• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Da'Quan Bowers arrested at LaGuardia Airport for illegally carrying a handgun

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or actually make prison, i don't know, maybe prison? They have it better in there than a lot of Americans do. It is supposed to be punishment. But holy hell if you actually do punish them....

True

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Three meals a day, cable, weight rooms, libraries, free education, shelter. A lot of criminals dont have that on the outside. They get released, and they commit another crime right away to get back in. My brother-in-law worked at a jail before he became a police officer. He said it was the same people over and over again. They would say things like, have it better in here, I am hungry, needed food, my friends are in here, all sorts of crazy shit. But man if you actually try to punish them, you have PC patrol on your ass in a split second. Can't punish criminals!

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, I'm not sure. When I read that he informed the airline staff that he had the gun in his bag and then read that there was a 3 1/2 year minimum, my jaw dropped. I would agree that there should be punishment for breaking the law. I'm a firm believer in "ignorance is no excuse," especially when it comes to guns. I also believe in discernment and that every situation is not the same and therefore the punishment shouldn't be a mandatory this or that. I just don't know man, I really don't. After sitting here for a few minutes and thinking about it, maybe it's like you said, not that ridiculous. I need more time to formulate a sentence that is fitting of the crime.

What was the reasoning of the charges? Was he not registered to have a gun? Was it that it was loaded? Was it because it was concealed? If so, how else was he supposed to take the gun? I assume that when he told the check-in desk he had one that he meant to check it in - or was he declaring it for carry on?

If he is registered properly for the gun, is checking it in, and declares it, the only problem would be that it was loaded and it was technically concealed, though he declared it. I'm missing some details.

Edit: I read the second Pozz link only, reading the first one, it says illegally carrying it, so I assume he didn't have it registered or that he declared it but then still went to the line to go through security.

Last edited by a moderator:

1911Alaska

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really? It was a dumbass move on his part, no doubt about it, but 3 1/2 years? That's ridiculous.

Very ridiculous, thats crazy. I am a big supporter of the 2nd ammendment and believe we would all be safer if everyone carried a gun on them

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I will never understand the rationale of bringing a gun to a freeking airport. Did he think it was the plastic gun from In the Line of Fire? And hasn't this has happened a lot to NFL figures?! Didn't Barry Switzer do the same thing?

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I will never understand the rationale of bringing a gun to a freeking airport. Did he think it was the plastic gun from In the Line of Fire? And hasn't this has happened a lot to NFL figures?! Didn't Barry Switzer do the same thing?

Andre Smith of the Bengals was arrested for having a loaded handgun at an airport not that long ago either. Shaun Rogers, too. I'm sure I could find more.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Let's see... I'm carrying a gun... it's made of metal... where could I go to make sure nobody knows I'm carrying a gun?

Hmmm......

I KNOW! THE AIRPORT!!! There's no WAY they would be able to tell I have a gun there! Sometimes I think I might actually be TOO smart.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's see... I'm carrying a gun... it's made of metal... where could I go to make sure nobody knows I'm carrying a gun?

Hmmm......

I KNOW! THE AIRPORT!!! There's no WAY they would be able to tell I have a gun there! Sometimes I think I might actually be TOO smart.

Well, he told them he had it when checking in, maybe they should have told him to check it in, then? Unless it wasn't registered, which then I don't know why he declared it when checking in, just put it in the check in, not carry on. I'm confused on where they stopped him because they said he told the woman at the check in counter, not caught at security. But they said "discovered" - you don't "discover" something someone declares prior to them checking.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Oh crap! I just realized he did it in New York. He's screwed.

Plax spend 20 months in prison.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay....timeout. I think the reason he's in so much of a pinch is not the airport issue. That's a problem and undoubtedly an offense, but I'm "guessing" and I stress that part, he's not registered to carry a gun in NY. Isn't that what ultimately got Plax in hot water? Wasn't he a licensed carrier...just not for NY? The airport part might not be his biggest problem.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I'm "guessing" and I stress that part, he's not registered to carry a gun in NY. Isn't that what ultimately got Plax in hot water?

Yes. Plaxico's gun was registered in another state, but it wasn't registered in New York.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay....timeout. I think the reason he's in so much of a pinch is not the airport issue. That's a problem and undoubtedly an offense, but I'm "guessing" and I stress that part, he's not registered to carry a gun in NY. Isn't that what ultimately got Plax in hot water? Wasn't he a licensed carrier...just not for NY? The airport part might not be his biggest problem.

I don't think the airport issue is even an offense. I think it's purely a registration in New York thing. The reason I say this is because he declared it at the check in spot, so I assume he was checking it in? But he shouldn't have been in NY with it when it's not registered.

Having it loaded and it was in a bag (concealed), so I guess that could be an airport issue/offense, but I don't think it was putting it in his bag and getting caught at security. But maybe it was?... The reports don't have much detail, it just says they discovered it, though he declared it early and doesn't say where they stopped him. They did say it was illegal, so it was a registration thing.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If he really told them he had the gun up front, I think he can hire a good lawyer and avoid any jail time. They'll probably fine the hell out of him and give him extended probation. He didn't shoot anyone in the leg so I'd actually be surprised if they threw him in jail. But that is the wrong place to slip up on this. If it were Texas he'd have no problems at all.

"Judge and jury - you really have to understand I was stoned, I mean really stoned out of my mind, and didn't even remember the damn thing was loaded..."

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"I can't believable."

Seriously. Anybody seen Idiocracy? We're living it, in case you hadn't noticed.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watch the whole thing, he puts on comedy so it takes awhile.

Last edited by a moderator: