UDFA that will start this week for them because they haven't drafted a legit backup for Wilfork sine 2005. Does that count in your total??? Just because a player starts doesn't mean he's a great find.

I'll say this without hesitation...Belichick is a great Xs and Os man but his drafting leaves much to be desired.

Last edited by a moderator:

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because it is irrelevant. Belichick is a top two or three drafter in the league and the production he has had consistently with the number of his own picks that play and play big roles dominates most teams in the NFL.

TKO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because it is irrelevant. Belichick is a top two or three drafter in the league and the production he has had consistently with the number of his own picks that play and play big roles dominates most teams in the NFL.

Three successes with nine second round picks since 2005 is relevant information. What is it relevant to? The fact that the Pats team is not as good as it should be, which is my point.

Point made...end of story.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The patriots have drafted better than almost any other team. It doesn't matter if they missed some when every team in the league misses. They have more hits than anyone else. Literally nothing else matters.

TKO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The patriots have drafted better than almost any other team. It doesn't matter if they missed some when every team in the league misses. They have more hits than anyone else. Literally nothing else matters.

Fans like you can be happy Belichick has put together a team that was three points better than a Jets team led by a rookie QB. They're the type that overestimates the value of the players on the home team. I think the term is homer.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How am I a homer for admitting that we have the best coach/GM in the NFL? That's not an opinion limited just to me. It's prevalent among all NFL fans and very few don't give Belichick the credit he deserves.

No one is better. Few can even be compared.

TKO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How am I a homer for admitting that we have the best coach/GM in the NFL? That's not an opinion limited just to me. It's prevalent among all NFL fans and very few don't give Belichick the credit he deserves.

No one is better. Few can even be compared.

You sound like you're doing a Dos Equis commercial. How do you think he'd do without Brady all these years?

He's a top Xs and Os man but has made his share of blunders acquiring players through the draft and through free agency, plus his genius disregard for a league memo cost the Pats a first round draft choice. He's not the most interesting man in the world IMO. Stay thirsty my friend.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is not a GM in the league who is perfect either in trades, free agency, or the draft. Why can't you get that through your head?

Drawmeomg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You sound like you're doing a Dos Equis commercial. How do you think he'd do without Brady all these years?

He's a top Xs and Os man but has made his share of blunders acquiring players through the draft and through free agency, plus his genius disregard for a league memo cost the Pats a first round draft choice. He's not the most interesting man in the world IMO. Stay thirsty my friend.

11-5 in 2008...

Brady's amazing, Belichick's amazing. To win 3 Super Bowls and appear in two more, appearing in more than half of all AFCCGs since they paired up and winning just under half of them over a 12 year span takes an amazing QB, an amazing coach and an amazing front office.

But of course, anything that isn't harshly critical of them is homerism as far as you're concerned, so I'm not sure why I'm bothering...

Checkmate

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is hilarious.

briz almighty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i agree with krafty the pats drafts could have been much better. the amount of 2nd, 3rd. 4th round players that have been drafted and are not on the team anymore is just staggering. if we hit on those you could legitamitly be talking about 5 or 6 sb rings right now, fact is we been close but not up to par. ozzie newsome for baltimore would have gotten us to that level no doubt in my mind. his drafts are great the only thing is hes got a scrub for qb holding them back.

you arent gunna hit on every pick and shouldnt expect to but some of bb's drafts and picks are very fustrating. he rarely takes players that fall, trades back waaaay to much instead of trading up and getting studs. he hasnt done horrible though hes picked alot of good players but could it be better, absolutly.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i agree with krafty the pats drafts could have been much better. the amount of 2nd, 3rd. 4th round players that have been drafted and are not on the team anymore is just staggering. if we hit on those you could legitamitly be talking about 5 or 6 sb rings right now, fact is we been close but not up to par. ozzie newsome for baltimore would have gotten us to that level no doubt in my mind. his drafts are great the only thing is hes got a scrub for qb holding them back.

you arent gunna hit on every pick and shouldnt expect to but some of bb's drafts and picks are very fustrating. he rarely takes players that fall, trades back waaaay to much instead of trading up and getting studs. he hasnt done horrible though hes picked alot of good players but could it be better, absolutly.

Same challenge to you then. Name more than one team that has got more contributions from their draft picks/UDFA than New England. You can even cherry pick the period like he did.

briz almighty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
11-5 in 2008...

Brady's amazing, Belichick's amazing. To win 3 Super Bowls and appear in two more, appearing in more than half of all AFCCGs since they paired up and winning just under half of them over a 12 year span takes an amazing QB, an amazing coach and an amazing front office.

But of course, anything that isn't harshly critical of them is homerism as far as you're concerned, so I'm not sure why I'm bothering...
you could probably play ryan leaf on the pats stacked with moss and welker on offense with the weakest schedule the pats had in 40 years and get similar results. cassel was a huge dissapointment that year, we went from 16-0 to missing the playoffs. every game we won that year was against scrub teams, we lost to every good team we played.

briz almighty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same challenge to you then. Name more than one team that has got more contributions from their draft picks/UDFA than New England. You can even cherry pick the period like he did.
i dont follow every other teams drafts infact i stopped doing round 1 and 2 mock drafts with every teams pick long time ago because i simply dont know every team in the league and what they need or dont need. no desire to figure it out either. i know the pats and what they need in detail so i only focus on pats draft mocks. few other teams i do play attention to, like baltimore because im a fan of ozzie newsome and think hes one of if not the best drafter in the league. he even traded up for the pats 21 pick and stole my binky oher from right under our feet. dude is a stud gm. id rather have him as the pats gm than bb for sure, but wouldnt want anyone other than bb for coach.

pats drafts have had many misses i dont understand how you cannot admit that. bb has not been aggressive in drafts, he trades back more than he should. he takes alot of his binkies a round or two too early and most of them dont end up being studs either. i think he has messed up big time on the offensive side with the exception of te and oline. defensively i give him credit for making the right switch to a 4-3 and getting man corners, but it took a hell of a long time for it to happen.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually compare our draft success to baltimore's. See if you like what you see.

Any one can choose one pick to reflect positively or negatively on a team's drafting ability, but when you look at the body of work few can be legitimately compared. The ones who can be don't stack up as favorably as you think.

Also, complain it took a long time, but you have much less ammo to draft with when you average 11-12 wins a year.

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hernandez wasn't a bust.

Yes he was, let's call it an off-the-field bust. He cost a lot of money and was a waste of time. In the end he produced nothing but false expectations and embarrassment to the team.