• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Darren Waller retires

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dude was a beast for the Raiders when he was healthy, problem was he was only played 16 games twice in his career out of 8 seasons.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wish him well in his next life. Can't say I could blame him for hanging them up. Dude just can't stay healthy and even if he did, the Giants are in an awful situation right now. This team could be looking at the first overall pick next year and a total rebuild. Not much point him sticking around for that and he was doubtful to play anyway.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's going to be interesting to see how the Giants do this season. They are going to be playing young guys at RB and apparently TE, so we will have to see if these young guys can step up because they will be needed to contribute.

All in all, I think the Giants expected this and I think they are basically rebuilding with an emphasis on putting their biggest investments in the lines, all of which makes sense--in principle.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Giants trading a third round pick for Waller looks pretty insane in hindsight of course. I am not sure what in the world they were thinking. I guess they thought they were close to breaking through and making a title run? :L

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Giants trading a third round pick for Waller looks pretty insane in hindsight of course. I am not sure what in the world they were thinking. I guess they thought they were close to breaking through and making a title run? :L

It wasnt a good trade at the time but I think most people who werent solely focused on fantasy football knew that. Waller had already shown signs of breaking down in previous seasons.

But its not like it was some crazy bad move. The pick was very, very minor. It was called a 3rd rounder but it really was a 4th rounder (it was a compensatory pick).

The bigger part of the move was that they had to pay Waller his contract. The pick they gave up wasnt much.....but that much $'s could have been used better elsewhere. They literally could have signed both Dalton Schultz and Mike Gesicki to less money than they paid Waller and kept the draft pick.

Xeliou66

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was very good with the Raiders - didn’t do anything with the Giants. He was injury prone. I don’t blame him for not wanting to play for the Giants this year.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was very good with the Raiders - didn’t do anything with the Giants. He was injury prone. I don’t blame him for not wanting to play for the Giants this year.
i blame anyone just taking the money. Zero character, no substance.

Most important part of drafting is determining who loves the game and who just wants the money.

best part?
people trash players like Sean Lee for getting hurt.

it's a big o goofy world.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
kelsey plum #starsheart GIF by San Antonio Stars

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i blame anyone just taking the money. Zero character, no substance.

Most important part of drafting is determining who loves the game and who just wants the money.

best part?
people trash players like Sean Lee for getting hurt.

it's a big o goofy world.
He took the money from the Raiders.

Then they traded him like 7 months later.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whether it was basically a fourth because it was a late third is irrelevant IMO. Still very questionable use of draft capital for a team with a lot of needs. Even more so now that we have learned that Waller was unable to stay healthy, and retired a year in.

The only silver lining for the Giants is that they get back his cap space, $11 million, which is good because they were only $1 million below the cap.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It wasnt a good trade at the time but I think most people who werent solely focused on fantasy football knew that. Waller had already shown signs of breaking down in previous seasons.

But its not like it was some crazy bad move. The pick was very, very minor. It was called a 3rd rounder but it really was a 4th rounder (it was a compensatory pick).

The bigger part of the move was that they had to pay Waller his contract. The pick they gave up wasnt much.....but that much $'s could have been used better elsewhere. They literally could have signed both Dalton Schultz and Mike Gesicki to less money than they paid Waller and kept the draft pick.
I think when you have Daniel Jones as your QB you have to take those kinds of risks, though. There were a lot of Carr's games that were 'f it, I'm just throwing it up to Waller' and it somewhat worked.

Raiders obviously made the best move and ripped the band-aid off with Waller and then their subpar QB. Although the Raiders have ripped a lot of bandaids off lately and still dont have a top QB.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think when you have Daniel Jones as your QB you have to take those kinds of risks, though. There were a lot of Carr's games that were 'f it, I'm just throwing it up to Waller' and it somewhat worked.

Raiders obviously made the best move and ripped the band-aid off with Waller and then their subpar QB. Although the Raiders have ripped a lot of bandaids off lately and still dont have a top QB.

Yeah they were coming off the playoffs last year and had nothing for offensive playmakers. It was a gamble.....but an understandable one.

What has killed the Giants isnt that the Waller gamble failed. Its the fact that the Hyatt, Bellinger and Wan'dale picks all failed up to this point. And that is why giving up a very late 3rd for a guy like Waller was a bit understandable. You can swing 10 times with that draft pick and never come out with a good starting playmaker with a pick in that slot. And then another team can swing once on a guy like Puca and hit a grand slam. It's what makes the draft so maddening at times.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah they were coming off the playoffs last year and had nothing for offensive playmakers. It was a gamble.....but an understandable one.

What has killed the Giants isnt that the Waller gamble failed. Its the fact that the Hyatt, Bellinger and Wan'dale picks all failed up to this point. And that is why giving up a very late 3rd for a guy like Waller was a bit understandable. You can swing 10 times with that draft pick and never come out with a good starting playmaker with a pick in that slot. And then another team can swing once on a guy like Puca and hit a grand slam. It's what makes the draft so maddening at times.
Yeah, just in general the issue with the Giants is that they're probably top 5 in draft capitol over the last decade and almost certainly bottom 10 in drafting over the last decade. Someone throwing darts could do about as well, I'm guessing.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
interviews are that important with the money being what it has become.
suddenly talent is not the end all.

wait
what?

:wash:

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whether it was basically a fourth because it was a late third is irrelevant IMO. Still very questionable use of draft capital for a team with a lot of needs. Even more so now that we have learned that Waller was unable to stay healthy, and retired a year in.

The only silver lining for the Giants is that they get back his cap space, $11 million, which is good because they were only $1 million below the cap.
Yeah, it was questionable but it's the Giants F.O. They have shown their ineptitude time and again. Paying arguably the worst starting QB in the league top 10 money and compounding that with being unable to figure out how to build even a decent roster around the QB shows just how bad it has become. They were giving it a shot with Waller as a band-aid move and hoping for a miracle.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bad risk, bad reward.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, everything the Giants touch turns to shit. It’s like the Jets are contagious.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They have a nice defense now they should have kept Carr. That was some dumb shit.