• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Crabtree's perforance vs Lions

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You know, Crabtree has horrible field awareness (and although you disagree, his instincts are not much better). This is the fourth, maybe even the fifth deep cross that has wound up in the arms of the other team. Furthermore, three of those four (or five) have been by three different QB's. (Carr overthrew Crabtree on a deep cross vs. Carolina and T.Smith overthrew Crabtree on a deep cross vs. St. Louis)

Considering Crabtree's deficiencies, I'm not 100% convinced these long throws are not actually just short routes. Not saying they are, just sayin.

good point, could very well be Crabtree's error together with Alex? if he didn't run his route with enough depth, then Alex can only adjust so much, he doesn't have all day to stare it down.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
According to Sando's blog, Smith said there was miscommunication on the INT. Did crabs screw up? Possibly...

This game made Crabtree look more like a possession receiver, not an Elite one. Though, it was his chance to shine!

Yeah, and I am certainly not saying Crabtree did screw it up, but if I'm betting on the evidence then I'm betting he did.

As for Crabtree being a possession receiver, he was certainly running possession routes, but, IMO, he needs to improve his defense reading, route running, field awareness, hands, timing and chemistry with Smith before I would say he is a possession receiver, or at least, a good possession receiver.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
good point, could very well be Crabtree's error together with Alex? if he didn't run his route with enough depth, then Alex can only adjust so much, he doesn't have all day to stare it down.

Yeah, exactly. You know about the WCO as well as anyone, Deep, and it is about receivers being where they need to be when they need to be there, and, of course, the ball being there too.

Thepatty13

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
O geez I hope im not hearing those bad throw Smith made were Crabtrees fault. I dont see much justification for those poor throw Smith made. Im not comparing (or even saying there names in the same breath) but Rodgers, Brady, etc (insert good QB) make those throw with there eyes closed.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I thought it was a solid effort that could be built on.

Smith did miss him a couple of times with high passes but I thought there were a couple he could've caught also.

I thought Smith's balls were sailing high because of poor mechanics. And if I had to guess I believe Smith mentally got caught up with having to get rid of the ball that the ball might've well been a bomb in hands that he had to chuck away no matter what.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
O geez I hope im not hearing those bad throw Smith made were Crabtrees fault. I dont see much justification for those poor throw Smith made. Im not comparing (or even saying there names in the same breath) but Rodgers, Brady, etc (insert good QB) make those throw with there eyes closed.

The INT in particular stands out. I don't know what route Crabtree was supposed to run, but Smith was about four yards behind him and about five feet over his head. It just wasn't close. I don't see how that pass would have been a good one regardless of where Crabtree was supposed to be.

That said, timing routes are going to be crucial in this offense, and it's clear that Smith and Crabtree aren't quite there yet. Hopefully this is something they spend a fair bit of time on this weekend.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The INT in particular stands out. I don't know what route Crabtree was supposed to run, but Smith was about four yards behind him and about five feet over his head. It just wasn't close. I don't see how that pass would have been a good one regardless of where Crabtree was supposed to be.

That said, timing routes are going to be crucial in this offense, and it's clear that Smith and Crabtree aren't quite there yet. Hopefully this is something they spend a fair bit of time on this weekend.

Not making any claim here, just stating a fact, but less than three minutes earlier Smith hit Crabtree for 27 yards on the same route and the breaking point was five yards deeper (~17yds vs ~12yds).

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

whoa...for ME, i'm now thinking Crabtree may have SHARED in those high passes? can't declare it was him or not, just initially blamed Alex 100%.

btw - we already know Alex Smith can't do it with his "eyes closed". so if you're still expecting it, of course you're dissapointed.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it just sailed on Smith... he rushed the throw and overthrew Crabs.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Not making any claim here, just stating a fact, but less than three minutes earlier Smith hit Crabtree for 27 yards on the same route and the breaking point was five yards deeper (~17yds vs ~12yds).

I can't recall. If video of the game comes out, I'll try to take a look. In that case, Smith's pass probably would have been about right (though the S would have been right there, too). I'm not able to access the individual plays at present, but based on the game highlights of the INT, Crabtree made his cut before the pass was thrown. It wasn't a case of Smith throwing before Crabtree made his break. I think Smith just rushed the throw.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
whoa...for ME, i'm now thinking Crabtree may have SHARED in those high passes? can't declare it was him or not, just initially blamed Alex 100%.

btw - we already know Alex Smith can't do it with his "eyes closed". so if you're still expecting it, of course you're dissapointed.

Yeah, Deep, it's the natural reaction to blame the QB, but the evidence strongly suggests that it might not have been entirely Smith's fault. Again, and like yourself, I not saying it wasn't 100% Smith's fault, but there is a strong possibility it wasn't.

We threw the same deep cross to Ginn just before the half for 18 yards - Crabtree's leap came at 13 yards and the wide open soft spot in the zone was five yards deeper.

bing_blunt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If its a timing route, then I don't see how Crabtree was expected to be 10 yards downfield of where he was... he'd need another .5 - 1 second to get to where Alex threw it, in which case, what was Alex doing throwing the ball if Crabtree didn't have enough time to get to the spot?

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Unless Crabtree broke a different direction... and was supposed to run a flag instead of a cross.