• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cyprien

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
He was wowing the Jaguars at minicamp. They were impressed with his athletic ability and even his leadership.

I will be a bit pi$$ed off if Cyprien ends up being a better NFL player than Eric Reid. We could have stayed pat at 31 and picked Cyprien and kept the 3rd rounder.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He's a better athlete than Eric Reid is that's for sure. We had several threads (Senior Bowl was one of them), where his name popped up a lot and the articles we were posting basically was saying how vocal he was and how other players gravitate to him. Natural leadership skills. At the combine, he made a catch that was incredible to see (it showed his vertical and agility, hands, the guy is an athletic freak for real). I never saw one game of JC, but after seeing his workout during the combine and reading the things we had posted about him, I was convinced that he was prospect (late first / early second round grade):

Video (not the one I was looking for that showed his combine workouts):
2013 NFL Draft Tracker ? NFL.com

You are right Maniax, this kid is as good if not better than Reid IMO. We could have stayed put at 31 and drafted him there. Is Reid really all that much better for us to forfeit a high 3rd round pick to acquire him?

Smalls

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
He's a better athlete than Eric Reid is that's for sure.

I don't think it's for sure at all. Reid is a great athlete in his own right. Cyprien didn't participate in most drills at the combine, which was annoying, but Reid showed off his athleticism.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I don't think it's for sure at all. Reid is a great athlete in his own right. Cyprien didn't participate in most drills at the combine, which was annoying, but Reid showed off his athleticism.

Yeah, and based on the numbers I can find for Cyprien (nfldraftscout), Reid outperformed him in every test. Obviously that's not the be-all, end-all of athleticism, but these are tests specifically designed to test athleticism.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i was kinda hoping he would fall past the jags and we could grab him.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, and based on the numbers I can find for Cyprien (nfldraftscout), Reid outperformed him in every test. Obviously that's not the be-all, end-all of athleticism, but these are tests specifically designed to test athleticism.

i think cyprien is better suited for FS. reid more SS.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
i think cyprien is better suited for FS. reid more SS.

I haven't seem much of either guy, so I don't have a strong opinion personally. On paper, this was a weird safety class. I read multiple reports that claimed that virtually every guy other than Vaccaro was a better SS or a better FS, particularly Reid and Cyprien. Some people, like Williamson in the most recent NFC West position review, viewed Reid as a pure FS. Others think he's more of a SS. And the views on Cyprien seem even more starkly divided.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's over, I wanted Cyprien a 31 too but we have Reid. We just gotta hope that Reid turns out

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Reid may have more experience and a bit more maturity and maybe playing experience at a big time school? Maybe he'll have less growing pains if you threw him into the fire right away which appears to be the case?

In the past when we traded up for guys it turned out to be a good move (Aldon Smith, Joe Staley, Anthony Davis) so I hope this works out the same.

Reid's playing ability right off the bat may make or break our Superbowl run. I think staying healthy is #1, improving our pass rush is #2 priority, improving secondary #3.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He was wowing the Jaguars at minicamp. They were impressed with his athletic ability and even his leadership.

I will be a bit pi$$ed off if Cyprien ends up being a better NFL player than Eric Reid. We could have stayed pat at 31 and picked Cyprien and kept the 3rd rounder.

and thats ok to be pissed IF it pans out that. this happens EVERY year to most of our higher picks of recent past. we always go back and compare what could've been. Taylor Mays?

the 49ers won't be right all the time, but they make decisions now and dont have hindisight (like fans). heck, sometimes go all the way back to JJ Stokes, and compare what would've been?

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was hoping Cyprien would fall to the Lions in round 2. He was my favorite safety in the draft. Whatever came of the "shoulder problems" Reid was rumored to have been red flagged by multiple teams for right before the day of the draft? Was that the Niners leaking bad info? I never heard about it once he was drafted.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If I were an NFL GM, I'd prefer neither of them play FS; I'd want ether one at SS. But Reid would easily make a better FS than Cyprien IMO.

nowadays, there's a fine line between SS and FS? we've been wanting "interchangable" Safeties for some time now.

can't help believe they look for someone as all-around as possible? we'll never get a Safety who can do it ALL, but i'd think they look for the most balance?

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
nowadays, there's a fine line between SS and FS? we've been wanting "interchangable" Safeties for some time now.

can't help believe they look for someone as all-around as possible? we'll never get a Safety who can do it ALL, but i'd think they look for the most balance?

"Yeah, I think that’s fair. I think that they are interchangeable to a degree. I think that’s really based on the talent of individuals and the skill-sets of the players, right?

If one guy’s better at rolling to the box and the other guy’s better covering deep, schematically you’re going to design the defense to take advantage of the strengths and weaknesses of your players. Would you like to have mirror-image guys so you can disguise maybe a little bit more creatively? Yeah, I think so…
" - Trent Baalke

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
nowadays, there's a fine line between SS and FS?

Depends on how they're used. If the Niners had 2 safeties like Sean Taylor (RIP) the point would be moot; he could've playedd either safety spot with equal dominance. But ideally, you want to have at least one of the guys who can play great in the box (Reid IMO; Whitner fits this bill as well). But the better one in coverage should be the FS regardless.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I were an NFL GM, I'd prefer neither of them play FS; I'd want ether one at SS. But Reid would easily make a better FS than Cyprien IMO.

imo cyprien is similar to goldson and would work well in our system at FS