• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cowboys defense

overtone22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No really. What did you guys do with our defense? :scratch: :clap:

Turnovers are hard for any defense to recover from. So Week One didn't tell us much about our D.

But this week we learned that when our Offense fires behind that O-Line and Murray, our Defense gets all the breathers and time they need to be fresh and ready. Really happy with this week's performance. Was an entire team effort with our O-Line carrying us.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was thinking the same thing about the cap Romo. To be honest UK my cap projections were based off of this season being a failure and you cutting Romo. If we go 8-8 or better Jerry will hold on for hope and we will resign everyone once more. Now here is the deal, let's say you go into next season right now everything the same with a cap at 150, you have about 19MM with no Dez, Murray, Carter, or McClain signed, not to mention Spencer who we might be looking to resign if he comes to form. Let's look at this, and forgive me as I am typing all this on my phone.

McClain- will not get a deal as big as Lee and guaranteed money will not be huge no matter how well he plays. I think he really loves it here and wants to be in a place he loves. Verdict 4yr 24MM/8 guaranteed, first year cap hit of 4MM. This 6year avg puts him between players like Lee and Dansby, which at this point if he plays to potential with his last seems fair.

Carter- looks like he has finally found a home at Sam; but 4-3 OLB's don't break the bank. Vontez just got paid 4yr/20ish on his extension look for somewhat the same maybe a little less for Carter 4yr/20MM/8guaranteed first year cap hit 3MM

Murray- this is a tough one, as RB's do not get the same amount of money they use to. However with that being said when healthy Murray could argue to be a top 5 RB. I think Murray gets paid around that 5-10 RB level which is 6-7MM a year. Let's say 5yr/33MM/12guaranteed with first year hit of 4MM.

Dez- won't even get into this contract as I believe it will be huge; but let's say first year cap hit of 8MM.

All these first year cap hits are low and add up to the 19MM in space we'd have IF the cap goes to 150MM. Well here is where the fun begins. If we are going to do this you have to know the belief is that Romo is good and you will restructure his deal which can create about 15MM.

You don't pick up Free's option which creates another 10ish MM.

You then ask yourself is Melton worth it at 9MM plus, I'll say for now sure, why not.

You restructure Tyron Smith which above all I would do no matter what, with out getting into the deal just trust me it's a thing of beauty this contract, they raped him bad. This could create another 7MM.

Do you keep Carr? If he plays this season like yesterday yes if not no. I'll say I'll be positive and say yes. However you can June 1st cut him and save 7.5MM which is draft $$$$. Let's not do this though.

So two restructures and one decline on a team option gives us roughly 32MM in space. Take aways 7MM roughly for Rookie and that's 25MM for FA's with all 4 big names signed. However if it was me I'd be cautious of Romo's restructure and would restructure Dez deal to create about 7MM on a cap hit of about 8MM in first year as young as he is versus Romo which would leave us with 24MM versus 32MM and subtract 7MM for rookies gives us about 17MM for FA's still a ton of Money left. That is what I'd do. Then I'd be free to cut Romo 2016 and save 6MM outright with no dead money in 2017 versus the restructure which would add 15MM in dead money after 2015 which would make his dead money number 26MM starting in 2016 with 4years left including 2016 which means you are now tied to Romo until at least 2017, which then if cut would have about 17MM in dead money with no additional restructures in 2016 versus about a 26MM cap hit.

In other words a million ways to play with it, but the key is the 2015 cap number which I project to be about 150MM. Let's pray I am right. More to come as year goes on.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, I honestly didnt think it would be possible to keep them all- McClain, Murray, Carter, Dez.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was thinking the same thing about the cap Romo. To be honest UK my cap projections were based off of this season being a failure and you cutting Romo. If we go 8-8 or better Jerry will hold on for hope and we will resign everyone once more. Now here is the deal, let's say you go into next season right now everything the same with a cap at 150, you have about 19MM with no Dez, Murray, Carter, or McClain signed, not to mention Spencer who we might be looking to resign if he comes to form. Let's look at this, and forgive me as I am typing all this on my phone.

McClain- will not get a deal as big as Lee and guaranteed money will not be huge no matter how well he plays. I think he really loves it here and wants to be in a place he loves. Verdict 4yr 24MM/8 guaranteed, first year cap hit of 4MM. This 6year avg puts him between players like Lee and Dansby, which at this point if he plays to potential with his last seems fair.

Carter- looks like he has finally found a home at Sam; but 4-3 OLB's don't break the bank. Vontez just got paid 4yr/20ish on his extension look for somewhat the same maybe a little less for Carter 4yr/20MM/8guaranteed first year cap hit 3MM

Murray- this is a tough one, as RB's do not get the same amount of money they use to. However with that being said when healthy Murray could argue to be a top 5 RB. I think Murray gets paid around that 5-10 RB level which is 6-7MM a year. Let's say 5yr/33MM/12guaranteed with first year hit of 4MM.

Dez- won't even get into this contract as I believe it will be huge; but let's say first year cap hit of 8MM.

All these first year cap hits are low and add up to the 19MM in space we'd have IF the cap goes to 150MM. Well here is where the fun begins. If we are going to do this you have to know the belief is that Romo is good and you will restructure his deal which can create about 15MM.

You don't pick up Free's option which creates another 10ish MM.

You then ask yourself is Melton worth it at 9MM plus, I'll say for now sure, why not.

You restructure Tyron Smith which above all I would do no matter what, with out getting into the deal just trust me it's a thing of beauty this contract, they raped him bad. This could create another 7MM.

Do you keep Carr? If he plays this season like yesterday yes if not no. I'll say I'll be positive and say yes. However you can June 1st cut him and save 7.5MM which is draft $$$$. Let's not do this though.

So two restructures and one decline on a team option gives us roughly 32MM in space. Take aways 7MM roughly for Rookie and that's 25MM for FA's with all 4 big names signed. However if it was me I'd be cautious of Romo's restructure and would restructure Dez deal to create about 7MM on a cap hit of about 8MM in first year as young as he is versus Romo which would leave us with 24MM versus 32MM and subtract 7MM for rookies gives us about 17MM for FA's still a ton of Money left. That is what I'd do. Then I'd be free to cut Romo 2016 and save 6MM outright with no dead money in 2017 versus the restructure which would add 15MM in dead money after 2015 which would make his dead money number 26MM starting in 2016 with 4years left including 2016 which means you are now tied to Romo until at least 2017, which then if cut would have about 17MM in dead money with no additional restructures in 2016 versus about a 26MM cap hit.

In other words a million ways to play with it, but the key is the 2015 cap number which I project to be about 150MM. Let's pray I am right. More to come as year goes on.

From everything I've seen or read, I think you are right on the money for next years cap number, and I think the Cowboys are counting on it as well. I think Jerry keeps Romo either way, even if he landed a QB in the first round if it's a long year. Jerry wants a Super Bowl more than anything, and I don't think he wants to wait another 3-4 years while a rookie QB is being brought along. I think Jerry has cleared some space only to go out and bury us again in the hopes of winning one with Romo next year. I expect the Cowboys to be big players in FA next season

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, I honestly didnt think it would be possible to keep them all- McClain, Murray, Carter, Dez.

It is and the only reason is we will be restructuring, Dez will have a low first year number or will be restructured (my preferred method for him due to age and talent), and Arabs aren't getting 10MM a year like they use to. Add in the fact that the only type of LB's that get the most dollars are 3-4 OLB's which are the same as 4-3 DE's and you see that both McClain and Carter are workable contracts, as they just aren't considers premium positions in the NFL like they use to.

Remember the days when the 4-3 LB's and RB's use to get the big bucks? Well that is no more, Safeties, TE's, and 3-4 OLB's are now those premium players. However FA can change this at any given year. Recall 4-3 DE's use to get 12-15MM a year then the last few years guys like Ware, Allen, Peppers, Avril, Bennett, etc have gotten 10 or less on average and that's the high end most getting half of what use to be.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From everything I've seen or read, I think you are right on the money for next years cap number, and I think the Cowboys are counting on it as well. I think Jerry keeps Romo either way, even if he landed a QB in the first round if it's a long year. Jerry wants a Super Bowl more than anything, and I don't think he wants to wait another 3-4 years while a rookie QB is being brought along. I think Jerry has cleared some space only to go out and bury us again in the hopes of winning one with Romo next year. I expect the Cowboys to be big players in FA next season

I think it all depends on the season, maybe the worse thing we can do is make the playoffs this year as it will give Jerry reason to resign Garrett and restructure Romo, two things that while I'm not totally against, I clearly believe there are far better options.

However the fan in me wants this team in the playoffs and a chance to win, and wants Jerry to reload via FA on this DL and maybe CB and Safety. Time will tell!

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By the end of the current season Romo will have been paid $29,908,000 that has not yet been accounted for against the cap. $10,773,000 is due to count in 2015, $9,135,000 in 2016, $7,500,000 in 2017, and $2,500,000 will count in 2018. Were Romo to be cut or traded before June 2nd 2015 all of that would have to be accounted for in the 2015 cap. Were he to be cut or traded after June 1st 2015, (or cut earlier with a post June 1st designation), the $10,773,000 would remain unaltered in 2015, but the combined $10,000,000 from the 2017 and 2018 scheduled cap hits would accelerate into the 2016 cap figure. That would turn Romo's 2016 cap hit into $19,135,000. It's do-able but it's hard to see the Cowboys remaining competitive.

The next thing to consider is that $7,500,000 of Romo's $17,000,000 salary in 2015 is already guaranteed. Since cutting ties with Romo before the 2015 season would only save $9,500,000 and harm the 2016 cap situation it's a near certainty for Romo to be back next year. Obviously a career-ending injury or a Schaub-like loss of form would force the Cowboys to cut bait and save the money. Realistically post June 1st in 2016 is the earliest date for the Cowboys to consider ending Romo's tenure with the team.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely took advantage of a young, average QB the first half. The TD they did score today was a fluke play. I thought the DBs were solid today as well, making plays on the ball. It was kind of scary when we went up 26-10 with 8:10 to go and they went 75 yrds in 1 minute. We just looked more physical today. I dont know if thats Murray and it carries over to the defense. It could be that monster wearing 55 in the middle, although Im sure he is probably making some mistakes. He brings a load when he hits though.

Would love to get some kind of pass rush. Locker missed some wide open WRs. Need to pass block better as well.

While the run blocking has been good the pass blocking has not. However the pass rush hasnt been outstanding, it actually has been better than I expected. While I don't think even getting guys back will make the team a top 20 defense, it might be a possibility with so many teams showing so far they are not good vs the run.