• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cuddyer

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Free Agent Stock Watch: Michael Cuddyer: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

Early speculation has him getting 3 years and $30 mil (possibly $27 as a hometown discount back to Minny) on the open market. I've never been too impressed with his range in RF, but I haven't been impressed with Beltran's recently, either.

There isn't a giant difference in age from 32 to 34, but Cuddyer would be finishing his contract at 35, while Beltran would likely want a contract that gives him a full season in AT&T's outfield at age 37 (36 if he is willing to take a 3-year deal). Obviously, Carlos is a better hitter when he's healthy. He also has a better arm, but he doesn't have the flexibility to be a decent back-up 2B (I like Keppy, but I think Cuddyer gets to more balls) or possibility of being an adequate back-up 3B (much less likely but still possible).

I don't know that Cuddyer is the best FA for the Giants to pursue, but the mlbtraderumors article made it sound like the Twins won't offer arbitration, Beltran will likely demand more (which he should) and is slightly older/more injury prone (Cuddyer has only had less than 550 PAs once since becoming an everyday platoon player in 2006).

What say you, fellow Giants' fans? Too pricey? Too many years? Not enough production? Rather have Beltran? No point; he's definitely staying in Minnesota? Not good enough in Right Field to handle AT&T?

If the Giants don't pursue him, I hope the Twins get him locked up quickly, so the market for his services will likely be set at $9 mil a year (or lower). That could help keep other potential FA demands in check. The MLBPA hates that!

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be shocked if Cuddyer signs with another team than the Twinkies. That said, I suspect the Giants will be taking a hard look at David DeJesus.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Free Agent Stock Watch: Michael Cuddyer: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

Early speculation has him getting 3 years and $30 mil (possibly $27 as a hometown discount back to Minny) on the open market. I've never been too impressed with his range in RF, but I haven't been impressed with Beltran's recently, either.

There isn't a giant difference in age from 32 to 34, but Cuddyer would be finishing his contract at 35, while Beltran would likely want a contract that gives him a full season in AT&T's outfield at age 37 (36 if he is willing to take a 3-year deal). Obviously, Carlos is a better hitter when he's healthy. He also has a better arm, but he doesn't have the flexibility to be a decent back-up 2B (I like Keppy, but I think Cuddyer gets to more balls) or possibility of being an adequate back-up 3B (much less likely but still possible).

I don't know that Cuddyer is the best FA for the Giants to pursue, but the mlbtraderumors article made it sound like the Twins won't offer arbitration, Beltran will likely demand more (which he should) and is slightly older/more injury prone (Cuddyer has only had less than 550 PAs once since becoming an everyday platoon player in 2006).

What say you, fellow Giants' fans? Too pricey? Too many years? Not enough production? Rather have Beltran? No point; he's definitely staying in Minnesota? Not good enough in Right Field to handle AT&T?

If the Giants don't pursue him, I hope the Twins get him locked up quickly, so the market for his services will likely be set at $9 mil a year (or lower). That could help keep other potential FA demands in check. The MLBPA hates that!

I'd rather have Beltran, but that's because I really like Beltran. That said, he'd be a great addition IMO, but he's probably staying in Minny.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be shocked if Cuddyer signs with another team than the Twinkies. That said, I suspect the Giants will be taking a hard look at David DeJesus.

Interesting suggestion. I liked what I saw of DeJesus last year, but his numbers this year have certainly fallen off. Similar age range, obviously much less pop, but that's what makes him more affordable.

The almost 2 to 1 K/BB ratio scares me a little, but that seems to be an anomaly for his career, which suggest the recent struggles. The fact that he is batting .237 this year while maintaining a .322 OBP shows he can take a pitch (and might be taking too many, which would be an interesting problem for a Giants' hitter not named Belt). If he moves more toward his career OBP of .356, he will be a steal for somebody.

The only problem I see as a fit for the Giants is that they would still need a lead-off guy, but that will likely be the case regardless of any FA pick-ups that aren't Crisp. Plus, it seems the Giants routinely load up on guys that would be perfect at 2 or 6 in the batting order with a legit 3 and an 8 or two mixed in, but that will eventually change with Buster/Panda/Giraffe (fingers crossed for health, development and future signings).

Signing DeJesus might leave enough money to pursue Crisp, but would you want to take playing time away from Nate and Belt for him? Nate/DeJesus could be up there with the best 4th outfielders in baseball (if David gets back to career norms and Nate builds on this year, both quite possible).

DeJesus is exactly the type of "guy-coming-off-a-down-year-compared-to-his-career-norms" that Sabean loves, too. I can't say I'd be opposed to it. Power hitters are nice, but they're pricey. We shall see.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd rather have Beltran, but that's because I really like Beltran. That said, he'd be a great addition IMO, but he's probably staying in Minny.

That is what I feared, but it's fun to get an idea of how many fans would want him at what price versus other possibilities. Thanks for your input.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way I see it, we are not going to be able to fill our leadoff hitter need through free agency. It will have to be through trade.

Erick Aybar comes to mind, but his OBP may not be fitting for that role. Dernard Span comes to mind. And if the Royals lockup Melky Cabrera long term, Lorenzo Cain would be a fine option.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way I see it, we are not going to be able to fill our leadoff hitter need through free agency. It will have to be through trade.

Erick Aybar comes to mind, but his OBP may not be fitting for that role. Dernard Span comes to mind. And if the Royals lockup Melky Cabrera long term, Lorenzo Cain would be a fine option.

Denard Span definitely intrigues me despite his regression/injury problems this year. I think he can still be an average CF-lead-off man with a chance at being well above average. The problem is after factoring in cost of prospects in addition to his current $15 mil over the next three seasons (with a $9 mil team option for 2015), is he worth the risk? Maybe.

I like the Cain idea, too, but he will be just as expensive (if not moreso) than Span prospect-wise due to the team control of his low contract. Definitely both options that should be pursued, vetted, etc.

EDIT: I forgot Aybar. Arb. eligible. I think the Angels will offer it. If not, definitely a guy to pursue.

Last edited by a moderator:

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Denard Span definitely intrigues me despite his regression/injury problems this year. I think he can still be an average CF-lead-off man with a chance at being well above average. The problem is after factoring in cost of prospects in addition to his current $15 mil over the next three seasons (with a $9 mil team option for 2015), is he worth the risk? Maybe.

I like the Cain idea, too, but he will be just as expensive (if not moreso) than Span prospect-wise due to the team control of his low contract. Definitely both options that should be pursued, vetted, etc.

EDIT: I forgot Aybar. Arb. eligible. I think the Angels will offer it. If not, definitely a guy to pursue.

Is any worth Sanchez? I think all 3 would need him.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is any worth Sanchez? I think all 3 would need him.

That's where it would start, definitely, but I think you're looking at +, and possibly, ++ to get Span or Cain. If Aybar accepts arbitration, I don't think the Angels will deal him, but he would be in the same boat. I think Sanchez, Brown, Hembree/Runzler? :-)pray:) would nab Span, but I can certainly be wrong.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting suggestion. I liked what I saw of DeJesus last year, but his numbers this year have certainly fallen off. Similar age range, obviously much less pop, but that's what makes him more affordable.

The almost 2 to 1 K/BB ratio scares me a little, but that seems to be an anomaly for his career, which suggest the recent struggles. The fact that he is batting .237 this year while maintaining a .322 OBP shows he can take a pitch (and might be taking too many, which would be an interesting problem for a Giants' hitter not named Belt). If he moves more toward his career OBP of .356, he will be a steal for somebody.

The only problem I see as a fit for the Giants is that they would still need a lead-off guy, but that will likely be the case regardless of any FA pick-ups that aren't Crisp. Plus, it seems the Giants routinely load up on guys that would be perfect at 2 or 6 in the batting order with a legit 3 and an 8 or two mixed in, but that will eventually change with Buster/Panda/Giraffe (fingers crossed for health, development and future signings).

Signing DeJesus might leave enough money to pursue Crisp, but would you want to take playing time away from Nate and Belt for him? Nate/DeJesus could be up there with the best 4th outfielders in baseball (if David gets back to career norms and Nate builds on this year, both quite possible).

DeJesus is exactly the type of "guy-coming-off-a-down-year-compared-to-his-career-norms" that Sabean loves, too. I can't say I'd be opposed to it. Power hitters are nice, but they're pricey. We shall see.

This. And, Sabes was in on him last year when we got Guillen.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's where it would start, definitely, but I think you're looking at +, and possibly, ++ to get Span or Cain. If Aybar accepts arbitration, I don't think the Angels will deal him, but he would be in the same boat. I think Sanchez, Brown, Hembree/Runzler? :-)pray:) would nab Span, but I can certainly be wrong.

EDIT: I've read that the Twins are asking for a lot for Span because his pay slowly increases as the next three seasons go before the option, so they have time to wait it out. Maybe Sanchez, Casilla/Hembree, Brown and Pill? That might not even be enough. Worth it? Sabes' call.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
EDIT: I've read that the Twins are asking for a lot for Span because his pay slowly increases as the next three seasons go before the option, so they have time to wait it out. Maybe Sanchez, Casilla/Hembree, Brown and Pill? That might not even be enough. Worth it? Sabes' call.

Seems pretty steep, though I'm not quite sure. They asked for Storen or Clippard from the Nats. I wouldn't think we need to include Brown, they have Revere and Hicks (top OF prospect).

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems pretty steep, though I'm not quite sure. They asked for Storen or Clippard from the Nats. I wouldn't think we need to include Brown, they have Revere and Hicks (top OF prospect).

Good point. I was under the impression they wanted Storen and Clippard (crazy, right?). Either way, both them are better proven relievers than Runzler/Hembree/Casilla, even with as good as Santiago has been, recently.

I would think they would want a plus prospect in addition to Durrty (if they want him at all) because they definitely wanted at least a B prospect in addition to Storen. The Giants best prospect is Brown, and if they don't need OF depth, the quality of player drops off a little. Sanchez/Hembree/Runzler/Joseph? That seems a little steep, too. What do you think?

EDIT: Plus, why would you want a catcher when you've got Joe Mauer? Move him to first if Morneau can't bounce back? Wow. He is due $14 mil each of the next two seasons.

Last edited by a moderator:

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
fun fact, in high school cuddyer dated my friends sister.

tumblr_llmuq33Ln11qhf7sjo1_500.jpg

mistgl

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
That is what I feared, but it's fun to get an idea of how many fans would want him at what price versus other possibilities. Thanks for your input.

If they don't offer him arb, I have no problem with floating him an offer.

But he, like Rollins, will be a type A who isn't worth the loss of a 1st round draft pick at their age.