• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Could James Worthy have had a successful NBA career with the Cavs?

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In February of 1980, the Lakers traded Don Ford and their 1st rounder for that following offseason for Butch Lee and the Cavs 1982 first rounder.

Ted Stepien, the Cavs' owner at the time, is arguably the worst owner in sports history. The Lakers won titles in both 1980 and 1982, so they were scheduled to have the lowest pick in each round. The Cavs had the NBA's worst record in 1982, so they would have been guaranteed one of the top two picks barring the result of the coin flip.

1982 would mark the only time in NBA history that the title winner picked first in the draft. The Lakers used their pick on James Worthy. The Cavs would use their pick they acquired in the trade on Chad Kinch, who played in all of 29 games in his career for Cleveland.

As for the performance of the players the Cavs had acquired in the deal - Don Ford averaged just over 3 PPG in parts of three seasons with the Cavs. Kinch averaged 2.8 PPG in those said 29 games.

This was the absolute dumbest trade in NBA history, and a significant part of my argument that Pat Riley had been more lucky than good in his NBA existence. There was no second place. At least Kobe was traded for a decent player in Vlade Divac.

Worthy had been brought along relatively slowly by the Lakers with the presence of Magic and Kareem. He broke his leg as a rookie with five games left in the regular season, and didn't break into the starting lineup on a full-time basis until his third year with the Lakers.

So, I pose the question - Would James Worthy's career had been as successful had he been with the Cavs? Cleveland had the likes of Mike Mitchell, Scott Wedman, and James Edwards he could have learned behind.

It's not that Stepien didn't have talent on his roster; It's that he chose to do stupid things with it. Stern had done everything in his power to kick Stepien out of the league, and Stepien would only last just over a year longer in the NBA after Worthy was drafted.

Thoughts?

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From a championships won perspective, it's highly unlikely.

You could argue however, that from a personal stats perspective, Worthy would have been more successful in Cleveland because he would have been a starter and the teams #1 option from day 1.

He's a hall of famer and likely would have been regardless of who he played with.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe he made it onto the list of 50 greatest NBA players, so my answer is that yes, he would have had a successful NBA career even on the Cavs. Would it have been as successful? I don't think so because it's hard to be in a better situation than the '80's Lakers, but he really was one of the best players and I don't think poor Cavs ownership would've ruined him. Also, the Cavs did have some pretty good teams starting about the mid 1980's.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to stay for sure. He would have been a productive player, but I doubt he would have been in consideration as one of the better PFs of all time. Situation matters, and playing alongside Magic and Kareem was a big part of his development. Just like Jordan helped Pippen and Curry has benefited from being in the perfect system for his talents to blossom. Had he been drafted by Sacramento, I guarantee we are not talking about Curry and LeBron in the same breath.

Flauge

Still a Heat fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From a championships won perspective, it's highly unlikely.

You could argue however, that from a personal stats perspective, Worthy would have been more successful in Cleveland because he would have been a starter and the teams #1 option from day 1.

He's a hall of famer and likely would have been regardless of who he played with.

Flauge

Still a Heat fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to stay for sure. He would have been a productive player, but I doubt he would have been in consideration as one of the better PFs of all time. Situation matters, and playing alongside Magic and Kareem was a big part of his development. Just like Jordan helped Pippen and Curry has benefited from being in the perfect system for his talents to blossom. Had he been drafted by Sacramento, I guarantee we are not talking about Curry and LeBron in the same breath.

I don't think Worthy is in contention as one of the best ever. Duncan, Malone, Garnett, Pettit, Barkley, McHale, and Hayes.. I would easily take any of them over Worthy. This isn't really intended to be a slam on Worthy, who is a deserving HOFer.

Also, I don't care where Curry was drafted. That dude's efficiency from 3 combined with those handles... he would have taken this league over regardless.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but I doubt he would have been in consideration as one of the better PFs of all time.

Considering he was a small forward, you're right, he wouldn't be in consideration as one of the better PF's of all time.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Worthy is in contention as one of the best ever. Duncan, Malone, Garnett, Pettit, Barkley, McHale, and Hayes..

I would too. However, if we're talking about the position that Worthy actually played, I'd take him over any of those guys you mentioned.

ChrisGar15

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Worthy is in contention as one of the best ever. Duncan, Malone, Garnett, Pettit, Barkley, McHale, and Hayes.. I would easily take any of them over Worthy. This isn't really intended to be a slam on Worthy, who is a deserving HOFer.

Also, I don't care where Curry was drafted. That dude's efficiency from 3 combined with those handles... he would have taken this league over regardless.

After his first 2-3 seasons, he had the reputation of a good shooter -- but fragile ankles (injury prone) and a bad on defense.

I think people like him a little more now.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, so not a PF. And not on the elite level, but top 15-20 at his position.

In my defense though, if Worthy were playing today he would likely be a stretch 4.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. His game was fueled wild parties and golden women late nights at the Forum. He'd have washed out of the league in 6 months if he saw those Cleveland women

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess a fair question would be - Would be have been good enough to bring one championship to Cleveland? It's safe to say that no matter how the Cavs were managed, they were never going to surround him with a Magic or Kareem.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess a fair question would be - Would be have been good enough to bring one championship to Cleveland? It's safe to say that no matter how the Cavs were managed, they were never going to surround him with a Magic or Kareem.

No. He was a complementary player, not a franchise player.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No, not because he wouldn't have still been an all-time great and hall of famer, but because it's very unlikely that he gets the team around him that he had with the Lakers. As we all know, no matter how good a guy is, no one wins a title by themselves.

I'd say that he'd have been among the leagues leading scorers every season, been a perennial all-star, and maybe even been in the running for MVP most years. But it's doubtful that he wins any championships.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, so not a PF. And not on the elite level, but top 15-20 at his position.

In my defense though, if Worthy were playing today he would likely be a stretch 4.

There aren't 15-20 small forwards in league history that are better than James Worthy. Worthy is listed as one of the top 50 players of all-time.

Not sure I agree that he would be a stretch 4 in today's game. Although, it's hard to say for sure because with the 3 point shot being such a big part of the game, he likely practices it a lot more growing up. But he was so quick and had so many great post moves, it would take away a lot of what made him so good.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There aren't 15-20 small forwards in league history that are better than James Worthy. Worthy is listed as one of the top 50 players of all-time.

Not sure I agree that he would be a stretch 4 in today's game. Although, it's hard to say for sure because with the 3 point shot being such a big part of the game, he likely practices it a lot more growing up. But he was so quick and had so many great post moves, it would take away a lot of what made him so good.

I say that because there are so few traditional 4s today. The fact that Worthy could play in the post and also step out and face makes him the ideal 4 in today's game, IMO. You want a versatile, skilled player in that spot.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say that because there are so few traditional 4s today. The fact that Worthy could play in the post and also step out and face makes him the ideal 4 in today's game, IMO. You want a versatile, skilled player in that spot.

True. He's 6'9" which is certainly tall enough, but he only weighed 225, so he was a little light in the ass. His speed and quickness would be a big advantage, so you may be right. He may have been an ideal 4 in today's game after all. It's not like there are any Maurice Lucas's or Rick Mahorn's in the league today.

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, not because he wouldn't have still been an all-time great and hall of famer, but because it's very unlikely that he gets the team around him that he had with the Lakers. As we all know, no matter how good a guy is, no one wins a title by themselves.

I'd say that he'd have been among the leagues leading scorers every season, been a perennial all-star, and maybe even been in the running for MVP most years. But it's doubtful that he wins any championships.

'89 would have been the year to do it if at all possible. Jordan certainly would have never been in position to hit "the shot" if the Cavs had Worthy in that series. The Bulls went on to take the eventual champion Pistons to six games. Lord only knows what would have happened had Detroit matched up with a Worthy-led Cavs team.

The East was super-tough in the 80's, though. So it would have been a long shot for the Cavs to get their due...

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
'89 would have been the year to do it if at all possible. Jordan certainly would have never been in position to hit "the shot" if the Cavs had Worthy in that series. The Bulls went on to take the eventual champion Pistons to six games. Lord only knows what would have happened had Detroit matched up with a Worthy-led Cavs team.

The East was super-tough in the 80's, though. So it would have been a long shot for the Cavs to get their due...

But, if the Cavs had Worthy, it certainly would have impacted the rest of their roster. Perhaps they don't wind up with all those other stars. We can't simply assume he plays alongside Ehlo, Price, Daugherty, nance and Williams.