• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Da'Quan Bowers arrested at LaGuardia Airport for illegally carrying a handgun

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When they board private planes like team charters do they have to go through the same security screenings as you would on a regular flight?

If they don't, maybe that is why these guys keep doing this... maybe they always bring guns and stuff on road trips during the season and out of habit or carelessness they forget to take the gun out when they go on a normal flight.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When they board private planes like team charters do they have to go through the same security screenings as you would on a regular flight?

If they don't, maybe that is why these guys keep doing this... maybe they always bring guns and stuff on road trips during the season and out of habit or carelessness they forget to take the gun out when they go on a normal flight.

Good perspective. I mean, it's still their fault and they should learn, but I hadn't really thought of that. I did think that they might be used to being taken care of all the time by team staff, but not this.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Buccaneers' Da'Quan Bowers arrested for carrying gun at LaGuardia Airport

Campbell said Bowers will be charged on two counts of criminal possession of a weapon on the second degree — the same charges levied against former New York Giants wide receiver Plaxico Burress in 2008. The charges carry a minimum sentence of 3½ years in prison.

-----------

According to Campbell, Bowers did not try to go through security with his Smith & Wesson firearm. When he got to the check-in counter, he told airline employees he had a gun in his bag, Campbell said. She did not have any information on Bowers' reasoning for having the gun in his bag.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good perspective. I mean, it's still their fault and they should learn, but I hadn't really thought of that. I did think that they might be used to being taken care of all the time by team staff, but not this.

Sorry but I'm not giving them a pass. I have flown on private jets and commercial. I don't "forget" the rules. It's not that damn hard. If they can't remember that simple rule they are probably not bright enough to own a deadly weapon.

As for the rules on private planes, I was always told the pilot has the right to search passenger bags but it never happened to me.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Buccaneers' Da'Quan Bowers arrested for carrying gun at LaGuardia Airport

Campbell said Bowers will be charged on two counts of criminal possession of a weapon on the second degree — the same charges levied against former New York Giants wide receiver Plaxico Burress in 2008. The charges carry a minimum sentence of 3½ years in prison.

-----------

According to Campbell, Bowers did not try to go through security with his Smith & Wesson firearm. When he got to the check-in counter, he told airline employees he had a gun in his bag, Campbell said. She did not have any information on Bowers' reasoning for having the gun in his bag.

Make it stick New York!

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I remember the NY law correctly, the judge has no latitude on the sentence. If he's found guilty he's going inside.....not saying I agree or disagree, just stating the law as I believe it to work.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I remember the NY law correctly, the judge has no latitude on the sentence. If he's found guilty he's going inside.....not saying I agree or disagree, just stating the law as I believe it to work.

:L. Mandatory sentencing

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really? It was a dumbass move on his part, but 3 1/2 years? That's ridiculous.

Yes, really! He'll serve ~1/2 that time on good behavior - which isn't ridiculous.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On top of that, he can't have a large Coke while he's on trial....

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not for the sake of argument but just curious - what would your punishment be?

Honestly, I'm not sure. When I read that he informed the airline staff that he had the gun in his bag and then read that there was a 3 1/2 year minimum, my jaw dropped. I would agree that there should be punishment for breaking the law. I'm a firm believer in "ignorance is no excuse," especially when it comes to guns. I also believe in discernment and that every situation is not the same and therefore the punishment shouldn't be a mandatory this or that. I just don't know man, I really don't. After sitting here for a few minutes and thinking about it, maybe it's like you said, not that ridiculous. I need more time to formulate a sentence that is fitting of the crime.

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
And I mean that seriously. I loathe NYC

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, I'm not sure. When I read that he informed the airline staff that he had the gun in his bag and then read that there was a 3 1/2 year minimum, my jaw dropped. I would agree that there should be punishment for breaking the law. I'm a firm believer in "ignorance is no excuse," especially when it comes to guns. I also believe in discernment and that every situation is not the same and therefore the punishment shouldn't be a mandatory this or that. I just don't know man, I really don't. After sitting here for a few minutes and thinking about it, maybe it's like you said, not that ridiculous. I need more time to formulate a sentence that is fitting of the crime.

I hear ya. I have often wondered if our "punishment should fit the crime" policy is why we have so many repeat offenders. Perhaps it is time to make the punishment deter the crime?

It's a tough call so I'm with you on that. I think perhaps my tolerance for idiots is at capacity for this lifetime, which means I'm going to be one frustrated puppy for the next few decades.

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Or actually make prison, i don't know, maybe prison? They have it better in there than a lot of Americans do. It is supposed to be punishment. But holy hell if you actually do punish them....

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or actually make prison, i don't know, maybe prison? They have it better in there than a lot of Americans do. It is supposed to be punishment. But holy hell if you actually do punish them....

Great Point Rv!