• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

David Boren to chair Big 12 Board

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His official first statement:

"Please let us in PAC-12. I know you want nothing to do with the University of Oklahoma by itself, but I will do everything in my power to make Texas want to quit the Big 12.....and then maybe you might take us as package deal. Screw the other Big 12 schools, OU deserves to be in the PAC-12."

I think he then created a homemade PAC-14 logo and silkscreened a t-shirt to wear at the press conference.

#bestinterestofbig12schools??

Kansas might fit in there somewhere too. #hoops

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah but nobody cares about Mizzou, they begged to get into the big ten and had to settle for the SEC.

I either forgot or didn't know Pinkel retired. Quick, before googling, name MIZZWHO's new coach in 2 seconds? You can't, you know why, b/c nobody gives two fucks about MIZZWHO.....

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

"Please let us in PAC-12. I know you want nothing to do with the University of Oklahoma by itself, but I will do everything in my power to make Texas want to quit the Big 12.....and then maybe you might take us as package deal. Screw the other Big 12 schools, OU deserves to be in the PAC-12."

I think he then created a homemade PAC-14 logo and silkscreened a t-shirt to wear at the press conference.

This is why I said to dissolve the conference. The other conferences only want Texas and OU anyway. They've already got enough slackers similar to the remaining Big 12 teams. The others members of the Big 12 aren't any good at anything (even though some of 'em have beaten OU and Texas in the major sports the past few year) and don't bring a national following.

Truth be told, some of the big dogs in other conferences would really like to prune their members that are similar to Okie Lite, Iowa State, TCU, Baylor, Texas Tech, K-State, etal. They just won't admit it use the they are "founding members" or "they help with other sports" rationale when the real reason is they serve as whipping boys for the big dogs.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is why I said to dissolve the conference. The other conferences only want Texas and OU anyway. They've already got enough slackers similar to the remaining Big 12 teams. The others members of the Big 12 aren't any good at anything (even though some of 'em have beaten OU and Texas in the major sports the past few year) and don't bring a national following.

Truth be told, some of the big dogs in other conferences would really like to prune their members that are similar to Okie Lite, Iowa State, TCU, Baylor, Texas Tech, K-State, etal. They just won't admit it use the they are "founding members" or "they help with other sports" rationale when the real reason is they serve as whipping boys for the big dogs.

It'd be sad for this state if we only had 2 P5 teams.

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This would be side-splittingly HILARIOUS if it was funny in any way shape or form to begin with.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's a news tidbit that came out a couple of hours ago. Is anybody still unclear on why OU is screwed financially and needs to do something to improve its income and academic status? Jeez. :tsk:

After listening to the presidents, the regents approved revised budgets for Oklahoma's 25 public colleges and universities to reflect the 9.5 percent cut in revenue from the original allocations approved in May.

The cuts (system wide) this year have been $112 million. The projections could be more than that for next year.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's a news tidbit that came out a couple of hours ago. Is anybody still unclear on why OU is screwed financially and needs to do something to improve its income and academic status? Jeez. :tsk:

After listening to the presidents, the regents approved revised budgets for Oklahoma's 25 public colleges and universities to reflect the 9.5 percent cut in revenue from the original allocations approved in May.

The cuts (system wide) this year have been $112 million. The projections could be more than that for next year.

Goldbug, isn't this more of a reflection on the oil and gas industry taking a plunge? I mean, eventually that will work itself out and things should get back to normal. I highly doubt a new conference will make a difference if this is more of an economic issue, don't you think?

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goldbug, isn't this more of a reflection on the oil and gas industry taking a plunge? I mean, eventually that will work itself out and things should get back to normal. I highly doubt a new conference will make a difference if this is more of an economic issue, don't you think?

The energy crash plays a part but the funding trend was down, down, down even in the good times. The Oklahoma state legislature is a shining example of trailer trash and redneck attitudes toward higher education combining to create the perfect storm. They figure why the hell fork over good money on educating a bunch of kids that can go borrow the money with student loans if they really want to get a degree. And Lord knows Oklahoma needs to keep plowing millions into its retirement funds to take care of...........those same politicians and their employees. OU's at the mercy of a state that doesn't have a lot of extra money even in the good times and we have bad leadership ALL the time. Now if UT would just give us some of your wealth we wouldn't be having all these problems. Would ya help a brother?

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The energy crash plays a part but the funding trend was down, down, down even in the good times. The Oklahoma state legislature is a shining example of trailer trash and redneck attitudes toward higher education combining to create the perfect storm. They figure why the hell fork over good money on educating a bunch of kids that can go borrow the money with student loans if they really want to get a degree. And Lord knows Oklahoma needs to keep plowing millions into its retirement funds to take care of...........those same politicians and their employees. OU's at the mercy of a state that doesn't have a lot of extra money even in the good times and we have bad leadership ALL the time. Now if UT would just give us some of your wealth we wouldn't be having all these problems. Would ya help a brother?

You definitely know more than I do when it comes to the OK state legislature. Damn, sounds to familiar as to what Louisiana is going through with all of their problems and idiots who hold office.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It'd be sad for this state if we only had 2 P5 teams.
Yep. But Tech, Baylor and TCU aren't valued as far as TV demand goes. That is all that matters anymore...not if you are any good or not.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Oklahoma state legislature is a shining example of trailer trash and redneck attitudes toward higher education combining to create the perfect storm. They figure why the hell fork over good money on educating a bunch of kids that can go borrow the money with student loans if they really want to get a degree.
Welcome to the club. This is exactly what the Texas Lege did in 2003. Basically said screw you guys. We ain't funding higher ed. Let the parents fork it out or let the kids get loans out the ass. I experienced it first hand. My youngest was at Texas State in 2003. Every semester tuition went up 30-40%. Don't know how long it continued that way because she was finished by 2005. By the time she graduated, her cost for education was as high as my oldest daughters was at a private university.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This would be side-splittingly HILARIOUS if it was funny in any way shape or form to begin with

Never intended to be funny. It is a dead serious sobering reality for the other 8 teams.

TCU, Baylor, TTU, K-state, ISU, and OSU are terrified now.
Putting Boren in charge is one step closer to ending their relevancy and 2nd class status.

KU/WVU are probably a bit uneasy as well.
They are not quite as vunerable, but they cannot be sure.

For once, Texas can sit back and enjoy the spectacle of another school taking all the heat.
Texas comes out a big winner no matter how it unfolds.

So have at it Boren.....
We don't really care what OU does in this case. We can make fun of OU with zero downside for Texas.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You definitely know more than I do when it comes to the OK state legislature. Damn, sounds to familiar as to what Louisiana is going through with all of their problems and idiots who hold office.

Exes, it's a big scam. The politicians don't fund the universities properly, that leads to huge cost increases for attending school that the student/student's parents have to swallow and the greed heads keep getting to make more and more student loans that are government guaranteed. I have absolutely no sympathy with any student that has to borrow some money to attend college. I did and I paid it all back over 10 years at 7% interest even when it wasn't easy and I had rather been investing it in loose women and sports bar tabs. I had the equivalent of $23,000 of student loans in today's money and it was worth every cent. But asking these kids to fork over more than that amount in today's dollars plus they can't find a decent job in this shitty economy that the Obama administration keeps bragging about and I can see how damaging it is for everyone.........even the taxpayers who will get stuck with the tab when some genius decides "fuck it; let's forgive all the student loans because I need more votes".

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
money crunch will hit everybody eventually...yes, yes some networks (fox, etc) are still throwing huge sums of money around, but eventually-dont know win-it has to slow down.

Or I dont know, maybe it will just morph into something else, and keep on chuggin along. I dont know.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know where this thread is going now, most states are doing cutbacks on education.

But I do know that Athletic Departments Growth at most of the major Universities is gangbusters.

The amount of student athletes they have, has not really changed. So the supply of what needs to be administered seems to be pretty fixed. But the personnel now involved in over-seeing has grown and the salaries are ridiculous.

2016 268 Big Ten Shawn Eichorst is the AD
2009 157 Big 12 Tom Osborne is the AD

Methodology: I counted up the names in the Athletic Department Directory. Some names appear multiple times, so the count is NOT accurate for bodies, but it is accurate for job titles.

BTW, my favorite name is Shot Kleen.

Shot Kleen

1982 Nebraska had 25,075 Students (old record)
2015 Nebraska finally passed that number with 25,260 students (4,628 freshman)

Student body has not grown 70%, like the AD has. From 2005 to 2015 the enrollment grew 14%.

Just thought I would throw something in.

Off to do yard work once it warms up a little bit and the leaves dry up. Last weekend I found a Eastern Massasagua rattlesnake under a pile of leaves. In all my years of living here, which is now 26, I have NEVER seen a rattlesnake in my yard and I did not know that I could. Garter snakes and bull snakes, yes, rattlesnakes, oh boy.

How did I know it was a rattesnake? I snapped a picture of it and matched it up to what I found on the internet.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just thought I would throw something in.

Off to do yard work once it warms up a little bit and the leaves dry up. Last weekend I found a Eastern Massasagua rattlesnake under a pile of leaves. In all my years of living here, which is now 26, I have NEVER seen a rattlesnake in my yard and I did not know that I could. Garter snakes and bull snakes, yes, rattlesnakes, oh boy.

How did I know it was a rattesnake? I snapped a picture of it and matched it up to what I found on the internet.

Should have just checked for a rattle imo...:dhd:

BTW lets see that pic.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, if OU needs academic dollars then I don't see how the moving to the Pac 12 helps them right away. They need to run to the big ten, and fast.