• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Deadline to use the franchise tag tommorow?

optimist4720

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Teams want to see if Terron Armstead can play tight end

Posted by Darin Gantt on February 28, 2013, 2:19 PM EST

AP
Terron Armstead drew a lot of attention when he ran an unofficial 4.65 -second 40-yard dash at the NFL Scouting Combine.

But even after that was adjusted down to an “official” 4.71, the speed of the 306-pound offensive tackle from Arkansas Pine-Bluff is making some teams wonder if he can do more.

According to Gil Brandt of NFL.com, teams have asked Armstead to work out as a tight end at his Pro Day workout.

The idea of a man his size who can run faster than many of the linebackers who would cover him (such as slow and undersized Manti Te’o) gets the gears turning in the minds of offensive coordinators.

More likely, he’ll either get moved inside to guard, or simply be a really athletic tackle. While he’s still a small-school project, he’s at least gotten himself noticed, making whatever he spent on combine prep well worth it for his agent.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
According to Gil Brandt of NFL.com, teams have asked Armstead to work out as a tight end at his Pro Day workout.

HA! VINDICATION! :)

Thanks for posting that optimist.

Well, if he impresses scouts in his TE drills, I would now have my 3rd favourite TE prospect in the draft.

Maybe 2nd favourite. The running game would get even better than it already is! The Niners will have great success if they JUST remember they're a run-first team.

Last edited by a moderator:

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I'd like to re-visit this backup TE topic...

The #2 TE is practically a starter in the Niners' offense. Walker played in something like 60% of the snaps last year. However, it's not a typical TE position.

The Niners use OL as blocking TEs more than most teams, but I'd like to use some OL who can move well so that they can surprise a team by catching a pass every once in a while (to keep the defense honest). Leonard Davis was the guy last year, but I like Jason Smith from the Jets & Armstead in the draft. Even Dobbs played TE for the team last year...

Basically, the Niners need to look for the best athlete they can find to be the swiss army knife. He doesn't have to be a great typical TE; he needs to be able to to the following in order of importance:

1. Move to a spot and run block in space
2. Run-block on right off the snap on the LOS
3. Pass-block
4. Be able to catch a pass every once in a while

The TE is going to be a combination of an OL, FB & WR. It's a weird mix, so they need to just find the smartest, most athletic & coordinated guy to do that. And I think there are a lot of options people haven't considered, even in the later rounds of the draft. And if a guy is #2 or 3 on the depth chart but is a great athlete, why not let 'em try playing the backup TE position?

I'm thinking about guys like Jason Smith, Mark Harrison (Rutgers), Armstead, Devin Taylor, Cornelius Washington, even Margus Hunt if he slides (which isn't out of the question; he's about as raw as an antelope still running away from a predator).