• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Crabtree VS DHB revisited

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DHB and Crabtree should'nt have been talked about at 10 either...

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
DHB and Crabtree should'nt have been talked about at 10 either...

Agreed 100% back then, and I agree now. Every time I see a picture of Crabtree I want to punch it.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, some of us liked Britt and Nicks better than both of them. I had Crabs ranked higher than DHB, but not over Nicks and Britt. I thought Crabs would be the 3rd best receiver out of that group and DHB 4th. I didn't expect either to be All-Pro's, but i thought they would have performed at a higher level than either of them have thus far.

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I totally agree with you Imac. Crabtree hasnt earned his billing as the 10th pick here in SF. I know we have had this discussing before but with the way sing ran this team the only WRs I could see have 1k seasons the past few years here are Fitz and Calvin.

Davis had 914 yards receiving last year and 995 the year before that.
Who do you see having a 100 yard season this year? No one is on track to come close to that.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
My issue is that a top 10 pick should not be a guy that "is very talented in the right situation." He should be very talented in any situation.

Yes, there may be a kernel of truth to that, but I don't buy into that 100%. For most football players yes I would agree with that comment (e.g.MLB position - P. Willis). Unfortunately, it's not the same with regard to the wide receier position - a lot of a wide receivers' level of play stems from the quality of player he has out of the QB position. Guys like Steve Smith (panthers) and Larry Fitz were non factors for the past 2 years or so. People underrated how good of a player they were because of lack of production, but in reality I still think that a player like Larry Fitz is a better receiver than Andre Johnson. You put Larry in an offense like the Texans, people would be amazed (he would put up numbers like he did during that super bowl game with the Steelers) of how much of a true beast of player he is. If you put Crabtree in the Cowboys offense, he would explode, or vice versa...if we get a +300 plus yards per game type of a QB like Tony Romo in a 9ers uniform, he (Crabtree) would be a pro bowler. A few receivers who I believe are vastly underrated because of extraneous circumstances such as those highlighted above:

Crabtree, Rice, Harvin, DHB, Fitzgerald, Wayne (also considered overrated when Manning is in the lineup), Lloyd, Britt, Marshall.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
So DHB, whom I've been defending since DAY ONE and never stopped defending even when people said he doesn't belong in the league, just quietly had a 975 yard receiving season. Only 4 TDs, but Oakland's offense / QB play has been pretty bad.

I was hoping it would take him longer than this to develop because I wanted the Niners to trade for him. :(

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
So DHB, whom I've been defending since DAY ONE and never stopped defending even when people said he doesn't belong in the league, just quietly had a 975 yard receiving season. Only 4 TDs, but Oakland's offense / QB play has been pretty bad.

I was hoping it would take him longer than this to develop because I wanted the Niners to trade for him. :(

What brought on this bump?

They are close at this point.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
What brought on this bump?

They are close at this point.

That was I. I just noticed DHB's 975 yards & remembered this thread. The dude got absolutely trashed for 2 years, so I thought he deserved some accolades.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was I. I just noticed DHB's 975 yards & remembered this thread. The dude got absolutely trashed for 2 years, so I thought he deserved some accolades.

I remember a lot of guys liked DHB, i just don't recall many people viewing him as a top 10 pick. A lot of us liked him as a late 1st round prospect, though and he had those type of numbers this year. He still isn't producing like a top 10 pick.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I wanted the Niners to trade up from round 2 to get him at about 20 or so. I didn't think he was top 10 material either; Orakpo was my guy.

A lot of people liked him in college, but I don't know anyone else who still believed in him after his rookie year. The guy was as raw as raw gets though.

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Touchdown Raiders
Like I said, they are close.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Speaking of the Raiders being close: I also thought the trade for Seymour was a great move & a stupid move by the Pats. That move may have cost them a Superbowl title.

I don't know that Palmer is much good any more though. Never was the same after he destroyed his knee.

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Speaking of the Raiders being close: I also thought the trade for Seymour was a great move & a stupid move by the Pats. That move may have cost them a Superbowl title.

I don't know that Palmer is much good any more though. Never was the same after he destroyed his knee.

I am sorry, I meant that Crabtree and DHB are close at this point.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
How about neither? The best WR prospect that year was Kenny Britt, no matter how big of a dumbass he is.

Well yes, but this isn't DHB or Crabtree VS Kenny Britt revisited.

Also, I've never heard of anyone advocating the selection of Kenny Britt at 10 back then. Lots of players would've been better selections including Brian Orakpo. :)

I would still have drafted Percy ahead of all of them!!

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crabtree looked a lot more comfortable the last half of the season and started to show some of the skills that made him so great in college. He also quietly went from Smith's least productive target to one of this most productive.

Even looking back now I would still take Crabtree over DHB.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I was defending him as well, and really rooting for him. I may not have been as high on his abilities as you, but I just thought he was being attacked for a situation he didn't put himself in. I thought he would develop into a nice #2.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DHB showed more than speed. He actually made some nice catches in the middle of the field and showed some physical yards after the catch ability.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
That was the thing about him that caught my eye: DHB has one of the best skill sets for RAC of anyone in the NFL. It's not just track speed; he has a burst that translates to the field extremely well. And he's a big dude; granted I haven't seen him take hits enough to know if he has the toughness of a young TO or maybe a Dez Bryant.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
We are on a crusade to sign as many top 10 drafted players from years past as possible. Pencil him in, we can afford him.