• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

DE Jadeveon Clowney?

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone is assuming that all this recent opening up of cap space is to sign Carson to a monster deal early ... and that may still be true, but I am staring to hear some whispers that the Birds have interest in possibly trading for Clowney. I know the Eagles love investing on their DL as much as anyone out there ... Clowney may not have yet reached the insane potential placed on him when he first came into the league, but he's still a really good young Defensive End. The Texans and Clowney are nowhere near close in price; the price in trade would likely be a 2nd (and maybe a throw in pick somewhere on top of it) ... what would you guys think?

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As long as the Eagles get the chance to talk with Clowney, and determine that he is not a character risk (including his motor), then Yes!Q I'd even give up pick #25, as he is young, and can be as good a pass rusher as there is in the NFL. I want to make certain that his head is on straight. It is true, that they made him out to be the best PR of all time, based on his hit on the Michigan RB years ago. I just want to make sure that he would fit in. Good read Rey! If we could get him for a 2nd - it's a no brainer!

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd rather draft a DL that'll be cheaper longer, but it would be nice to drop a guy like Clowney right into this defense.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My only gripe is cost/cap. You can't beat getting Clowney for a 2 (and whatever) though. I think he would be a great fit. If Howie can do it and lock him into something that doesn't mortgage the future than absolutely pull that trade.

I don't believe we could get him signed longer term at anything near where we would want it (challenge the Texans are having right now)....so that likely kills it. Don't spend a second just to get him at $15M+ only to let him go right away.

Northern Eagle

Hangin' With The Homeboys
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too big a risk... Clowney is going to want $20M + or close to it. The DL depth in this draft is too good to pass up, we must take advantage of it and get a couple of guys we can build with long-term and develop as Eagles.

Did anyone see what Russell Wilson got paid today? Brace yourselves for what may be coming if Wentz balls out this year.

It's also possible that all the cap clearance could be for Wentz, if he gets off to a good start they may try to sign him at some point this year before he gets more expensive.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too big a risk... Clowney is going to want $20M + or close to it. The DL depth in this draft is too good to pass up, we must take advantage of it and get a couple of guys we can build with long-term and develop as Eagles.

Did anyone see what Russell Wilson got paid today? Brace yourselves for what may be coming if Wentz balls out this year.

It's also possible that all the cap clearance could be for Wentz, if he gets off to a good start they may try to sign him at some point this year before he gets more expensive.

Great point on signing Wentz this year. On one hand there is the injury debate (back taking longer than expected to heal is already coming up). But the longer this drags out the more the bar will be raised on QB extensions.

I seriously don’t envy Howie on the thin line he has to walk on this.

With a chance they sign him this year I just don’t see the carved cap space going to a Clowney. Sure, he could be good for a year and get us a comp pick next year. But even if we do wait until next league year to sign Wentz they will keep making space and pushing as much forward as they can.