• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

D Train gone

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From MLB Trade Rumors:

The Reds have agreed to sign Dontrelle Willis to a minor league deal, according to ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick (on Twitter). Still just 28, Willis has gone from rookie phenom to ace to trade chip to bust to reclamation project in his eight-year MLB career. The Reds are presumably willing to overlook the control problems Willis has had in recent years because of the promise he showed when he first appeared in the majors in the early 2000s.

I guess Tidrow and the rest of the Giants brass figured he's a lost cause.

Too bad; great local story.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Poor guy, I wonder what happened to him. Maybe it was hard to maintain his herky jerky mechanics, maybe it was steroids (although I hate to assume), maybe it was all in his head and he lost his confidence.

He was a fun pitcher to watch for awhile though. Good luck to him.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder why the Giants decided to sign him in the first place then?

Same reasons the Reds signed him now:
1. He's still pretty young;
2. When "right" he's dominant; and
3. They think they can fix him.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same reasons the Reds signed him now:
1. He's still pretty young;
2. When "right" he's dominant; and
3. They think they can fix him.

I'm just thinking, we signed him in what, August? Did the Giants think they could fix him in 2 months.

If they wanted to fix him, why didn't they keep him?

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just thinking, we signed him in what, August? Did the Giants think they could fix him in 2 months.

If they wanted to fix him, why didn't they keep him?

2 months of working with a guy every day might have been enough to convince the Giants that he's unfixable. OTOH, maybe Willis felt he had a better shot at the Reds staff.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
2 months of working with a guy every day might have been enough to convince the Giants that he's unfixable. OTOH, maybe Willis felt he had a better shot at the Reds staff.

Something like that. He's probably thinking, "damn, Dusty is going to ruin all of those arms so I will DEFINITELY have a shot with this squad".

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something like that. He's probably thinking, "damn, Dusty is going to ruin all of those arms so I will DEFINITELY have a shot with this squad".

Hahahaha. Good one. Tried to give you rep for it, but apparently, I've given it to you too recently. The humor should be recognized, nonetheless. On topic, yeah, he probably thinks he is still a starter, and truth be told, it would be difficult for him to even break into the Giants' bullpen. Good luck, D-Will. All the best when not going up against San Francisco.