• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

CS: Definitive 8 College Football Blue Bloods

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So let me get this straight: you're actually defending your program in comparison to the Gamecocks?

You've already lost...
You're the one that brought Cocks into this. I think the better question is did you miss the thread title when you brought USCe up?

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wanna know what you think. I'll go w/ your expert opinion.
Most people would probably say they think he broke the rules, despite no actual real concrete evidence to tie him directly to any payment. Point being, circumstantial evidence or a string of coincidences can lead one to a conclusion.

For instance, we know Pryor got rental sports cars for months at a time while his car was "in the shop". And based on real life experience, we know that isn't a normal thing. But there's no proof the NCAA could dig up that would tie him to any improper benefit since it was hidden behind being a "rental car".

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most people would probably say they think he broke the rules, despite no actual real concrete evidence to tie him directly to any payment. Point being, circumstantial evidence or a string of coincidences can lead one to a conclusion.

For instance, we know Pryor got rental sports cars for months at a time while his car was "in the shop". And based on real life experience, we know that isn't a normal thing. But there's no proof the NCAA could dig up that would tie him to any improper benefit since it was hidden behind being a "rental car".

So what you're really doing is making up your own reality about events you don't know about for sure. Got it.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 290,000.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're the one that brought Cocks into this. I think the better question is did you miss the thread title when you brought USCe up?

And you should have ignored my comment as not being worth your time.

But I believe the truth of the matter is, your program is on par with South Carolina over the last 15 years, and I think deep down inside you know it's true. It's why you rushed to bring up crystal footballs from when you were in Jr high school when reminded that your school hasn't done much lately -- except lose with top ten recruiting classes, same as the Gamecocks.

Yeah, you used to be a blue blood. I don't think you're ever going to win another title. I'd say the same thing to a Notre Dame fan, if it makes you feel any better.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And you should have ignored my comment as not being worth your time.

But I believe the truth of the matter is, your program is on par with South Carolina over the last 15 years, and I think deep down inside you know it's true. It's why you rushed to bring up crystal footballs from when you were in Jr high school when reminded that your school hasn't done much lately -- except lose with top ten recruiting classes, same as the Gamecocks.

Yeah, you used to be a blue blood. I don't think you're ever going to win another title. I'd say the same thing to a Notre Dame fan, if it makes you feel any better.
I wouldn't argue with the bolded one bit. It's been the worst stretch for us since the 50's. I'd also bet it was the best stretch in USC's history. I disagree with your analysis that we won't ever win anything of substance again. Nearly every team on this list has gone through a down period with bad coaching hires. We managed to back a few up into each other. With the resources NU has, it is shortsighted to say we are done. "Blue bloods" don't just go away. It takes a lack of interest and resources for that to happen (see Minnesota).

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 290,000.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't argue with the bolded one bit. It's been the worst stretch for us since the 50's. I'd also bet it was the best stretch in USC's history. I disagree with your analysis that we won't ever win anything of substance again. Nearly every team on this list has gone through a down period with bad coaching hires. We managed to back a few up into each other. With the resources NU has, it is shortsighted to say we are done. "Blue bloods" don't just go away. It takes a lack of interest and resources for that to happen (see Minnesota).

Can't really argue with any of that, it's just my opinion that times have changed too drastically for you guys.

And yeah, we'll NEVER be that type of program. I'm resigned to that. You are correct that we have never had a run like we did while Spurrier was here. I don't expect Will Muschamp to change that...and our resources are up there with just about any major program. We need something more than just money.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't really argue with any of that, it's just my opinion that times have changed too drastically for you guys.

And yeah, we'll NEVER be that type of program. I'm resigned to that. You are correct that we have never had a run like we did while Spurrier was here. I don't expect Will Muschamp to change that...and our resources are up there with just about any major program. We need something more than just money.
Many of our problems over the last 15 years can be attributed to our inability to change with the times. The perception here was that recruiting doesn't matter (despite the fact that our best teams were the result of recruiting very well), that there is only one way to build a successful program (countless champions of the past few years disprove this), and that we must cling to our tradition because it's all we have going for us. The problem with what we like to call the "Tradition Coalition" is that they fail to recognize that the way Nebraska was able to overcome the disadvantages inherent to the program (location, lack of local talent, etc.) was through being innovative in scheme, technology, nutrition, strength & conditioning, etc. We finally have a coaching staff and administration that is not content to just do things the way we've always done it, and are making strides to get better. I should mention that there is a significant portion of the fanbase that wants to run them all out of town for their efforts, so I will be on your side in saying that we'll never do anything again if that happens.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Proof, no. But it's one of those reasonable judgment things. Places that work on your car may or may not have a rental car to give you -- and if they do, it's unlikely to be a sport car. Have you ever taken your sedan in for work to be done and gotten a sports car in return for months at a time?
I used to have a Ford Fusion as a work car, and got in a wreck. My rental car for the next month was a loaded brand new Toyota Avalon, so it's certainly not outside the realm of possibility.

Here's a "reasonable judgement" question for you - a grown man in his 50s tells a teenage boy that he barely knows that he wants to sleep in his room with him overnight. I'd say it's reasonable to say that grown man is a pedo, wouldn't you?

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I used to have a Ford Fusion as a work car, and got in a wreck. My rental car for the next month was a loaded brand new Toyota Avalon, so it's certainly not outside the realm of possibility.

Here's a "reasonable judgement" question for you - a grown man in his 50s tells a teenage boy that he barely knows that he wants to sleep in his room with him overnight. I'd say it's reasonable to say that grown man is a pedo, wouldn't you?

CZNCuRFWEAATVTP.jpg

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Many of our problems over the last 15 years can be attributed to our inability to change with the times. The perception here was that recruiting doesn't matter (despite the fact that our best teams were the result of recruiting very well), that there is only one way to build a successful program (countless champions of the past few years disprove this), and that we must cling to our tradition because it's all we have going for us. The problem with what we like to call the "Tradition Coalition" is that they fail to recognize that the way Nebraska was able to overcome the disadvantages inherent to the program (location, lack of local talent, etc.) was through being innovative in scheme, technology, nutrition, strength & conditioning, etc. We finally have a coaching staff and administration that is not content to just do things the way we've always done it, and are making strides to get better. I should mention that there is a significant portion of the fanbase that wants to run them all out of town for their efforts, so I will be on your side in saying that we'll never do anything again if that happens.

you know, Texas is going through a similar thing: MB's ways quit working, the program got too fat and lackadaisical, and the result was recruits who thought they'd reached the pinnacle when they walked on campus and only had to roll out the helmets and opponents would succumb.

Strong was brought in to rip that bloated culture out and burn it down...and people don't like it. Folks don't like when their status quo is disrupted and change has to occur.

But if they just leave him be and let him do his job, winning will return. If they don't, then heaven knows what's in store for the program.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Playing in two National Championship games in three years went to everybody's heads. Why change?

Well, it's grow and change or die.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you know, Texas is going through a similar thing: MB's ways quit working, the program got too fat and lackadaisical, and the result was recruits who thought they'd reached the pinnacle when they walked on campus and only had to roll out the helmets and opponents would succumb.

Strong was brought in to rip that bloated culture out and burn it down...and people don't like it. Folks don't like when their status quo is disrupted and change has to occur.

But if they just leave him be and let him do his job, winning will return. If they don't, then heaven knows what's in store for the program.
Our fans are passionate, but they can be morons at times. If you ask certain fans, Tom Osborne won national titles purely by turning farm boys from Cozad, NE into All Americans and we only ran 3 different offensive plays (option left, option right, FB trap). I'm gonna be so pissed if those idiots end up getting our AD and coach fired before they've even had a chance.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Actually there was significantly more evidence in the Cam case, ie. the fact the NCAA had to create a new rule because they found his father had indeed demanded money. Cam himself said nobody was closer to him during his recruiting process than his father. That's a significantly stronger case than what you're trying to make about Pryor.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol. 2000 in the National championship. 2010 and 2011 I think we're the other dates as of late. Still watch the OU/Nole game in 2011 from time to time. Man there was some big time hits in that game for both teams.

Man my memory is bad. I can go back 2-3 years tops

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I sincerely think that even if Texas loses this season the new AD gives him next year. The talent he's bringing in is too good, and the players believe in Strong. We're seeing recruits believe in him too. He's building this the right way, we just need to be patient and let the foundation set.