• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Current Roster

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see it as…

Webb
Stripling
Harrison
[Hicks/Beck/Winn/Hjelle] (x2)
I guess the difference is how dedicated the Giants are to making Hicks a starter is. Is it a big part of the deal, that he only signed with the promise of starting (of course, we all know how that works with this FO)? Or is it a "hey, we want you on the team and will check out the possibility of stretching you out in spring training to see if you are good to start"?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess the difference is how dedicated the Giants are to making Hicks a starter is. Is it a big part of the deal, that he only signed with the promise of starting (of course, we all know how that works with this FO)? Or is it a "hey, we want you on the team and will check out the possibility of stretching you out in spring training to see if you are good to start"?
Yeah. We are not privy to any discussions between him and the Giants (FZ and Melvin). All we know is that some journalist blow hard has said that he “wants” to be a starter. That doesn’t say anything. I would hope he also “wants” to be a HOFer. Doesn’t mean he will be.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. We are not privy to any discussions between him and the Giants (FZ and Melvin). All we know is that some journalist blow hard has said that he “wants” to be a starter. That doesn’t say anything. I would hope he also “wants” to be a HOFer. Doesn’t mean he will be.
Just like some 50 year olds say they want to quit their jobs to become MLB players.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems overpay for an average player.
He has quite a bit of upside. He is young and has a good arm. I think he is better suited for relief and is injury prone, so I think the amount is a bit of an overpay. It could be a disaster, though, experimenting with him in the starting rotation. Time will tell. Hope it works out since he'll be wearing a Giants' uniform.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has quite a bit of upside. He is young and has a good arm. I think he is better suited for relief and is injury prone, so I think the amount is a bit of an overpay. It could be a disaster, though, experimenting with him in the starting rotation. Time will tell. Hope it works out since he'll be wearing a Giants' uniform.
But the Giants aren’t paying for anything. I won’t worry about paying too much in regards to this team until it becomes an issue.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But the Giants aren’t paying for anything. I won’t worry about paying too much in regards to this team until it becomes an issue.
Not worried, just think its a bit of an overpay. This contract could be a disaster, it could work great (even as a reliever). My biggest gripe about it is this seems the closest to the "splash" signing(s) that FZ talked about doing this offseason.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. What kind of MORON would do that?

sheesh…
Well There You Go Chris Gethard GIF by reactionseditor

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Out of curiosity, why are people thinking Hicks will be the #4 or #5 starter? Just because we need one more starter?

He has never started a SINGLE game in the majors, and only once pitched 70 innings or more.

Edit: Oops, just noticed there was another page that I hadn't read. Ignore this ...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Out of curiosity, why are people thinking Hicks will be the #4 or #5 starter? Just because we need one more starter?

He has never started a SINGLE game in the majors, and only once pitched 70 innings or more.

Edit: Oops, just noticed there was another page that I hadn't read. Ignore this ...
He had 8 starts in ‘22…

As I said elsewhere, I am not concerned with the bad results from those 8 games, but he does have them. And I agree with your point in general.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hummel added to the 40.

That puts us at 41, so there will be a corresponding move in the next few days.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sweet claimed by the Tiggers
I was expecting him to the be 40 man casualty. FZ gambled that he could pass him through waivers and lost.
Time to further churn the roster. Wonder when Hummel gets dfa'd and who will take his 40 man spot?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was expecting him to the be 40 man casualty. FZ gambled that he could pass him through waivers and lost.
Time to further churn the roster. Wonder when Hummel gets dfa'd and who will take his 40 man spot?
I think Hummel is probably at the top of the “next man out” list. He is an OF/DH who has worn the tools of ignorance a few times. And he doesn’t have much of a bat.

Perfect FZ find.